La Jolla's "The Wiz"

sondhead
#1La Jolla's "The Wiz"
Posted: 12/18/06 at 10:55am

I am really worrying this won't make it to Broadway which is a shame because it was wonderful. More than anything, it need NEEDS to be given to Samuel French for licensing. It would enjoy such a richer life. A cast recording would be nice.

I am longing to see/hear any part of it again. Does anyone know of any audio or video clips of it anywhere on the internet?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#2re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 11:59am

Yeah.. somehow I don't think the transfer is happening.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Burning_Oasis
#2re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 12:01pm

I have a friend on the Student Board and he said it was going to have another tryout in another city. If it does well there, they will transfer it. Zhivago is also planning to transfer.

MollySim
#3re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 12:11pm

I have a friend who worked on it, who says it is transfering but there is still a question of when... plus they facility that will work with the technological aspects of this production.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#4re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 12:19pm

And I have a friend who has a friend that knows a friend that knows you all are liars and don't have any friends. re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'

Seriously.. I didn't enjoy the show that much and they don't have the $$$$$$ they thought they would.

Updated On: 12/18/06 at 12:19 PM

broadwayguy2
#5re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 2:24pm

well part of this issue is waiting for an appropriate theatre to open up with enough notice to mave the show in. The imperial is open, at the last minute. Last I heard, plans are in place..... but sadly we have to wait to see it.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 2:30pm

The Imperial is booked solid for the next God knows how many years.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#7re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 2:52pm

And waiting for a theater to open up is not what is keeping the show from transferring at all.

sondhead
#8re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 6:00pm

I'm thinking Circle in the Square is the only theatre that would work. 25th going anywhere?

And lay off. If you hated it that much, you must not like the show that much. What they did to it was nothing short of brilliant.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#9re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 6:04pm

Updated On: 12/18/06 at 06:04 PM

purpleprince101
#10re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'

what about the broahdurst after les miz ends its run {or will it extend{

purpleprince101
#11re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'

purpleprince101
#12re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'

sondhead
#13re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 6:19pm

Dear god FOUR times?

And the point is not just a space but a space that would work with La Jolla's brilliantly immersive production. A traditional proscenium space is pretty much just not going to cut it.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#14re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 6:21pm

Sondhead;
Who said anything about hating it? And I love this musical.. but this current production needed a lot of work. And the critical response it received was mixed at best.

Updated On: 12/18/06 at 06:21 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#15re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 7:18pm

The Wiz would be a great show to reopen the Mark Hellinger with if any theater gods are listening

Poster Emeritus

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#16re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 8:37pm

Roxy. That would be wonderful. I miss that theater. So many memories. And just so gorgeous. It was what a beautiful broadway house should be without having to try.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#17re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 8:57pm

The real shame is that the 50th anniversary of My Fair Lady came and went this year. It would have been the perfect time for the Hellinger to return to legit use, with My Fair Lady ensconced in its original home.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#18re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 8:58pm

How much longer till this church lets us have this theater back?

purpleprince101
#19re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 9:00pm

hope soon

p.s- sorry about 4 posts my computer is messed up

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#20re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 9:03pm

The church bought it outright from the Nederlander Organization in the early '90s. So until they outgrow it, chances are slim that it will return to legit use.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#21re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 9:54pm

The production team behind La Jolla's production of The Wiz are still very much interested in bringing it to New York. They are just waiting for a suitable theater to open up.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

LI Larry Profile Photo
LI Larry
#22re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/18/06 at 11:19pm

I don't know when it's coming but I know our school had tried to get the rights to do a school production and they froze them in the middle of our purchasing. They are definitely trying to bring it to Broadway. I don't know if they want the Imperial since they would have to move for "Billy Elliot" and it's a very expensive production to move.

husk_charmer
#23re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/19/06 at 1:21am

I thought it was planning to take Circle in the Square and "Spelling Bee" which is now proscenium capable was going to take the St. James when "Producers" closed (Which seems unlikely now)...or did I just come up with that somewhere?

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Thespinoy Profile Photo
Thespinoy
#24re: La Jolla's 'The Wiz'
Posted: 12/19/06 at 2:40am

"And the point is not just a space but a space that would work with La Jolla's brilliantly immersive production. A traditional proscenium space is pretty much just not going to cut it."

Actually, the immersive set was designed for a traditional proscenium space. La Jolla's Mandell Weiss Theatre has a traditional proscenium. The additional seating is on the stage (patrons had to make their way backstage to get to their seats) and the "yellow brick road" extended out over either side of the proscenium into the house. I was also told that the set was originally designed for the Hirschfeld when they were going to do a direct B'way mounting of the show 5 years ago.

Last word was that there is most certainly going to be another tryout planned for the show in another city before New York. When that will happen is up in the air. But the Dodgers are not done with "The Wiz" by any means.

Mmm, Mmm, I feel sorry for the poor folk that got to pay to see this play. - The Maid from "Bullets Over Broadway."

Videos