pixeltracker

Sunday in the park @ studio 54- Page 5

Sunday in the park @ studio 54

Color and Light
#100re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 7:50pm

Mickey C?

My.

I would love to see Daniel Evans in the role, since I enjoyed his work on the cast recording so very much, but the chances of that happening seem slim, since they'll probably want Equity actors.

Stop looking at my charisma.

aspiringactress Profile Photo
aspiringactress
#101re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 7:58pm

Consider Grey Gardens. The second act is in the syle of a documentary, and Mary Louise Wilson and Christine Ebersole have been cast. Although race is not completely essential to the show, it IS in the style of a popular documentary and so it is fitting that the actors resemble the actual people.

NOTHING about Sunday is in the style of a documentary. Race just does not matter at all to the story, regardless of Seurat's existence, and actual appearance.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#102re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 8:05pm

I wonder how well they knew George since a different appearance can't be accepted!

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#103re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 8:15pm

Well, I didn't mean for this to go so off-topic, though I do think this is an interesting board.

I am one who thinks that the play is not about George. If it was about George the second act would be completely different. As long as George has a lot of facial hair I think you it would not be that obvious till the second act that it was a colored actor, IMO.

Anyway now I really want Norm Lewis to play George and maybe Lea Salonga can join him as Dot.
Updated On: 11/9/06 at 08:15 PM

Color and Light
#104re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 8:16pm

Actually, I was his ~*~B.F.F.~*~ in grade school, and I'm quite sure this thread would positively enrage him.

Stop looking at my charisma.

moulinrougehk Profile Photo
moulinrougehk
#105re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 8:22pm

Well, I'm so sorry that I've enraged so many people in this board. Just personal opinions, no offence. Obviously this show is not about George, as Sondheim said it's his story actually, how to create art and explore oneself at the same time. You just need to give me time to familiar a black George though.

Somebody sit in my chair, and ruin my sleep, and make me aware of being alive!

FoscasBohemianDream
#106re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 8:23pm

I agree with Margo and aspiringactress, Sunday in the Park with George *IS NOT* a documentary about Seurat's life. Grey Gardens of course could not be cast with African-American or Asian women for example because it is based on a documentary and there are even some racial dynamics involved in Act I. Sunday in the Park with George is inspired by a painting and a technique, the inspiration drawn by the artist is more based on his philosophy and style than in his actual life.
At the end of Act I, we see the painting coming together. In the actual painting the women who supposedly are Dot (according to the musical) all are white. Now Audra McDonald played the role, of course it is historically inaccurate to have her play Dot because there are no African-Americans in Seurat's painting. However, is this relevant at all? No.
As Margo explained, few people really know much about Seurat's life, let alone what he looked like. To me saying that he shouldn't be played by a man of another ethnicity that is not white is preposterous, in a way you're implying that a non-white artist does not have the capabilities of creating the brilliant piece that George Seurat created.
On another lighter topic, the playbill.com article explains that Evans and Russell have been brought up in discussions of the transfer so it is a possibility that they play the roles here. I'd personally like to see Jason Danieley or Neil Patrick Harris play the role opposite Jane Krakowski, Ruthie Henshall (who is probably too old for this particular production), or Frances Ruffelle.
Updated On: 11/9/06 at 08:23 PM

aspiringactress
#107re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 8:24pm

Now that's a much better attitude. Wait until it happens and judge based on the performance you see.

"We don't value the lily less for not being made of flint and built to last. Life's bounty is in it's flow, later is too late. Where is the song when it's been sung, the dance when it's been danced? It's only we humans who want to own the future too." - Tom Stoppard, Shipwreck

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#108re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 8:33pm

Yes Frances Ruffelle would be amazing!

moulinrougehk
#109re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 8:35pm

Oh...My...God! Neil Patrick Harris vs Ruthie Henshall? This is SOMETHING! I don't care, just do more make up to hide her wrinkles!

Updated On: 11/9/06 at 08:35 PM

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#110re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 8:39pm

I really think that Neil Patrick Harris would be amazing, and I think that Manoel Felciano would be good too.

And I like the idea of Jane Krakowski.

Updated On: 11/9/06 at 08:39 PM

aspiringactress
#111re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 9:15pm

Eh. I'm a huge Mano fan, but I don't see it quite yet. I think in a few years maybe, but something about his presence doesn't scream George to me.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#112re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 9:34pm

I don't think it's time for Mano or Harris in this role yet. They are WAY too youthful.

But man Ruthie Henshall is beyond perfect for this role. But that would be a major diss to Russell, casting another a London star in the Broadway transfer.

I'm imagining if Kelli O'hara is a smash in this role on the Westcoast, she will be considered for the Broadway transfer.

