Edna Travolta!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#50re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 10:31am

mateo---I don't think you went too far in your original posting at all. You're excited about the film and the filming process, and it's very contagious. I applaud you.

And you made a couple of basic, preliminary comments about the art direction and the photo that seemed more "hesitantly speculative" than anything else.

And then came the harsh, snap-judgements, and "been there, seen it all, because I already know" type comments. Sheesh.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Jiffy Pop
#51re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 10:48am

Wow...he looks like one of my aunts!

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#52re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 11:02am

Such an ugly movie

BSoBW2
#53re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 11:04am

Such an ugly boy
Like a stinky boney rat
I didn't know he'd look like that!

Just like in "Bat Boy," assumptions can be misleading...

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#54re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 11:06am

No bat boy was one ugly kid.

BSoBW2
#55re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 11:11am

But in the end there was a love that surpassed superficial feelings, I'm saying.
Updated On: 9/7/06 at 11:11 AM

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#56re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 11:15am

I get what you're saying but he was still ugly. Just like all these pictures that have leaked. And people will still love this movie in the end.

BSoBW2
#57re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 11:20am

It's a fat man in drag! Not all drag queens can look as hot as, say, Beth Leavel. (Now THAT would be an accomplishment!)

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#58re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 11:20am

and that just KILLS you BwayBaby18, doesn't it. Because you really want this movie to bomb. You've said it in another thread and you make no pretense about it in other postings. I have no idea why you're wishing ill-will on the film, but so be it.

On a related note, not that I'm advocating turning every musical into a movie, or making bad versions of great musicals - but consider this. There are millions of people around the world that would or will never get to see a Broadway musical. So if Hollywood is able to further the genre and increase an audience and/or appreciation for the artform, I, for one, am 100 percent for it.

We (generically speaking) sometimes forget or take for granted the access to theater that so many of us DO have and don't take into consideration everyone else who can and will only get exposed to musicals such as Hairspray via the film.

My .02

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

BSoBW2
#59re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 11:22am

Oh, please, Craig. Who are you KIDDING?

You spent at least $100 in thoughts on the Hairspray movie.

And, if I may so, that's $100 well spent.

Wildcard
#60re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 12:14pm

I have to say that I enjoy reading Mateo's blog. As Marc said, it's very exciting whenever we get an "in" of a movie being made. No matter what the final film will be like, there's always that magic in the production of a movie. I find it amazing based on the street photos on the blog how detailed everything is. Most of these things, we'll never see. At the same time, it is because of the internet generation like us that they do these things. I'm sure if one little soda can is out of place, people will point it out and nitpick about it.

I'm just glad movie musicals are being made. I understand that while they are based on the stage productions, they are completely different beings on their own. Most often, they are reinterpreted by different people which is no different than watching the original Sweeney Todd compared to the revival. Some will hate it, some will love it. I certainly wish "The Producers" movie was reinterpreted by someone other than Ms. Stroman (though I still enjoyed the movie). So keep the posts coming Mateo. I'm very happy for the Dreamgirls and Hairspray movie blogs. I wish there was one about the upcoming Sweeney Todd movie too (without too much groaning about who is cast and details like that) and one that just enjoys the movie being made.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#61re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 12:34pm

They pulled it off in Grease? I beg to differ. While I LOVE Grease, I never for a second thought these were highschool kids.

". . . POP . . ."

WeddedBliss22 Profile Photo
WeddedBliss22
#62re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 12:34pm

Every photo I see make me more excited about what the film might be like, and that Tracy looks PERFECT! I just think Mr. Travolta has on makeup, it's not botox, jeeez!

Tina Maddigan, who plays Sophie in the biggest role of her young career, remembers "bouncing on the sofa as a child at home in Newfoundland, listening to ABBA records." GO TINA!!

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#63re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 12:55pm

A little late there, Hanna?

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia
Updated On: 9/7/06 at 12:55 PM

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#64re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 12:57pm

Wow that picture is scary.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#65re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 1:06pm

Perhaps I should clarify. I love seeing "behind the scenes" photos. I love hearing about the process of making a movie. But not ALL who read that site can differentiate the "candid behind the scenes" pictures from real publicity shots. That is where prejudging a project can be dangerous. My comments on Travolta's look in that photo were based on my understanding that it was John Travolta in a dress and wig behind the set. Not Edna Turnblad looking like John Travolta in a dress and wig.

I am sure the film will be a load of fun. Do I have problems with some of the casting choices? Of course. But I will wait to form opinion when the film, or at the very least some authorized publicity photos are released.

PEACE.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#66re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 1:08pm

StageManager2 -- it's called work.

LOL

". . . POP . . ."

POLisPOL Profile Photo
POLisPOL
#67re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 1:15pm

I have to agree... it's not fair to make judgements from a stolen picture.
And it's very obvious that travolta have no make-up in the picture

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#68re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 1:21pm

Corine2 wrote: Harvey is the Diva that puts the letter D in the name divine

What the hell does that even mean?

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#69re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 1:27pm

And she capitalized diva but not Divine.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#70re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:43pm

JerseyGirl2---LOL!

Travolta put the T in Turnblad, right here in River City, and that rhymes with P, and that stands for Pingleton!

Yeah!!!

People... Never drink and post.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#71re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:48pm

best12bars- hahahaha, i spilled some diet coke just now.

sue- I think and hope people know these images are not publicity stills. Maybe I should clarify more that they are 'pap shots... I just assume people know- especially when you can see crew and 21st century cars in many of the shots.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#72re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:52pm

As someone who was on the set for a little bit of the Good Morning Baltimore stuff, I can say you can't really judge form the stills. Just as you can not possibly judge Nikki Blonsky from that picture, when you see her actually act and move you are blown away by her energy and sheer adorable nature. I am sure John will instill Edna with the same likability.

And beside...Edna isn't SUPPOSED to look good pre-makeover. That's what makes her transformation that much funner.

Akiva

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#73re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 2:55pm

I really have no worries about John Travolta. Right now, the thing that most worries me (well not exactly worries, but disappoints me) is not having Mama I'm a Big Girl Now sung by the characters. I hope the stuff they add to the film will make up for that.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#74re: Edna Travolta!
Posted: 9/7/06 at 3:12pm

Even pre-makeover, Edna should be in more annoying yet festive colors.

And as for Harvey, while I adore him and all his fabulousness, he is not Divine. Divine ate real dog poo for christ's sake! I am sure Harvey would even agree with me on that one.

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!