Goodbye, DRS

bohemianxsunshine Profile Photo
bohemianxsunshine
#0Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/20/06 at 8:16pm

Yes, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is going off broadway on September 3rd. Yes, I bet it's pretty old news, but does anyone have any last words to say before this brilliant show finishes?

theatre major, class of 2011 ♥
MARIAN: Well, what would you like to take out?
HAROLD HILL: The librarian.
MARIAN: Quiet, please!
HAROLD HILL: (whispering)The librarian.

I would like to invite you to Voices for Rent! The Official Rent fanbase! Come and join your fellow RENTheads!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#1re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/20/06 at 8:18pm

The run was too short & it deserved a much longer run. Cats runs a million years & this closes after 1 1/2 years. Go figure

Poster Emeritus

Mattbrain
#2re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/20/06 at 8:18pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels will always be one of the funniest shows I have ever seen on Broadway. And I will miss it. However, I will never forgive Norbert for not being there that day. Although his understudy was awesome.

And so with those words:

It was a ball
It was a blast
It was a shame it couldn't last
But it was almost too prodigious to discuss
So we got screwed for fifty grand
I think we both deserve a hand
Dirty rotten guys
Like us

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."
Updated On: 8/20/06 at 08:18 PM

x_FedUp Profile Photo
x_FedUp
#3re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/20/06 at 8:20pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was my first Broadway show ever. It was hilarious and def. deserved a longer run.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#4re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/20/06 at 8:21pm

I love this show with all my heart. Wonderful music, great book and characters... Of course the OBC will always be "it" for me with this show... Certainly one of the best shows ever IMO- at least most certainly of the last decade.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

kate2
#5re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/20/06 at 8:24pm

I really don't understand how such a great show has to close! I agree, EponineAmneris, it is/was the best show ever.

bohemianxsunshine Profile Photo
bohemianxsunshine
#6re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/20/06 at 8:25pm

I was so close to seeing this show, but my mom wouldn't let me go. She didn't think it was appropriate for my age, but considering I saw and understood RENT at a younger age..well lets just say i wasnt the happiest camper about her decision. yes, the OBC almost always is the best. I absolutely adore norbert *squeel* and my favorite song is Dirty Rotten Number (yes, i have the music though). yes, i will truly miss it, but at least there are some recordings on youtube that let me get excited about the show. definately deserved a longer run.

theatre major, class of 2011 ♥
MARIAN: Well, what would you like to take out?
HAROLD HILL: The librarian.
MARIAN: Quiet, please!
HAROLD HILL: (whispering)The librarian.

I would like to invite you to Voices for Rent! The Official Rent fanbase! Come and join your fellow RENTheads!

bwayondabrain
#8re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/20/06 at 8:48pm

yeah, it definitely deserved a longer run than it has had- come on, MAMMA-MIA! just played like 3,000 or 5,000 performances (which one?) and DRS only plays 666....whats the matter with tourists and Broadway?
anyhow, i really enjoyed this show-it was my first show I was obsessed with besides WICKED. :P saw it with Norbert, Rachel, Jonathan, and MYLINDA!!! and had one of the best times ever. and something really different happened- i think my parents were laughing more than i was! they absolutely loved this show, as did I
i'll always remember what a great and funny show it was, how it shouldve won more Tonys including Best Musical, and how im mentioned in the DRS section of the playbill yearbook...

so yeah, bye DRS! it was fun!
re: Goodbye, DRS

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#9re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/20/06 at 10:00pm

I just saw the new cast yesterday and I was just so upset when I was leaving the theatre. It is too good of a show to close so soon. It deserved a longer run, especially with the new cast. Brian d'Arcy James is really great as Freddie. I will really miss Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

I have to say though, it had one of the best original casts. I was able to see it for the first time last summer and they were all fantastic. No one could beat them.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Anthony3 Profile Photo
Anthony3
#10re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/20/06 at 10:15pm

the show really was great! I wish it could stay for a longer run!

