pixeltracker

Why No "White Christmas" On Broadway ?

Why No "White Christmas" On Broadway ?

Myron
#1Why No "White Christmas" On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 9:29am

I'm surpeised that the new production of "Irving Berlin's White Christmas" has never come to Broadway. I am a fan of the film and was anxious to see the updated stage version.

shesamarshmallow
#1re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 11:01am

That really baffles me. It's by far the best Christmas-themed musical I've seen and so inventively staged.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

jasobres
#2re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 11:03am

I think it's because most of the theaters are full and MSG is already showing Annie and Radio City, of course, already has their annual Christmas Spectacular.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth
Updated On: 11/27/06 at 11:03 AM

philcrosby
#3re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 2:07pm

I believe they were also trying a new business model. Rather than creating another New York Holiday attraction within the glut that exists, they were bringing a limited-engagement sit-down to several cities across the country ... literally staging three or more identical productions at once. Are the same cities repeating this year?

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#4re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 3:18pm

It's a very expensive show to stage on Broadway- big cast and an orchestra of 24 musicians -please correct me if I'm wrong, but the highest # of musicians in any show lately has been 19?

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#5re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 3:48pm

No, not the same cities this year...SF, Boston and LA are out, and St Paul, MN and Detroit, MI are in this year. Then there are the regional, smaller productions of the material.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#6re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 3:50pm

It's a seasonal show, expensive to run, and the theaters that it would do good in are full.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#7re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 4:29pm

We'll just have to wait, I bet it will venture to Broadway eventually, it's a classic!

Fosse76
#8re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 5:03pm

Is this really a show tourists would flock to in the middle of July? It's way too seasonal to succeed on Broadway.

bwayondabrain
#9re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 5:07pm

i wish it came to Broadway instead of THE GRINCH as a limited engagement

but why am I complaining? a production is coming to my community theatre anyways this year!

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#10re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 5:15pm

Yes, I would see it in July, and it's good enough of a production to be seen "off season".

philcrosby
#11re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 5:35pm

It will also be done in every community and some regional theaters throughout the country on an annual basis just based on its name and tunestack, so the "need" for a Broadway production to spur business is minimal.

As much as I enjoyed the recently-released cast album, the best things about it were the sound production and orchestrations. The cast (save for the amazing Karen Morrow!) were rather personality-free.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#12re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 7:22pm

Screen musicals to Broadway do not fare well

Gigi
Singing In The Rain
Meet Me In St Louis

Poster Emeritus

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#13re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 7:26pm

phil,

did you see it on stage?

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#14re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 7:27pm

No one does anything Christmasy in New York.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#15re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 9:43pm

"Screen musicals to Broadway do not fare well"

Really?

What about 42nd Street, The Wizard of Oz, all the Disney shows and The Producers?

RentBoy86
#16re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 10:53pm

Because Broadway is too commerical and the Jewish people would complain that they weren't represented by a musical, or something.

DoReMi Profile Photo
DoReMi
#17re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 10:54pm

They can make twice as much money by playing everywhere else besides Broadway

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#18re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/27/06 at 10:57pm

It appears MGM musicals did not transfer well

Poster Emeritus

philcrosby
#19re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/28/06 at 9:43am

JustMe2,

I did not get the chance to see the production onstage, where I am sure the actors shine more than they do on the recording. That said, to hear all those great orchestrations and that old-time Broadway-style band ... well, it's just wonderful.

Fosse76
#20re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/28/06 at 12:10pm

"'Screen musicals to Broadway do not fare well'

Really?

What about 42nd Street, The Wizard of Oz, all the Disney shows and The Producers? "

Not having seen the film 42nd Street, I can't comment on it. The Wizard of Oz does OK in schools and commubnity theaters, but as a full-fledged Broadway musical would not fare well at all. Disney, which has produced nothing but crap, is successful because it's Disney. But none of its stage adaptions capture the so-called "magic" of their film counterparts. The Producers was NOT a musical before it was produced on Broadway, and its success lies on Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick. As history has shown, the show isn't strong enough on its own (its touring productions barely lasted three years, and never had sold-out engagements).

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#21re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/28/06 at 1:12pm

I hope you get to see it phil, as the production numbers on the cast recording are great, but nothing compared to the tap dancing on stage! It's a great cd all right!

roquat
#22re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/28/06 at 2:15pm

The management of Radio City Music Hall will not allow "White Christmas" to be done in New York because it would take too much business from them.

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#23re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/28/06 at 2:18pm

Fosse:

I beg to differ with you about the Producers. As it is NOT my fav show in the least...I will say this. I live in Los Anegels and it played at the Pantages Theater for WELL over a year, and the entire run was sold out. The sit down production was a major success.

But yes, it also has to do with the casting. Martin Short and Jason Alexander were the reason everyone went to see it.

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

EganFan2
#24re: Why No 'White Christmas' On Broadway ?
Posted: 11/28/06 at 2:40pm

This replaced the "Radio City Spectacular" in my town. I'm glad I no longer have to see the commercial every two seconds with the monkey child in her mother's arms, pointing at the Rockettes.

Videos