Scary Poppins

EganFan2
#25re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 2:24pm

This ain't gonna fare well with families.

WickedScoundrel Profile Photo
WickedScoundrel
#26re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 2:31pm

I haven't seen the show, but it terms of music "Temper, Temper" is one of my favorite songs from the London recording! It's dark, as mentioned earlier, but it has a message to tell kids to stop being little brats :P (Like I'm one to talk, I was a brat often enough when I was younger). I don't know why, maybe it's the dark sound and sychopation but it reminds me of "Murder, Murder" from "Jekyll & Hyde".

Meh people should know by now that Disney butters up stories to make the films more happy and cornball. I mean the real ending to the story "The Little Mermaid" surprised me.

Proud fangirl of Greg Jbara.

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#27re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 2:31pm

"This ain't gonna fare well with families."

Personally, I think any child young enough to be scared of this scene to the point of crying is too young to be taken to a Broadway show. I certainly hope that Mary Poppins has the "no children under age 4" rule in place. A babysitter for the evening is cheaper than the price of a ticket for a toddler who will likely either cry or sleep through the whole performance.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#28re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 3:00pm

It better be in tomorrow night!!!!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Mattbrain
#29re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 3:16pm

Keep the song. For the love of God, keep the song. The people who say that Mary Poppins is too scary are the people who'll wind up on the "Hilarious comments" thread.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

ThankstoPhantom
#30re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 3:24pm

Didn't they shorten it, besides this continuing controversy of its content?

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

EganFan2
#31re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 3:41pm

>>"This ain't gonna fare well with families."

Personally, I think any child young enough to be scared of this scene to the point of crying is too young to be taken to a Broadway show. I certainly hope that Mary Poppins has the "no children under age 4" rule in place. A babysitter for the evening is cheaper than the price of a ticket for a toddler who will likely either cry or sleep through the whole performance.<<

Yes, but parents will insist on taking their children because it IS "Mary Poppins". Unless this rule is put in place, which I hope it is.

Ciaron McCarthy
#32re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 3:50pm

OMG it's so not thatr scary. Look at Reidel. He looks like he would be scared by "beaches".

Your kids will be fine.

Trish2
#33re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 6:59pm

Scary? More like Boring. The kids around me were restless and sleeping, as was I.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#34re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 7:03pm

I have to kind of agree here. While I wouldn't label the show as all-out "boring," it was certainly NOT the most cohesive, well-structured musical I've ever seen. It's goregously designed and choreographed, but it left me a little cold.

Which, after desperately wanting Mary Poppins to come to the stage for YEARS, isn't quite the response I was hoping for.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#35re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 7:15pm

Saw the show in London and really liked the number. Most def. not what I was expecting with a stage musical. But I quite enjoyed it

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#36re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 7:20pm

It is not scary at all. What a bunch of pansies.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#37re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 7:29pm

"I mean the real ending to the story "The Little Mermaid" surprised me."

Kind of O.T., What was the real ending to The Little Mermaid?

JustABroadwaybaby2
#38re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 7:40pm

When I read this article, I thought "Awesome! Finally some Disney show that isn't completely watered down!" That sound sso cool, and probably does come as a shock. The only shocking part is that that was the end of the first act. I mean, I perosnally think it's a great idea, but some kids might want to leave after seeing that number. I hope I get to see it!

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#39re: Scary Poppins

What bull****. American kids have really gotta grow up. It isn't remotely frightning. It's not a jolly number, but it is far from scary. It serves a purpose. I hope Mackintosh sticks to his guns.

broadwayguy2
#40re: Scary Poppins

I think the issue here, and this WILL bring in the Little Mermaid reference, is how watered down and weak fairy tales are here. We think, or would ike to think, that kids can't handle things, and that respect, kids nowadays are not 'worldly' qith their tales and more easily upset by these things....

i think it is ridiculous. Fairy Tales ARE cautionary tales and the original versions convey that so much more.. the original versions of mermaid, cinderella, snow white, etc etc are so much more interesting to me and i love the reactions of people who are just finding out the REAL storylines.

