Nudity in Company?

TenCentsADance1
#1Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:00pm

Hey, i am posting to ask a question. I'm assistant directing a production of Company and the director wants to have full nudity in the scene between Robert and April, has anyone ever seen a production where this has been done? Does it work in the context of the story?

#1re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:13pm

No and No. It's really not appropriate...

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:16pm

There is absolutely no way it can help in the storytelling...it'll just be distracting...unless of course the actor who is playing Bobby is Jewish...then it wouldn't matter. re: Nudity in Company?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Mattbrain
#3re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:20pm

Your director is sick, dude.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#4re: Nudity in Company?

It would be totally gratuitous.

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#5re: Nudity in Company?

um...no. not acceptable in theatre. what does the director even want them to do in the nude!!!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#6re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:21pm

It would be totally uncalled for.

Look at the new revival, there is absolutely no skin in the scene, just some unbuttoned shirts. And it's just as effective. So I feel you don't need any skin for that scene.

Though I can't imagine how thrilling it was to see Dean Jones and Susan Browning in bed together, showing skin, and having Donna McKechnie dance around them! What I would do to see that!
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 07:21 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#7re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:22pm

Your director's a perv.

TomMonster Profile Photo
TomMonster
#8re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:24pm

This show certainly doesn't need it. Shirts off would be OK, but full frontal would be distracting.

Maybe he should do OH, CALCUTTA! instead.

"It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do." SS

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." GMarx

Jon
#9re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:30pm

Actually, there have been dozens, if not hundreds, of productons that have had April topless for a moment in the "Barcelona" scene.

ThankstoPhantom
#10re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:39pm

Why is that sick? As long as it is not done in a showy way (and is professionally and tastefully done), it's okay...the man hasn't even staged it yet.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

TWSFan4Ever
#11re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:44pm

it's perverted! and distracting...

Gingersnap Profile Photo
Gingersnap
#12re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:46pm

In the recent Seattle production, April did get topless, but not until they were in the bed...between the blocking and the lighting, you never saw bare breasts. Bobby stripped down to briefs and socks. His briefs came off after he was under the covers. So, you didn't see anything...except if you were in the first few rows during the blackout between Barcelona and the next scene.

http://www.hugh-panaro.net

BSoBW2
#13re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:51pm

It's a good thing, then, that the show I'm doing now doesn't have nude scenes. Twice.

ThankstoPhantom
#14re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 7:55pm

Perverted? Perverted is slurring sexual jokes and exposing onself (randomly) numerous times throughout the performance because it's supposed to be "funny." I could be a bit more descriptive, but then we'd be in a different ball field.

A potentially artful and meaningful nude staging is not perverted. (I'm saying potential because I haven't seen THIS director's staging, but with a benefit of a doubt, it could be okay for the show)

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 11/5/06 at 07:55 PM

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#15re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 8:03pm

I'm pretty sure there's none written in.
I've seen like 5 different community theatre's productions, and all people kept their clothes on.

neddyfrank2
#16re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 8:05pm

Why would you need to do it?

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#17re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 8:23pm

unless it's in script, don't do it,

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

TWSFan4Ever
#18re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 8:26pm

it's not needed.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#19re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 8:32pm

If he wants full nudity he should go direct "Frankie and Johnny" by Terrance McNally.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#20re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 8:38pm

Phantom, we are saying this is perverted because full nudity is not needed.

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#21re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 8:59pm

there was a group, that did company where april was topless for few seconds, and after the 1st weekend, she kept her bra on, the reason, most of the comments were "great show, but why the nudity"

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#22re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 9:00pm

The script actually does call for Robert and April to undress and get into bed together (although it does indicate that April does the last of her undressing under the sheets.) So it is not necessarily gratuitous.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

husk_charmer
#23re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 9:01pm

I don't really see a need for it, especially considering 9/10 of the time, if the nudity is NOT built it, it is all I remember.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

moulinrougehk Profile Photo
moulinrougehk
#24re: Nudity in Company?
Posted: 11/5/06 at 9:25pm

Hmm... weird decision, and absolutely nothing to do with the storytelling...

Somebody sit in my chair, and ruin my sleep, and make me aware of being alive!