pixeltracker

"The Producers" tour review: 11/14/06

"The Producers" tour review: 11/14/06

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#1"The Producers" tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/16/06 at 12:05am

Just got back from "The Prodcuers" tour here in Philadelphia. Now this is not one of my all time favorite shows. There was so much hype and when I saw it it was so/so. There are many highs, and many lows in this touring production. I will first start off with the lows...many of which the cast cannot control.

- The Merriam stage seemed very small for this show. There are many sets andit just seemed at times that it could not hold it all.

- The stage at times also was very high school/ college level. At times you would see Bialystock's office in the wings. Not just a little but but a good protion of the wall. The sets also seemed very slow getting off stage. At times I would pray that it would be gone for the next scene. Also, after the audition scene one of the tables was left on stage and in came the theater and it was still there.

- The sets, although look like the originals, are cheap knock-offs. They have fake painted curtians etc. I know it is a tour, but you could do better for a show of this standard. There also was no white offic..one of my favorite parts.

- The ensemble had some issues at times, where props would not work, or hats would fall off (Springtime) and Bial's mic fell off a few times.

The Good....

Austin Owen (Leo Bloom)- He was truly wonderful. The man can sing, act, and dance He is a cutie and really reminded me of Matthew Broderick...but not in a copying way.

Jason Simon (Max Bialystock)- Overall a very strong Max. He added some things to the part, but at others was just a copy of Nathan. Overall though, very well cast for the role.

ELIZABETH PAWLOWSKI (Ulla)- WOW! The girl was phenomenal. She had a powerhouse voice, and was so great. She was also so gorgeous.

OHN WEST (Carmen Ghia)- He was great. At times, a tad annoying but overall gave a solid performance.

BRAD NACHT (Roger DeBris)- He was wonderful. Gave a great performance and reminded me a lot of Gary Beach, but made the role his own. Was truly very very well in this role.

JESSE COLEMAN (Franz Liebkind)- Hysterical. Two ladies near me wered ying with the birds. veyr good job and was wonderful.

The Ensemble overall was extremly strong and gave an outsanding performance. It seemed cut down from NYC, but I may be wrong. They were very good and had magnificant voices...(even though it seemed at times that they had a back tarck).

The show overall was very well done, and I really enjoyed the night at the theater.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

theaterdude87
#1re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/16/06 at 12:28am

bump...its cool though.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

neddyfrank2
#2re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/16/06 at 1:00am

Was it an equity tour?
Updated On: 11/16/06 at 01:00 AM

theaterdude87
#3re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/16/06 at 11:57am

I am actually not sure.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#4re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/16/06 at 12:41pm

Thank you for this review of one of my all-time favorite shows re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06 I am SOOOO glad to hear it is in good shape re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06 It will be here in January.

As far as I have heard/know, I *think* this IS an equity tour... That's why the sets are so similar, but scaled down. Usually, sometimes non-equity tours "redesign" things, such as the current AIDA tour (which I will see this Saturday! YAY! *lol*)

But... the current RENT tour that I just saw on the 7th is non-equity and was spot-on the same as Bway and known Equity tours.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#5re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/16/06 at 12:48pm

I don't know if you saw the same tour, but there is currently a non-Equity tour out now.

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#6re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/16/06 at 1:41pm

We may be doing The Producers next summer at Ogunquit Playhouse (not sure if it's going to be the tour cast or what). Anyways, thanks for the review.

The Producers is one of my favorite musicals as well as films.

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

Bialyhoos22
#7re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/16/06 at 2:44pm

This is the Non-Equity tour that is being produced by Networks Productions. They're using bits and pieces from the 2nd national tour set I believe (the first national tour set is being installed in Vegas). The Shubert Alley set for instance contains the middle portion of the Shubert Theatre but contains a painted drop of its two side portions (that usually would slide in). The white office set was cut just before they set out in September (a loss, but probably just as well). The Springtime for Hitler set has been modified a little bit as well (though the bunkers are still there). I was wondering though Theatredude, does Roger still rise up into the gunshot in Springtime or does he walk on?

