deciding on a show, i need help

laura is broadway Profile Photo
laura is broadway
#1deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/8/06 at 6:06pm

soo i'm in a theatre company at one of my local theatres.
this spring i am suppose to direct the spring musical.
originally, we were doing tick tick boom, but the board decided that they wanted it to be a bigger(being that tick tick boom is a three man show) more well known show.

we usually stick to very sophisticated plays, and only do one musical a year in the spring, so its a kind of big deal. it has to be very mature/sophisticated.

what we've narrowed our choices down to is:
cabaret
sweeney todd
chicago

w/ sweeney we will follow along the lines of the style of the revival- we wont have the actors play instruments, but it would be "darker" like the revival, and take place in an asylum.
also cabaret & chicago would follow the guidlines of the recent revivals.

our actors in the company consist of
10 women ages 15, 17, 24, 32, 28, 18, 18, 41, 54, 37.
10 men ages 14, 19, 18, 19, 21, 21, 40, 58, 24, 30
4 girls 8, 9, 5, 13
2 boys 7, 12

we dont have to use every actor, and we definitly will not.

personally i'm leaning towards sweeney.
but i dont know!
what do you guys think?

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#1re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/8/06 at 6:08pm

SWEENEY! :)

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

jess20882 Profile Photo
jess20882
#2re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/8/06 at 6:50pm

I definitely think you should consider Cabaret. You would be able to better utilize more of your actors, and it is a much more multi-faceted show than Sweeney...in my opinion of course.
Good luck with whichever one you decide to do!

AlmostFamous2 Profile Photo
AlmostFamous2
#3re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/8/06 at 6:56pm

I like Sweeney...

But then I really love Chicago...

I can't help you.

I am so indecisive.

laura is broadway
#4re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/8/06 at 6:57pm

if we do decide on sweeney do you think casting either the 12 or 14 year old boy as tobias would be a good idea? or should i cast an adult
and
male or female pirelli?

#5re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/9/06 at 12:06am

I love Chicago but it's difficult to get the rights to it.

With the cast you described I'd say Sweeney :)

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#6re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/9/06 at 12:07am

I think you should cast whatever works best for your company. I would do your production, not a production that some random BWW posters want to see.

"Directors are people who make choices."

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

neddyfrank2
#7re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/9/06 at 12:12am

I would say Sweeney.

And I would cast a 12 year old as Tobias without hesitating (if they are good enough that is)

NathanLaneStalker
#8re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/9/06 at 12:14am

Sweeney.

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

Sondheim Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim Geek
#9re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/9/06 at 12:19am

I completely agree with bjivie2... if you were a good director, you'd know your company, and know which show would work best with their abilities and ages, and go with that show. You shouldn’t decide on what some person on a message board hundreds of miles away tells you to put on.

SondheimGeek: Is it slightly pathetic that you guys get to be Jedi bitches, and I'm Bitchy the Hutt?
LizzieCurry: No, you're more memorable

moulinrougehk Profile Photo
moulinrougehk
#10re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/9/06 at 12:22am

Sweeney is much more easier to handle as there's nearly no dancing element.

Somebody sit in my chair, and ruin my sleep, and make me aware of being alive!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#11re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/9/06 at 12:24am

Judging on what you descrbed for your company, I would say Sweeney Todd. Chicagao is difficult to get the rights to and you need really talented dancers to pull it off. Cabaret is not a bad choice, but I think you can use more people in Sweeney (that is if you are having an ensemble, not a ten person cast). Also, you may not be able to use little girls in Sweeney, but you can use someone who is 12-14 for Tobias. You can't use any kids in Cabaret.

Good luck with the show!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#12re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/9/06 at 11:43am

Well, personally based on your company, I wouldn't do any of those shows. Also, how well do your people dance is a factor. I would say "cool" to casting a young Tobias, as long as they are very musically inclined, since any Sondheim is not easy to sing. If you want a woman Pirelli, they better be a low alto, because the revival had a female, but the key was raised I think a Major 3rd?

I also think there is NOTHING wrong with asking people's opinions about what show to do. I would recommend A Little Night Music...:O) I know that wasn't a choice, but I couldn't resist.

AugustBurns2 Profile Photo
AugustBurns2
#13re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/9/06 at 12:51pm

I would pick Cabaret.

You can even use some of the kids - if they don't mind being on stage for 5 seconds - showing Hitler youth rising.

myspace.com/robinsparkles

laura is broadway
#14re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/10/06 at 5:01pm

I also think there is NOTHING wrong with asking people's opinions

thankyou!
yeah i just wanted you guys's opinions... obviously, i'm not lettung you decide for me.
i just wanted another view.

but ultimatly i have decided on sweeney. i had the company try a potential dance routine for chicago, and it was just too weak.

auditions are going on now, i think i'm gonna cast the 14 year old as tobias, b/c he has such an amazing voice, and does a fantastic potrayal of tobias.
and a male pirelli.

thankyou guys for your ideas! =]

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#15re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/10/06 at 6:56pm

i know it is EXTREMELY hard to get the right to CHICAGO.

i would do SWEENEY, but don't be a copy-cat.

but, if one of those women is a fantastic belter and could play the hell out of Sally Bowles, do CABARET.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#16re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/10/06 at 6:57pm

OKAY. didn't see your recent post.

GOOD! i LOVE the idea of a young Tobias. I am hoping that I will be able to find out about auditions for the film, maybe I could be the next TOBY.

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#17re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/10/06 at 7:01pm

Caberet.

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#18re: deciding on a show, i need help
Posted: 11/10/06 at 7:24pm

Sweeney!

Videos