pixeltracker

Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread

Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread

snl89
#0Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 2:58pm

okay, so I saw the thread for LaChiusa Wild Party, and realized that I dont think we have one for Lippa's Wild Party, do we? and that's a shame, cause its a friggin brilliant show with brilliant cast members!! sooo... let's discuss! hehe

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#1re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 3:47pm

I'm a big fan. The cast is uniformly great. It's a really fun recording (I haven't seen it live).

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#2re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 4:34pm

I like the recording. It's nice, but I've got some problems with it...

1) It doesn't do justice to the source poem, Lippa has lightened it up. Making it much less dark and more showy than I thought would be nice

2) any show set in the 20s that has a number entitled: Raise the Roof has problems. A lot just doesn't fit.

It's a great cast recording, but I prefer LaChiusa's.

(I still listen to this one a little too much, probably) :)

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#3re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 4:38pm

Lippa's Wild Party is one of the greatest pieces of work. I disagree with Caroline and think that the show is quite dark. Andrew Lippa is one of the greatest composers in my opinion, and I absolutely love all of his music. The show had a stellar cast. Brian D'arcy James, Taye Diggs, Idina Menzel, and my personal favorite, Julia Murney. The supporting cast and ensemble were great as well. This cast recording is the only one that brings me into the show. I love this show.

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#4re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 4:44pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Lippa's Wild Party. The cast is amazing.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#5re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 4:46pm

a funny amazon.com review of this cast recording had a broadway "know it all" telling us matter-of-factly that Britney Murney will be taking over for Stephnaie J Block in the Wicked tour and Idena Menzell is married to Teye Diggs.

quite funny. :)

anywho- each to his right? No use arguing.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

alliez92092
#6re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 4:49pm

OOOOO, do you have the link to that?

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#7re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 4:49pm

I love a lot of LaChiusa's work but, I liked Lippa's Wild Party better.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#8re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 4:53pm

not as of now (yay for sloooow internet) but if you search for The Wild Party and read some of Lippa's reviews you'll find it!!! It's tres funny re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread

alliez92092
#9re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 4:54pm

I love people like that, they entertain me and kind of boost my self-esteem pointing out I'm actually not that ignorant when it comes to this stuff. I know that sounds awful, but you know what I mean.

snl89
#10re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 5:05pm

HAHAHAH that is really really funny about the review. I must see that. *goes to look*

and yeah.. so I have established that Idina is at the absolute TOP of her game on this recording. Seriously, the music just fits her voice like a glove, and her songs are def some of my favs on the cd :P

Julia is also really rather incredible, I'd never really heard her before hearing this cd, and to be quite honest I didn't personally looove her voice at first for some reason, but it totally grew on me!

Oh, and taye sounds sexier than ever on this. And that is all :P

and um... best song? Make Me Happy. By far. Holy. Friggin. COW.

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#11re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 5:32pm

Cast is amazing. Interesting story. LOVE it.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

bwayfan3 Profile Photo
bwayfan3
#12re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 6:06pm

I can't think of another recording I enjoy so much without ever having seen the show.

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#13re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 6:09pm

The four of them together is simply astonishing.

mmm...Julia Murney

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#14re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 8:03pm

Brian d'Arcy James is perfection. Love this show.

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#15re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 8:12pm

I love all the vocals in this show. I want Brian D'Arcy James' voice almost as much as I want Brian Stokes Mitchel's. Those triple-named Brians sure can sing.

Question to anyone who saw the original run: Could you descirbe the set in as much detail as possible?

Thanks,

Akiva

Sargar
#16re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 8:16pm

i LOVE the cast recording, but yet another one that I never got to see performed...I actually think Taye is a weak link among the stellar cast, at least vocally (since that's obviously all I have to go by)

"Hey Joey McIntyre, is there a balcony in Madison Square Garden? Joey knows his venues a little better than me. That's okay...I have a bigger part on broadway...:)" -Idina Menzel

lindsay33
#17re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 8:32pm

Just because the topic came up, if anyone living in New England would like to see a great production of Lippa's Wild Party, there's one going up next weekend in Nashua, NH (about 40 minutes outside of Boston).

The cast is composed of college-aged students enrolled in theatre programs (Juilliard, Hartt, Circle in the Square, Emerson, Marymount, AMDA), and I promise you they do not disappoint. If It's a rare opportunity to see this show performed live, you don't want to miss out! This especially goes for those who love the recording...there are so many wonderful musical moments that weren't included on the CD.

For more information, you can call (603) 886-7000 (or feel free to send me an email).

MySpace Event Page: The Wild Party Updated On: 8/3/06 at 08:32 PM

snl89
#18re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 8:33pm

You know, its really interesting.. a took a LONG time to warm up to Brian and Julia... and I'm really not sure why. Just, at first I was like, kinda of annoyed by them. And it took me listening to the cd maybe 5 or 6 times through to really appreciate that they ARE great. Especially Brian. I think the think is the character of Burrs really annoys me, and it took me a while to realize that Brian was actually DOING him extraordiinarily well, and thats WHY he annoyed me. haha. But yeah... he's extremely talented and I totally get that now :)

Queenie Was A Blonde Profile Photo
Queenie Was A Blonde
#19re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 9:36pm

Oh dear lord. This is quite possibly one of my favorite shows. The cast is to die for. And yes on the Make Me Happy. Its heaven.

"Dont look at me that way Your ears and your eyes Got used to the lies But you're getting the truth today"

"Ah the city. So many lights you can actually pretend one of them is shining on you."

CLIFF: "There was a cabaret and there was a master of ceremonies and there was a city called Berlin in a country called Germany - and it was the end of the world and I was dancing with Sally Bowles - and we were both fast asleep"

rose_pearl Profile Photo
rose_pearl
#20re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 10:06pm

Make Me Happy is incredible. Every time I listen to it, I think "And this is just the recording!" I wonder how amazing it was live.

And Brian's Let Me Drown is fantastic as well. Well...he *is* the d'Arcy monster.

I agree about Taye being the "weak link."

~*Sara*~

Who would play you in the movie? "Taye Diggs." --Brian d'Arcy James

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
#21re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 10:16pm

Can anyone explain to me the differences between the two and why there were two in the first place?

bwayfan3 Profile Photo
bwayfan3
#22re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 10:27pm

In my opinion, Taye isn't the "weak link", he's just a different kind of voice than the other 3 more bombastic voices. And to me, this also dramatically made sense since I feel that Black is a totally different personality than Kate, Queenie or Burrs.

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
#23re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 10:29pm

Anyone? Anyone? Buler? Buler?

LifeoftheParty227 Profile Photo
LifeoftheParty227
#24re: Lippa Wild Party appreciation thread
Posted: 8/3/06 at 11:48pm

I personally thought LaChiusa's Wild Party was a disaster. In my opinion though.

Videos