pixeltracker

The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread

The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#1The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:33pm

While most people have been bashing Daphne's performance in Les Mis, I happened to think that she was very good and will continue to get better. I made this thread to bring together those who thought she was good in the role. Yes, she is not the typical Fantine, but she is a fine actress who is taking on the role with great care. I enjoyed watching her perform the role.

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#1re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:41pm

i think she's a wonderful actress, not the best singer, but she's still wonderful. but, i don't think there's going to be many "positive" posts on this thread...

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#2re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:54pm

i have not seen her....but i love her in general. one question though does she wear a blonde wig?

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#3re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 6:58pm

If I started a thread to support Charlotte d'Amboise as Cassie, it would be full of snide, rude comments...

She certainly acted the part to some degree. But Fantine needs to sing... and she can't... Well, not this role, anyway. She will not have much time to grow in the role as she is leaving for some stretch of time for another show.

She wears a dark wig.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 06:58 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#4re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:00pm

re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread

Is it like Tonya Dixon's?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#5re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 9:38pm

Hooray!

Ok, I haven't seen Les Mis yet but I love Daphne and can't imagine disliking her in this role. Especially since I have never seen the show so have nothing to compare her to.

To those of you who say she can't sing . . . go buy her cd. Maybe you don't like the way she is singing the song, but that doesn't mean she can't sing. Is her voice unique? Absolutely. Are you entitled to dislike her voice? Of course you are. But that doesn't mean that she can't sing.

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

luvliza89 Profile Photo
luvliza89
#6re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 9:44pm

Seriously, I'm confused. She did not sound as nearly as awful as people were making it out to be. In fact I didn't think she sounded awful at all. Sure her voice is different, but to me that does not equal bad. Not in this case.

But, that's just me.
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 09:44 PM

p.s.
#7re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 9:51pm

I have been about as negative as anybody.
Now, however, I'm singing a different tune.

I was at Preview #1 (10/24) and at Sat night 10/28 performance.
I've wondered why, with all the negative discussion about the "Fantine problem", the "creatives" couldn't or wouldn't replace Daphne Rubin-Vega. It just wasn't fair to the theatergoers.
I asked, "Do they hear the people sing?".

Now, however, I am singing a different tune.
At today's performance (Sunday 11/5 3:00 p.m.), Daphne was not just all right; she was terrific.
There was no cringing or moaning in the audience.
The comments were like: She's different than the old or original Fantines, but they lowered the key or something and she sounds great.
I'm not especially musical, but my own feeling is that whereas in the earlier previews Daphne couldn't reach a note -- today her voice was strong, she didn't swallow or miss a single syllable, and she was confident in her performance. She hit everything right on, and deserved the final curtain ovation.
I don't know who contributed to this miracle; probably some of you can explain how this came about.
As a layman, I suspect it's a combination of private coaching, reworking of the orchestration, and her own professionalism and talent.
I'll be back Wednesday night, as well as Thursday.
I hope the professional reviewers don't base their reviews on the early previews; they must watch the show again.

p.s. Seriously, I'm confused too. She really was that awful early on.

Updated On: 11/5/06 at 09:51 PM

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#8re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 9:52pm

I know what you mean. I was shocked when people were saying that she had no voice left and that she couldn't sing. Umm . . . didn't I just see her over the summer? Thought she sounded really good. Hmm. Then I bought her cd. Still sounded good. Last week I was at her cd release party and she sounded phenominal. Really don't know what the problem is there. I imagine that she isn't the Fantine that people were expecting . . . but does that make her Fantine wrong or bad? Where is the rule that says you have to play a part the same way as those before you or that you have to sing a song a certain way? If she was that far off she would not have been cast and certainly would not still be there!

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

p.s.
#9re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 10:19pm

I'm not sure you do know what I mean.

She really was that awful early on.
She did sound terrible.
She was that far off.

Now, her performance is different than early on.
It all works beautifully now.

p.s. Now I look forward to seeing the show again (and again and again and again).

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#10re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 10:58pm

Sorry p.s. we must have been posting at the same time b/c I was refering to luvliza89's post.

I'm glad to hear that you are singing a different tune and think that Daphne is now terrific . . . maybe rumors were true and she was sick for the first preview. Who knows. All I know is that I think she is an amazing actress, singer and person and I can't wait to see the show next week.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#11re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 11:05pm

Ok, I haven't seen Les Mis yet but I love Daphne and can't imagine disliking her in this role.

I don't get your logic. I can think of plenty of performers who I "love," but can imagine a few roles I know I wouldn't like them in.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#12re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/5/06 at 11:20pm

Ok, you are right. Bad phrasing. What I should have said is that I can't imagine her being as bad as so many have said. After all, it isn't like she just walked in and said, "Ok, here I am, I'm going to play this part." Someone had to cast her and direct her. If she were that bad, would she still be there?

