Tammy Blanchard

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#0Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/3/06 at 2:40pm

Does anyone know what Tammy's been up to lately? I saw her three imes in Gypsy and was blown away by her talent. She needs to come back to Broadway!

apdarcey
#1re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/3/06 at 2:42pm

the transition she made in that show was fabulous. even the vocal transitions that she committed to from little lamb to the strip tease. truly great she was.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/3/06 at 2:43pm

She filmed a tv-remake of "Sybil" with Jessica Lange a little while back.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

flamingo
#3re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/3/06 at 3:57pm

By the listings on imdb, she has been, and will be, pretty busy with movies. I'd like to see her do more theater work, I also enjoyed her performance in Gypsy.
imdb Tammy

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#4re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/3/06 at 4:06pm

Loved her as Judy Garland, but I thought she was horrendous in GYPSY...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Yero
#5re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/3/06 at 4:11pm

She looked so freakishly similar to Judy in that movie.

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

PJ
#6re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/3/06 at 7:26pm

She was wonderful in Life with Judy Garland - Me and My Shadows. I was happy to see her, along with Judy Davis, win their Emmys for playing that legend.

I'm one of the select few that actually really enjoyed her in Gypsy.

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#7re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/3/06 at 11:32pm

I thought she was amazing as Louise in Gypsy, although she still bore a freakish resemblance to Judy Garland. It's really uncanny

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

JarNerdAV Profile Photo
JarNerdAV
#8re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/3/06 at 11:40pm

I don't think you are one of the select few who really liked her in Gypsy. I loved her as Louise, and so did everybody else I know who saw it. She was so much better than most of the other Louise's I've seen.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#9re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/4/06 at 2:19am

Her performance as Louise/Gypsy was one of the best I've ever seen onstage.

#10re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/4/06 at 10:02am

I also thought she was wonderful in GYPSY.

i*heart*fame
#11re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/4/06 at 12:13pm

Add me to the list of those who adored her in Gypsy.

"Don't thank your parents, if you were raised in a nurturing environment you wouldnt be in show business"--Conan O'Brien at the 2006 Emmy Awards

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#12re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 4:00pm

I wouldn't necessary say she was the best thing ever but definetly wonderful as Gypsy/Louis.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#13re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 4:23pm

I think she's adorable, I love her accent. The interview with her on this page is very cute.

http://www.playbill.com/multimedia/sirius/recent/

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

MargoChanning
#14re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 4:27pm

I thought Blanchard's acting as Louise was solid, but her singing voice was weak and shaky. Overall, I found her a disappointment, especially compared to other Louises I've seen.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#15re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:42pm

I thought she improved greatly and was actually really wonderful as Louise when I saw it late in the run.

munkustrap178
#16re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:45pm

I will agree that she grew into the role beautifully. I saw her early on in the run, and she was very stiff and self conscious. By the last performance, she flowered into something half decent, but she still was too small for me. She didn't fill up the Shubert like she needs to.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#17re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 5:55pm

Do you have something against little people, munk?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 9/16/06 at 05:55 PM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#18re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 6:12pm

I saw it late in the run and found her a great disappointment, having liked her very much in Me and My Shadows.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#19re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 6:20pm

"I thought Blanchard's acting as Louise was solid, but her singing voice was weak and shaky."

Isn't Louise supposed to be the untalented one? I thought her voice fit the role of Louise. Probably an acting choice - wow! Now that's a concept!

This is Harvard, not a stripper bar...

munkustrap178
#20re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 6:25pm

Yes, Louise is supposed to be the LESS talented of the sisters, but the actress playing her needs to pull it off effectively. There's a difference between having an untalented actress playing an untalented girl and a talented actress ACTING like an untalented girl.

MargoChanning
#21re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 6:27pm

It wasn't an acting choice -- she's just not much of a singer. It's not as if she was holding back some spectacular voice for the sake of the role. She gave it everything she had and gave the worst account of "Little Lamb" I've ever heard.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#22re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 6:56pm

Really Margo? I found Blanchard's "Little Lamb" quite pleasant on the cast recording (although I didn't see her live..)

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

munkustrap178
#23re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 6:57pm

Her vocals on the CD are not as they sounded live.

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#24re: Tammy Blanchard
Posted: 9/16/06 at 11:17pm

I thought she was really fantastic. Really intense, a full blooded performance. She was human... and it's easy to lose humanity at the end of that role. Her singing was NOT up to par. But, I don't think she's a singer.... and I don't think it took all that much away from the show/role/performance. When I saw the show, during Little Lamb... the little lamb did NOT want to be a star on that particular evening... and did whatever it could to try to get off stage... Tammy Blanchard did not break character... struggled... and kept her composure without looking like an automaton. It was really fab... and totally professional... my thoughts anyway.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

Videos