Phantom487
#0"Wicked" Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 1:29am

Are there any pics out there yet???

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#1re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 4:30am

From what I've watched, it was scary. Scary, scary scary!

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#2re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 7:58am

It's not that bad! I think with abit more direction to it, it's actually better watching that then the real show!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

Fiction Writer
#3re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 1:55pm

I watched it too. Unless it was cut and I just didn't notice, there wasn't a Fiyero, there wasn't a Madame Morrible and Galinda didn't fly in the bubble in the opening song, which was One Short Day.

Also, the stage was tiny.

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#4re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 4:40pm

AshleyBrown, unless the video is on the official US-J site, I advise you not to post the link as Craig said in the different thread, linking to an illegal footage will result in deleting the entire thread.

Having said that, you can easily find the clips in the "you know what" site. I only watched "Popular" but the translation is yet to be desired. They kept "populer, -- ar!" as is, which doesn't make any sense to Japanese audience.

Glinda is a Japanese actress but Ephalba seems to be a foreigher who speaks Japanese. Interesting choice. I bet they couldn't find a Japanese actress who can belt.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#5re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 6:18pm

that press video was... interesting, the cutting and order was bizarre(the wizard and i AFTER meeting the wizard?). for those who have not see it this was the rundown of the showcase (it seemed to be to show them what was to come)
-one short day
-scene leading into sentimental man
-what is this feeling
-the wizard and i
-popular (in the yellow dress on a the suitcase pile)
-sentimental man
-defying gravity (up to "i hope you're happy now that your choosing this")
-for good
-defying gravity ("its me" to the end)

i'd love to know who was playing elphaba she sounded american

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

SarahBeth Profile Photo
SarahBeth
#6re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 6:21pm

It was Wicked performed in half an hour with the entire order switched around. It was weird. I hope it was some kind of preview.

"I'll show you a laughgasm. I'll gasm all over this stage!"
"Interesting choice"

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#7re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 6:37pm

My friend is friends with the Elphaba there. She went to Boco.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Yero
#8re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 6:39pm

"that press video was... interesting, the cutting and order was bizarre(the wizard and i AFTER meeting the wizard?). for those who have not see it this was the rundown of the showcase (it seemed to be to show them what was to come)
-one short day
-scene leading into sentimental man
-what is this feeling
-the wizard and i
-popular (in the yellow dress on a the suitcase pile)
-sentimental man
-defying gravity (up to "i hope you're happy now that your choosing this")
-for good
-defying gravity ("its me" to the end)

i'd love to know who was playing elphaba she sounded american"

It makes sense because everything after the first Wizard scene is a flashback.. incase you missed that.

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

Kungaloosh1937 Profile Photo
Kungaloosh1937
#9re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 6:49pm

It really astounds me just how dense some people are.

It's a 30 minute cut for a major theme park. Of course it's not going to be the whole show. The school days are obviously told in flashback once they arrive in the Emerald City.

It makes perfect sense, and the show ends with Elphaba defying the wizard and gravity. Makes a great ad for the full show.

Yero
#10re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 7:04pm

Thank you, Kungaloosh1937, that's what I was trying to say.

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee
Updated On: 7/14/06 at 07:04 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#11re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 7:14pm

It's for Universal Studios Japan.

Holly Therese Profile Photo
Holly Therese
#12re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:55pm

One of the discriptions of the videos on the naughty page says Elphaba is played by Jillian Giacchi.

"You know, with the right volume, Patti LuPone can make a car bounce, too...." -Wonderwaiter

Fiction Writer
#13re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:09pm

Why would the flashback start in the middle of the show?

#14re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:15pm

that Jillian chick is only like 23 years old

nztheatreluva Profile Photo
nztheatreluva
#15re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:27pm

Am I wrong or was Wizard & I in english yet popular was in Japanese? Does this seem strange to anyone else

J'ai compris tous les mots, j'ai bien compris, merci.............

Fiction Writer
#16re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:37pm

That's how it is most of the time. The Wizard and I is English, One Short Day is mixed, Popular is Japanese, Sentimental Man is Japanese, Defying Gravity is English.

It seemed to me that Galinda spoke Japanese more and Elphaba spoke English more.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#17re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:40pm

Elphaba sang mostly english, but when she was speaking it is in Japanese.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

Fiction Writer
#18re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:51pm

I loved how they cut out Fiyero. They made the entire thirty minute fiasco pointless.

fakeblue Profile Photo
fakeblue
#19re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 10:58pm

>Why would the flashback start in the middle of the show?

Because, wicked is little-known show in Japan. which means they never know about story. Updated On: 7/15/06 at 10:58 PM

Fiction Writer
#20re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 11:06pm

Your post sounds like you're trying to speak with a Japanese accent, in English...

.LittleWing. 0224 Profile Photo
.LittleWing. 0224
#21re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 11:07pm

part of the reason so much change had to happen and it ended up at its current 30 minute state, aside from the fact that it is a production for a theme park - is a reading of it with the entire script directly translated from english to japanese happened, and a few japanese-speaking natives come in to listen. the entire thing made very little sense in japanese b/c, naturally, it didnt all translate perfectly. so it wasn't possible to just pick up whats on broadway now, change the language, shorten it a bit, and wa-la! also, bc there is less of a familiarity with wizard of oz, most of the references and jokes that work and get laughs in english speaking productions that clearly refer to the WoO, simply didnt work.

a lot of thought went into what would work for japanese theme park audiences and this version is a far cry from a quick 30 minute money maker version of the show.

RustyRocketteBoy Profile Photo
RustyRocketteBoy
#22re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/14/06 at 11:17pm

i went to school with jillian. she is from new jersey. shes really talented! GO BOSTON CONSERVATORY!

Stop worrying if your vision is new. Let others make that decision- They usually do. You keep moving on. Anything you do, Let it come from you. Then it will be new. Give us more to see... ~Sunday In the Park with George

Kungaloosh1937 Profile Photo
Kungaloosh1937
#23re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/15/06 at 12:25am

Fiyero, a near pointless character - has been excised from the cut version and you say it makes the whole thing "pointless."

If anything, it makes the cut show more focused.

And if you take two seconds to think about it - the flashback HAS to happen somewhere other than where it does in the actual show. They don't show Elphaba melting, there is no reason to begin the show there as the show HAS to end on Defying Gravity for the cut to work dramatically. Therefore, making the back story a flashback before the dramatic ending is the only feasible way for the story to work.

Seriously, this is a version of the show for a theme park - what do you want? Quit complaining and go watch the Broadway show if it upsets you all so much.

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#24re: 'Wicked' Japan Pics???
Posted: 7/16/06 at 4:08pm

Defying Gravity is HORRIBLE in the Japanese version. The lift is so obvious she really just looks silly up there.

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

Videos