Broadway Ushers

lisa902652
#0Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:04pm

People pay alot of money to go to the theater. Does anyone else feel that most ushers are just rude and do not know how to speak to patrons. I went to see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and the large african american usher in the mezzanine was just plane abusive. Can they speak to patrons in a way other than condescending? Has anyone else had a experience where you just can understand why the do not hire ushers who would be "nice" to the patrons.
Updated On: 7/22/06 at 09:04 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#1re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:06pm

What dose an Usher being African AMerican change anything?

SweetQintheLights
#2re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:08pm

"What dose an Usher being African AMerican change anything?"

I was wondering that also but I think she was just refering to ushers in general and just happened to explain this person specifically.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

etoile
#3re: Broadway Ushers

I've never had a problem with an usher, but I have come across some less than delightful theater patrons.

Rest in peace, Iflitifloat.

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#4re: Broadway Ushers

Well this guy might agree with you:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardname=bway&thread=903692#2325509

"Have they come yet?"

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#5re: Broadway Ushers

"the large african american usher in the mezzanine was just plane abusive"

Wait, I thought this was about ushers, not flight attendants.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#6re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:10pm

The detail was to see if anyone had any incidents with him/her. I agree.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

ZONEACE
#7re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:11pm

its a more politically correct way of saying the "Big Black Usher" Its a way of refering to a specific usher.

Saying "large african american" is no different from saying "red haired woman" .

lets all calm down before we start crying racism.

People are so damn sensetive

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.
Updated On: 7/22/06 at 09:11 PM

SweetQintheLights
#8re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:14pm

There is one usher in the Golden Theatre (Avenue Q) mezzanine that is NASTY! I asked for 1 extra playbill and she said no and that it was 1 per person.
I asked another usher for an extra 1 extra and she gave me 3 more playbills.

The same nasty usher told the person next to me to put her phone away (she was turning it off.)

Someone brought a bottle of water (with a cap) and she told them they couldn't have it.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

xbRadxx Profile Photo
xbRadxx
#9re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:16pm

I have come accross MANY unpleasant ushers!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#10re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:18pm

I think that they described the usher because if other people had a problem with a "large african american usher" they can share their stories as well. It didn't seem as if it was meant to be offensive.

WickedMuzzy422 Profile Photo
WickedMuzzy422
#11re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:34pm

haha. flight attendants!!

"Labels are for cans, not for people." --anthony Rapp

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#12re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:37pm

Sort of off-topic..but about ushers. How does one become an usher?

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#13re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:39pm

Some are horrible but I had a great experience today at The Wedding Singer. My friends and I got rush tickets at the last minute and two of us were in one row (with two seats next to us that were empty at that point), and my other friend was in the row behind us. As the usher was seating us, he told her that if nobody comes by the second song, she should move up. Then, about 2 minutes before curtain, there were still no people next to me so he told my friend to move up and if the people got there she should just move back and if they got mad, the should talk to him because he was behind us on the move. It was really sweet.

Whatever happened to class?

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#14re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:41pm

I have a problem with the majority of the ushers/staff in New York theatres. The only people who are generally polite or nice are the merchandise people and the bar tender because you are going to have to spend more money for the merchandise or the drink.

The ushers have been condescending, plain old rude, and/or pushy in almost all of the venues. It especially cracks me up at the Nederlander considering the message of the show that is playing there.

I also had a problem with Avenue Q ushers. I had a bag from Dean and Deluca, and they wouldn't let me take it in or check it anywhere. I admit that it had baked goods, but I wasn't planning on chowing down during the show and I said so. It was a closed box of cookies for goodness sake! I was also willing to pay to check it or what not. Eventually, I had to run back to my hotel which was nearby and put it in my room because otherwise I'd just have to throw it away or leave it in the lobby.

I especially love rude ushers that don't do anything about rude audience members. Hey, if I have to deal with rude audience members that aren't told to sit, be quiet, or what not, I'd rather find my own seat. I'm perfectly capable of finding my own seat.

Ushers are generally the least pleasant part of my theatre experience in NY. I've seen shows in Chicago, San Diego, Dallas, Atlanta, and St. Louis and I've never had a problem in any other area. It's not like I don't know theatre etiquette, I learned that around age 3.

*end rant*

Edited to add: Elphaba, I'm glad you had a good experience. That's really nice to hear.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?
Updated On: 7/22/06 at 09:41 PM

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#15re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:43pm

I've come across some real idiot ushers. REAL idiots.

Richie and the whole gang of theatre staff at the Palace (from my All Shook Up days! ='( how I miss them) were the most kind people in the world. And I really liked the two ushers I came in contact with at the Hirschfeld (Wedding Singer) last time I was there... they were a hoot!

Though it doesn't excuse some of their bad behavior and attitudes, they must come in contact with thousands of human fecal matter every performance.

#16re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:46pm

I've had problems with some of the ushers at The Lion King; they were really rude and I actually saw some people giving them back a dose of their own medicine. But there's also those nice ushers that balance things out.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#17re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:53pm

When I encounter the rude ushers I always smile and ask "awwww....do you need a hug?". It's a gentle way of letting them know that they are coming off as a b*tch.

SweetQintheLights
#18re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 9:53pm

I also had a problem with Avenue Q ushers. I had a bag from Dean and Deluca, and they wouldn't let me take it in or check it anywhere. I admit that it had baked goods, but I wasn't planning on chowing down during the show and I said so. It was a closed box of cookies for goodness sake! I was also willing to pay to check it or what not. Eventually, I had to run back to my hotel which was nearby and put it in my room because otherwise I'd just have to throw it away or leave it in the lobby.

That's crazy! If your hotel wasn't close- you'd really have to throw it out? And how about if it had clothing in it from Macy's or something? Would they not allow that to be brought in either? That's nuts.

hermionejuliet
#19re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 10:02pm

Yup, if my hotel hadn't been around the corner I would have lost the ten bucks I spent at Dean and Deluca. Granted, if I wasn't coming from around 50th street, I would have dropped the bag off ahead of time. They said it was because it was food, but it wasn't bringing in a pretzel in parchment paper or hamburger. It was a sealed box, and I wouldn't had a problem checking it. They just didn't have anywhere to check it!

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#20re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 10:03pm

The worst Usher I saw had to be at Chicago in the Left Mezzanine! She was yelling at people who sat in the wrong seat. She was like "you cant come to a Bway show if you cant count." I was so shocked!!
Then she whispered to my dad "People should learn how to F***ing count" and "no body understands my F***ing english."
I truly could not belive what I was witnessing, she was just so horrible. I was tempted to report her to the mmanager, but the show was starting.

hermionejuliet
#21re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 10:05pm

Dang! There are just happy ushers everywhere! re: Broadway Ushers

SweetQintheLights
#22re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 10:26pm

Don't Broadway ushers make good money?

ThankstoPhantom
#23re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 11:03pm

Out of the four Nederlander Theatres I've been to, only one has had rather pushy ushers, so they have a good track record with me. The Marquis had the nicest.

The Majestic was nice when I was there three years ago.

The Broadhurst is like walking through the Amazon Trail.

The Walter Kerr has nice ushers as well.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

missyrose87
#24re: Broadway Ushers
Posted: 7/22/06 at 11:11pm

I have said this before, but the usher at the Gershwin was very rude to me. I would actually prefer to see Wicked on tour somewhere, because I won't go back to the Gershwin.