One thing, going back to Disney, that bothers me about this is the stage version of Hunchback. I would LOVE to see that staged here, but doubt it will ever be. Why? because it is too 'dark'. UGH. Utter crap reasons.

Stop sheltering your kids and deal with REAL issues in the world please. Maybe if a few toys came to life, kids wouldn't be as bratty.. so what if the number 'Temper Temper' makes them think twice about molesting Barbie or decapitating teddy?

Kids are smarter than you think.. be frank and don't sugar coat. I have put in my time in Children's Theatre, and I am NOT saying That Poppins is, and I can tell you that the fast way to alienate an audience of kids and lose their attention is by pandering and talking down to them.

I want to make a distiction.. CHILDREN'S THEATRE is aimed soley at Children. FAMILY THEATRE should be enjoyable and enteraining to all members of the family and never boring to any of them.. whether 6 or 60 Updated On: 10/18/06 at 07:40 PM

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#41re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 9:43pm

temper temper is supposed to be scary...and it just so happens to be one of the BEST songs and numbers in the entire show!!

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#42re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/18/06 at 11:45pm

You have to remember that Reidel is not a fan of Disney and will do anything to bad mouth a Disney show.
I just can't imagine he called a cast member on the phone and asked how they felt about doing the number (not that he hasn't tried that before).
But if you were in a soon to be Huge Broadway show, would you tell Michael Reidel that you were uncomfortable being in it?
And all of you who are in favor of scaring little children are scaring me.
I assume no one has been traumatised as of yet, it's just a way of stirring the dirt Reidel style.

popculture37
#43re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/19/06 at 12:02am

I haven't seen the show, but I strongly doubt that the number is as scary as the books were. I remember one chapter about what happened to Michael when he played with a magic compass or something...scary stuff! Keep the number in!

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#44re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/19/06 at 12:05am

the "children can't handle it" argument is CRAP.

i mean, look at one of the highest grossing book series of all times:

A Series of Unfortunate Events.

hardly cheerful reading

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Zyla
#45re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/19/06 at 12:17am

"Temper, Temper" sounds like it would have terrified me when I was little. But then again, I was, for lack of a better word, a wimp. Now, I read the description of the number and think, "Wow! I'd like to see that!"

I read Travers' "Mary Poppins" a few years ago, and it certainly has its dark moments. For example, in one chapter - "Bad Tuesday" - Mary uses a magic compass to take the children on a journey to the North, South, East and West. They meet a friendly animal in each location. Later, Michael, banished to his room for bad behavior, finds the compass and tries to use it. The animals from his earlier journey - no longer cute and friendly - appear and close in on him. (Of course, Mary saves him at the last minute.) I don't have the text with me right now, but it was a darkly fascinating moment that really stuck with me.
This was the revised version of "Bad Tuesday" - I can't help but wonder what the original was like.

By the way, Becoz-I-Knew-You, in the original "Little Mermaid"
*SPOILER, just in case*

For one thing, the sea-witch takes Ariel's tongue (literally) instead of her voice.
In the end, Prince Eric dumps Ariel. She dies.
Well, this was by Hans Christian Anderson, the man who brought us such cheerful tales as "The Little Match Girl!"

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#46re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/19/06 at 12:29am

Why does Eric dump her?
Updated On: 10/20/06 at 12:29 AM

RainbowHigh2 Profile Photo
RainbowHigh2
#47re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/19/06 at 12:55am

It's a tragic ending.

Here's the original story:

And info on the original movie - it won't have you crying tears of joy at the end. A very beautiful movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070326/

LIttle Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen Updated On: 10/19/06 at 12:55 AM

neddyfrank2
#48re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/19/06 at 12:58am

Wicked, Chitty, Phantom, Fiddler and many other children shows are MUCH scarier.

neddyfrank2
#50re: Scary Poppins
Posted: 10/19/06 at 1:18am

So would Fruma Sarah's song in Fiddler...

Videos