The tour has been doing very well thus far and is booked for the next 2 years all over North America (even though the website only lists dates until June)
Updated On: 11/16/06 at 02:44 PM

theaterdude87
#8re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/16/06 at 4:41pm

He just kind of walks out...I mean it still works just not as grand an entrance. For some reason the stairs seemed a problem in that scene. As all 5 gilrs were looking down at them as they made their entrance.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#9re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/16/06 at 5:25pm

I saw it as well. I chalked a lot of the issues with the office still being visible during certain numbers simply because it was their opening night in the city - I'm sure future shows this week will run much more smoothly.

It's a non-equity tour, so the sets are toned down, and there sadly is no white office or fountain, and some of the "Springtime for Hitler" pieces look a bit chintzy.

Overall, a strong cast, with the standout being Elizabeth Pawlowski as Ulla - she rocks.

I was not as impressed with Jesse Coleman as Franz - I just felt he screamed the whole show. Jason Simon almost tried to directly emulate Lane, but lost a great deal many jokes. He won me over with one original joke in "Betrayed", however.

Overall, not bad, and when the tech problems are ironed out, I'm sure it'll be splendid.

theaterdude87
#10re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/16/06 at 5:40pm

the white office is my favorite piece...but then Ulla was dusting and not painting and I leaned over to the person who was with me and I said I guess no whute office.

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#11re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/16/06 at 6:35pm

Glad you liked the show! I saw it a month ago, and I thought for non-equity, it was done pretty well.

snowie862 Profile Photo
snowie862
#12re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/17/06 at 2:12am

I went to see it tonight. Elizabeth Powlowski is great! I can't wait to see her in more shows.

This is a Non-Eq by NETworks. I always thought that NETworks stood for Non Equity Tour Works. hm...

Anyway... The Congratulations banner was missing during the "No way out" scene. I miss the white office too.

Other than that, I enjoyed it very much.

Jyn326
#13re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 11/17/06 at 11:31am

I helped build this show in Kentucky and saw a bunch of the white pieces. Not being familiar with the show, I asked what that was all about and they said it was a part of the show they were cutting because of truck space. I was curious to find out what fans of the show would think, I didn't know how important the scene was.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#14re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 12/6/06 at 2:50am

I haven't seen the show before but it's coming to Vancouver in February. For someone who wasn't originally a fan of the show, will I enjoy it? Specifically, I'll be buying tickets for my parents, who look for outstanding talent, but also have an "Oooh, shiny!" mentality, where spectacle, choreography and aesthetically-pleasing sets are the biggest selling points. Yay or nay?

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

actor
#15re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 12/6/06 at 8:51pm

What is the difference between an equity and a non-equity tour?

FindingNamo
#16re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 12/6/06 at 10:40pm

You should start a separate thread to ask that so your question doesn't get overlooked here.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

actor
#17re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 12/7/06 at 9:52pm

Good idea! But alas - it has been overlooked.

neddyfrank2
#18re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 12/7/06 at 9:56pm

An equity tour has equity actors, a non-equity tour has non-equity actors.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#19re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 12/7/06 at 11:37pm

What was the origianl joke in betrayed.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#20re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 12/8/06 at 5:46pm

for some reason it was cancelled in washington dc -=- anyone know why?

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

soda
#21re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 12/9/06 at 10:17pm

I remember seeing Austin Owen about four or five years ago perform at a community theatre in Texas, and I must say that it is quite exciting to know that he's worked his way up to this. I'm glad you enjoyed the show theaterdude87.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#22re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 12/10/06 at 11:24am

I love this show!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

firescape Profile Photo
firescape
fossemoves
#24re: 'The Producers' tour review: 11/14/06
Posted: 1/22/07 at 2:29pm

Having directed Jason Simon in a musical, I can tell you he's tailor made to play MAX. Sure, he's not Nathan Lane, nor does he try to be. He embodies the spirit of Max well. He's a cross of Lane, Mostel, and a hint of pomp and circumstance - he's fantastic! I can't wait to see this tour.

Videos