john and jen

ashley0139
#1john and jen
Posted: 11/20/06 at 7:39pm

I've been debating getting this cd for a while, and I think I am finally going to get it. Amazon says that there is an off-Broadway recording and a Broadway recording. What is the difference? They each have the same people. Which would be a better first one to get?

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

alicia_11212 Profile Photo
alicia_11212
#1re: john and jen
Posted: 11/20/06 at 8:07pm

It was only ever recorded one time, with the same cast (Carolee and James Ludwig) so... someone else around here will probably know why there's two listings w/ slightly different covers. Maybe they released it twice for some reason? They're still both from Jan. '96.

Anyway, LOVE this recording. It's so worth it, I couldn't believe how long I'd lived without it before I first saw/ heard it (only slightly joking re: john and jen

This is definitely in my top five favourite shows EVER. So far, that I've seen... You won't be disappointed.

"We all get blue, I say, Hang on tight, I'll be your bodyguard." -Tick, tick..BOOM!

BJC899
#2re: john and jen
Posted: 11/20/06 at 8:14pm

oh boy. when i first read the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be about Strickland and gambatese. heh.

rocky2428 Profile Photo
rocky2428
#3re: john and jen
Posted: 11/20/06 at 8:20pm

If I remember correctly, it was released initially in the early 90's and then rereleased in the last few years. I know the booklets are different between the two (long story as to why I have/had both versions). No difference in performances or track listing.

Anyway, I recommend getting the disc. It's got some really nice music in it and is well-worth checking out.

erinrebecca
#4re: john and jen
Posted: 11/20/06 at 9:04pm

Why would it be about Strickland and Gambatese? Strickland is Josh, not John.

John and Jen is a cute show but I have to admit that it's one of those shows where I enjoy the music while watching the show but not as much when I just listen to the cast recording.

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#5re: john and jen
Posted: 11/20/06 at 11:12pm

It's a wonderful listen! And a great show!

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#6re: john and jen
Posted: 11/21/06 at 12:46pm

The show is exceptionally emotional. I was lucky enough to play the role, as was Catstagestud, and it was truly an unbelievable experience. The music is gorgeous, and one of Lippa's best scores.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

WhoCouldBeBlue Profile Photo
WhoCouldBeBlue
#7re: john and jen
Posted: 11/21/06 at 12:51pm

John and Jen is a FANTASTIC show. It's emotional, funny and sad. I cannot recommend it enough! It's certainly one of my favorite recordings of all time. Carolee sounds absolutely perfect in this recording.

Give it a listen... I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#8re: john and jen
Posted: 11/21/06 at 1:03pm

There was never a broadway recording, as it was never on broadway.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

AugustBurns2 Profile Photo
AugustBurns2
#9re: john and jen
Posted: 11/21/06 at 1:04pm

Get the CD!!!!

It's a wonderful, funny, sincere, tuneful score! And the performances are amazing!

I was lucky to see a local theater production of it in Dallas and it's a great show to see live. The audience around me were really affected by the show.

myspace.com/robinsparkles

ashley0139
#10re: john and jen
Posted: 11/21/06 at 3:26pm

There was never a broadway recording, as it was never on broadway.

Interesting, as Amazon lists one recording as Broadway and another as off-Broadway.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

catstagestud Profile Photo
catstagestud
#11re: john and jen
Posted: 11/21/06 at 3:28pm

Get this as quickly as you can Ashley! I got to play John a year and a half ago and it's one of the most emotionally satisfying shows to do. I'd do it again anytime, anywhere. Enjoy it! Carolee Carmello and James Ludwig are both exceptional!

Cheers,

Christopher

www.christopherviolett.com

JustABroadwaybaby2
#12re: john and jen
Posted: 11/21/06 at 6:45pm

Same, Bjc! i was like, oh god, there was a Tarzan off-broadway?
But, now I see. Buy both, if you have the money.

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

Videos