I actually know what I meant when I said that . . . but I can't seem to make it come out correctly in black and white. But you are right, that logic does not seem right the way it is. I think the best way to put it is that since I have nothing to compare her to, and since I know I like her as both an actress and singer I really don't see how I could dislike her in this part. Does that make any more sense? Probably not. I'm a little sleep deprived right now. I will have to look at it with fresh eyes in the morning and try again.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#13re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/6/06 at 8:37am

Saw it (20th time seeing Les Mis), didn't like her at all in the role, and feel she's now an unnecessary big distraction. Maybe that's what they wanted?

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#14re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/6/06 at 9:21am

Yes- her wig is much like Tonya's, LizzieCurry re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

rKrispyt Profile Photo
rKrispyt
#15re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/6/06 at 10:32am

Personally, I loved her in the role.

No, she's not the best person who's ever gonna sing this role - not even close. But she just may be the best person to ever act it.

I was moved by her performance, and her interpretation of I Dreamed A Dream is superb. She made me feel for her character in a way that no Fantine has even come close to doing before, save Ruthie Henshall.

I would personally prefer to be moved by a beautifully acted performance than to see an unmoving but beautifully sung Fantine (yes, even in Les Mis, with all its singing).

I realize that it shouldn't always come down to that choice (acting OR singing), but sometimes people come in and do things and you can't pass up the opportunity to cast them, even if some things don't match up as perfectly as you'd first hoped.

It has been said time and time again how some of the greats such as Mary Martin and Ethel Merman would never stand a chance nowadays since we seem to put so much focus on pop belting in musical theatre, and so little on acting. Daphne's performance in this role just made me realize that there are plenty of performances that are finely sung but horribly lacking in their acting and interpretation. So who decided that it was alright to neglect one aspect - that if you're a great singer but not a great actor, that's okay, yet if you do the opposite, what business do you have on broadway?

If I show you the darkness I hold inside, will you bring me to light?

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#16re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:23am

Daphne's performance in this role just made me realize that there are plenty of performances that are finely sung but horribly lacking in their acting and interpretation.

Thank you.

I thought DRV was great. Not wonderful, but certainly not bad like people are saying she was -- a great performance. Daphne voice has always been an acquired taste, I accept that, but the fact that she's a phenomenal actress is significantly less debated. I'm in love with what she's done with the role and, seeing how she approached it, I think it seems incredibly obvious why she was cast. She actually made me care about Fantine, which is saying a lot from someone who isn't much of a Les Mis fan.

If people really prefer pretty singing over amazing acting, then there are a couple of cast recordings they can sit around and listen to.

Khashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
#17re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:32am

Did someone just compare Daphne Rubin-Vega to Ethel Merman?
Turning. In. Grave.

"I will join this conversation on the proviso that we stop bitching about people. Wigs, dresses, bust sizes, penises, nightclubs and bloody Kylie!" - Bernadette, Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical

mentaltenant Profile Photo
mentaltenant
#18re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:44am

p.s: Thanks for that review, I'm glad to hear they made some changes and that Daphne is coming into this role. I'm even more excited to see her now.

And what's funny about this "Appreciation" thread is that people still have to come in and talk crap...there is already a "I hate Daphne, let's get rid of her" thread somewhere. go there.

Khashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
#19re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:46am

As opposed to the "I'm a RENThead, I've never seen Les Miz, but I <3 DRV Thread"...

"I will join this conversation on the proviso that we stop bitching about people. Wigs, dresses, bust sizes, penises, nightclubs and bloody Kylie!" - Bernadette, Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical

keatonbynumbers Profile Photo
keatonbynumbers
#20re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:53am

Khashoggi, your bashing of RENTheads is a very clever method of making your opinion seem superior.

Khashoggi Profile Photo
Khashoggi
#21re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/6/06 at 11:55am

Yawn. Its got nothing to do with making myself feel superior, I just find RENTheads amusing.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#22re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/6/06 at 12:37pm

The only thing Daphne made me feel was - "what is she doing in this role?????". And... Good, she's finally dying.....

I'm sure there are MANY performers out there who can both act AND sing this role.... Acting it isn't enough (and I didn't think her Fantine prortrayal was that good either).

On the other hand, Celia rocked!

Again, just my opinion.
Updated On: 11/6/06 at 12:37 PM

luvliza89 Profile Photo
luvliza89
#23re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/6/06 at 12:43pm

Why come into this thread at all ken? It says Daphne APPRECIATION. You are commenting on the exact opposite of that.

As for the "Acting it isn't enough" comment...I think that's pretty sad that Broadway has come to this. Does this mean no more Carol Channings on the horizen?

#24re: The Official Daphne Rubin-Vega Appreciation Les Mis Thread
Posted: 11/6/06 at 3:54pm

This show is gigantic and relatively speaking, they had a very short rehearsal period. It takes quite awhile to make a song really your own. Give her time.