Ragtime Fans (pictures now!)

jjoey076 Profile Photo
jjoey076
#0Ragtime Fans (pictures now!)
Posted: 8/13/06 at 5:53pm

Hey guys. I just finished doing Ragtime playing Tateh, and I'm wondering if A) anyone is familiar with the show, and B) if you are, what's your favorite part/song(s)?

My favorite songs are Journey On, New Music, and Sarah Brown Eyes

I personally think the entire show is a masterpiece, what do you think?

EDIT: per one's request, here are some pictures. They're not too great of quality, but I'd like to know what you think.

Ragtime Fans (pictures now!) Tateh and Emma

Ragtime Fans (pictures now!) Tateh and Emma

Ragtime Fans (pictures now!) The black people

Ragtime Fans (pictures now!) Coalhouse

Ragtime Fans (pictures now!) Til We Reach That Day

Ragtime Fans (pictures now!) Evelyn and Harry

Ragtime Fans (pictures now!) Buffalo Nickel Photoplay, Inc.

Ragtime Fans (pictures now!) Mother and Father

Ragtime Fans (pictures now!) Back to Before

Ragtime Fans (pictures now!) Finale

Ragtime Fans (pictures now!) The Family

Updated On: 8/13/06 at 05:53 PM

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#1re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 5:54pm

Couldn't agree more--it's a true masterpiece.

My favorite songs are New Music, Wheels of A Dream, and Til We Reach That Day.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

#2re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 5:57pm

Timeless--- Flaherty and Ahrens (actually ANYONE) at their best!

pianoman215 Profile Photo
pianoman215
#3re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:00pm

In my top three musicals of all time. Makes me cry just listening to the cast cd.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:00pm

Should have won the Tony for Best Musical

Poster Emeritus

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#5re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:01pm

One of the best ever written.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

jjoey076 Profile Photo
jjoey076
#6re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:01pm

If only The Lion King had not been out at the same time.

xluckystar2107x Profile Photo
xluckystar2107x
#7re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:03pm

well gee, yes i do suppose it IS a masterpiece.

i quite enjoy Our Children. especially the off off off broadway version with Joe Homza and Molly Garbe. haha.

but i mean come on, nothing compares to CATS.
re: Ragtime Fans
Updated On: 8/13/06 at 06:03 PM

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#8re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:04pm

My absolute favorite show. re: Ragtime Fans

Anyway, my favorite parts are the end of "Prologue: Ragtime" during the, "And there was distant music, skipping a beat, singing a dream..." to the end, and all of "New Music." And "He Wanted to Say," and "Make Them Hear You"... oh, I just love the entire score so much.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#9re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:05pm

Last great American musical

Poster Emeritus

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#10re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:06pm

My favorite show as well...a theatrical experience I will always remember!

exedore
#11re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:11pm

Out of curiosity, do they use the revised "lite" edition from the 2NT when licensing Ragtime out for regional productions? IMHO as good as the show was, the second act definately dragged and needed some trimming.

Personal favourite songs? Til We Reach That Day is hands down one of the best songs ever written for the stage. I always feel strongly moved by The Night That Goldman Spoke At Union Square and Coalhouse's Soliloquy/Your Daddy's Son.

This makes me want a new show from A&F. Does anyone know what they're working on now?

jjoey076 Profile Photo
jjoey076
#12re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:13pm

I'm not sure what 2NT means, but the second act is intact, it seems, in accordance with the recording.

camp_actor
#13re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:18pm

Yes, Ragtime is an incredible show. The music is beautiful and just structurally it really WORKS! It's such a shame for us Brits that the West End production was such a wash out. Just not well produced or cast at all...apart from Graham Bickley who was fantastic as Tateh. And Younger Brother was very good too - Matthew White I believe it was.

My favourite songs are "Wheels of a Dream", "Make Them Hear You" and "Your Daddy's Son" - The last is probably the most gut-wrenching song I ever heard. Audra McDonald is AMAZING. I wish I didn't see it being performed so often in concerts by people who obviously have no idea that it's about a woman coming to terms with the fact that she's had a break down and LITERALLY buried her child in the ground. That's absolutely destroying - but so often I have heard it sung like it's just a lullaby or a song about a man... *despairs*

Chanticleer148 Profile Photo
Chanticleer148
#14re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:21pm

Definately should have won the Tony Award. I saw it three times in New York, and was more impressed with each visit. an especially powerful moment is when Sarah's Friend begins the funeral song, "Till We Reach That Day."

WOW!!

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#15re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:50pm

LOVE this show.

xluckystar2107x...what are you talking about?

Magicupoursleeves Profile Photo
Magicupoursleeves
#16re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 6:57pm

Oh...i love this show! My favorite song of the moment is "The Night that Goldman Spoke. It's subject to change at a moments notice, I just currently would give an arm and a leg to play that part. Has anyone read the book? I thought it was very good.

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#17re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 7:32pm

2NT means 2nd National Tour. They used a "lite" version of the show. The major changes include Edgar's Act Two opening number being cut, and a highly shortened version of He Wanted to Say. Both versions are available to rent.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#18re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 7:43pm

This show is easily the best musical of the 1990's, a show that deserved much more than it got, including the Tony (and I very much enjoyed The Lion King, but come on!).

My favorite moment in the show is Back to Before, especially when the actress playing Mother can both act the song and belt it to the rafters. I also enjoy the last part of the opening, when the the three groups, with the the three leads in the middle, are moving in pyramids, culminating in moments of tension. That's a BRILLIANT bit of staging that Graciela Danielle came up with. I could go on forever about my favorite moments in Ragtime, because there is so much to love there.

Reverie
#19re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 7:50pm

Like many others have said, Ragtime is a masterpiece. My favorite song is Wheels of a Dream. Words cannot express how much I love that song.

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#20re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 8:07pm

I love this show. My favorite song would have to be "Make the Hear You". When Brian Stokes Mitchell sang that song, it gave me such chills. I also love "Your Daddy's Son". It makes me cry.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#21re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 8:08pm

"My favorite moment in the show is Back to Before, especially when the actress playing Mother can both act the song and belt it to the rafters"

Oh man...when Rachel York played Mother at Papermill...gah, what a thrilling moment.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#22re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 8:17pm

Ahhh.....my favorite show. I love it. My favorite song is Back To Before, so powerful.

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

gavrochegirl
#23re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 8:23pm

I love Ragtime! My favorite songs are New Music and What A Game. I wish I could see it live...I had an opportunity to do that, but I don't think I was even aware of it at the time.

What the puck?!

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#24re: Ragtime Fans
Posted: 8/13/06 at 8:25pm

Rachel York used a very interesting speaking voice for Mother IMO. When she did her opening speech I thought, "Is she trying to be Carol Channing?" But by the end of Journey On she had me under her spell. What a voice. The DVD of Kiss Me, Kate (which I thought she was great in) does not do her justice.

EDIT: By the way jjoey076, I would LOVE to see any photos of your production either onstage or off! If you have any please post a link or you can always PM me! Updated On: 8/13/06 at 08:25 PM

Videos