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#11re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/20/06 at 11:56pm

I, as most people know, absolutely love DRS. And waht gets me is that when the new cast came, everyone was saying how it needed a big name, and how it didn't get it with Keith. For me who has been obsessed with Broadway most of my life, has never heard of Keith C. till now. But Tom Hewitt, who's doing the tour, now him I've heard of. And have seen . he's good. Why couldn't he have come to Broadway and Keith do tour? I think it might have lasted another month if they did that.

but performing the role after Jonathan Pryce, that must be hard. Cause, as much as I love the OBC and John Lithgow, Jonathan Pryce rose to the challenge and really did a fantastic job. And he so should have won that replacement Tony. In my mind, he certainly did.

Goodbye, DRS. You will be greatly missed.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#12re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/21/06 at 12:01am

As much as I love Tom Hewitt, and as much as I would've loved to see him as Lawrence, I think Keith Carradine is certainly a much bigger name and at least some sort of a draw.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Joshua488
#13re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/21/06 at 12:06am

Definitely deserves a much longer run.

September 3 is the day I move to NYC, so if I move in quick enough and get everything straightened out, perhaps I'll try and see if there are any rush tickets for the final performance. There's no harm in trying.

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#14re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/21/06 at 12:08am

Its run was way too short.
Its cast was way too amazing.

Pinky Profile Photo
Pinky
#15re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/21/06 at 12:13am

I agree, DRS deserves a longer run....

I'll never forget seeing Norbert in the show...especially the left side of his cute fanny!!!!

Penn State Forever!!!!

WiiCKED x3
#17re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/21/06 at 3:36pm

It will never be forgotton.
It was my first Broadway show that I've seen 5 times.
It definatly deserved a longer run.

GOODBYE DRS!!!!!

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#18re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/21/06 at 3:51pm

I find it funny that I had my eye on this show for a long while, never went to see it, went away last week, came back, randomly decided to buy tickets for the first time, and then 5 seconds later checked BWW and found out about the closing. Phew, at least I got my tickets (tomorrow night, woo hoo).

I feel like I'm definitely going to love it and will want to see it again after tomorrow--I already miss it! I'm bummed that after I see it this first time I won't get to play the easy lotto like I had considered doing a number of times before. Oh well, at least I'll see it once.

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

ILUVTOMG Profile Photo
ILUVTOMG
#19re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/21/06 at 6:44pm

it deserved to have a much longer run. it's a good old fashioned MUSICAL COMEDY! and aren't those the most glorious words in the English language? but it will have a long afterlife in stock, regional and community theatres, i'm sure. right now let's keep our fingers crossed that lucie is able to return for the final week.

Broadwayluva Profile Photo
Broadwayluva
#20re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/21/06 at 8:47pm

re: Goodbye, DRS miss you guys and thanks for all the laughs and memories at the show and at the stage door!

bwayondabrain
#21re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/21/06 at 8:52pm

cant wait to hear about it, sdav! i know you'll love it!
and yes, if it hadnt been for DRS, i would have never become such good friends with Mylinda Hull. i remember how many letters ive written to this cast- sooo many!! i feel good though because i drew a picture for Sherie (along with Norbert and John, and they sent me a signed playbill), but anyway, Sherie still hung my drawing up on her dressing room door. re: Goodbye, DRS makes me sad...im gonna miss this

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#22re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/21/06 at 9:34pm

I did a double take when I saw the article that said it was going to close on the front page of BWW. I absolutely loved Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I'm so happy I got to see it.

#23re: Goodbye, DRS
Posted: 8/21/06 at 10:30pm

"I did a double take when I saw the article that said it was going to close on the front page of BWW. "

I had the same reaction when I saw that.
I saw it on Kids Night on Bway, which was an amazing night.
I loved every minute of that show.
So glad I got to see- Norbert, Greg, Sherie and Jonathan. They were amazing.

Videos