FoscasBohemianDream
#113re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 9:43pm

From everything I've heard about the London revival, Henshall is too old to play Dot in this particular production. Though--apart from Krakowski--I don't see anyone more apt for the role.
I wonder if Kelli O'Hara's participation in the Reprise! production is actually some kind of audition for the transfer, it definitely would not surprise me.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#114re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 9:45pm

Why does everyone think Henshall is so old? She is only 39. And Krakowski is only one year younger, at 38.

Peters was around the same age when she originated the role.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#115re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 9:47pm

How much of an issue is a youthful look, though, really? Wasn't Seurat only in his early thirties when he died?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

FoscasBohemianDream
#116re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 10:00pm

LJay, I do not think Henshall is old at all. I just said that from what I've heard/read about the production (I have not seen it so my comment needs to be taken with a grain of salt), Dot must provide a youthful look, and I personally do not see Ruthie Henshall as young-looking as Krakowski or Frances Ruffelle or Jenna Russell even.
For any other production of this show, I believe Henshall would be more than appropriate. However, I still have the notion that O'Hara will more likely be cast after the Reprise! production.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#116re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 10:06pm

Fosca, You definitely make some great points. I will agree it seems this revival needs a youthful looking Dot.

I wish Evans could transfer over for George. I highly doubt Mano would get this. The last thing I need is his groupies screaming during "Move On," and "Finishing The Hat" - you know it would happen. I have too much of an emotional connection to the show to have it ruined by preteen Mano groupies. And I don't mean this about the normal Mano fans here like Emcee, etc. I know he has some very young groupies, and they freak me out.

moulinrougehk
#117re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 10:21pm

Anyway, don't change a bit, then it's fine!

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#118re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 10:24pm

Age-wise, both Neil Patrick Harris and Manoel Felciano (I believe) are both older than the 28(I believe) year old George is supposed to be in the show. Though originally played by a older Mandy Patinkin, George is a fairly young guy so it isn't out of the question that either of these men are inappropriate. I can see how someone might feel NPH too youthfull (he does have that man-boy way about him) but I think Mr. Felciano is entirely appropriately aged and mannered. I haven't seen him in anything but Sweeney so I don't know his acting range, but I'd hazard a guess that he'd make a wonderful George. In fact, when I saw Sweeney that was one of my first thoughts.

Ruthie seems just a *tad* ripe for me for Dot, but heck, if she'd do it, I'd be oh so very thrilled. She could act and sing the hell out of it, and it's not too far a stretch. I know Bernadette was no spring chicken when she played Dot either, but like NPH, she has that eternal youth feeling about her.

I don't know why exactly, but Kelli O'Hara feels to fragile for me as Dot. To be fair, I have never seen her live but there is something very delicate and lady-like about her that doesn't quite feel like Dot. Then again, she could be an amazing actress and completely pull it off:)

I would love to see Donna Lynne Champlin play Dot. I think she would have an interesting take on her.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine
Updated On: 11/9/06 at 10:24 PM

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#119re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 10:25pm

Were there girls screaming during "Pirelli's Miracle Elixir" or "Not While I'm Around" that I'm just not aware of?

aspiringactress
#120re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 11:08pm

I guess re: Mano or Harris in the role, the only George I've seen is Patinkin. BUt potentially, (more) youth could add a different dimension to George's obsession and love. If only for purely selfing purposes, I would LOVE to have a recording of Mano singing the score. But again, from what I've seen of this production, it doesn't feel like a good fit.

Updated On: 11/9/06 at 11:08 PM

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#121re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/9/06 at 11:33pm

I thought Kelli O'Hara was fragile after seeing her in Piazza, but her steely, powerful performance in Pajama Game really blew that out of the water.
I think that she has the a very "Dotlike" mix of brass and volunerability.

I think Neil Patrick Harris is an intriguing choice, but I would like to see a wide variety of people considered.
The "historical Seurat" died in March of 1891 at age 31. Although I think I have been quite clear about my feelings on the importance of that. re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.
Updated On: 11/9/06 at 11:33 PM

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#122re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/10/06 at 12:16am

Mano would be fantastic as George, and he truly understand the show and the part. I for one am greatly looking forward to the day when he gets to take on the role, be it in this upcoming revival, or any other future production.

And any claims that he is too youthful to play the role is ludicrous. He is as old as Seurrat was when he died. Keep in mind that while he played a young boy in Sweeney Todd, Mano is in his 30's, and has a lot of range as an actor.

moulinrougehk
#123re: Sunday in the park @ studio 54
Posted: 11/10/06 at 12:21am

"Early 30s" according to Broadway.com.