pixeltracker

What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?- Page 2

What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Smartful Dodger
#25re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/3/07 at 11:50pm

There's nothing wrong with groups of fans being "obsessed" with certain shows. In all media, there are those single-viewing experiences that some individuals more often than not take or leave. Then, think of a movie that's touched or inspired you. It made such an unbelievable impression that you needed only to see it once for it to become part of you, to satisfy your curiosity. Sometimes, once is enough -- you give it a chance and it either is or isn't your cup of tea.

Then, think about those movies, books, and television shows that some people watch over and over and over and over -- the ones for which they can recite every single line, describe every actor's twitches, or create a frame-by-frame, shot-by-shot storyboards. Fans do these things because they love what they see and want to engage with the piece in ways that the more casual consumer doesn't or won't.

The beautfiful thing about the media available to us today, across multiple channels, technologies, and times, is that both ends of the spectrum can be nourished and satisfied. This discussion board is a case in point -- for those of us who really like professional theatre, especially stuff presented in New York, online conversation enables us to extend the conversation beyond our own experiences and engage with others who are more invested than other friends who have a passing or more casual interest in theatre.

WICKED and RENT, with their long runs in New York and extended tours, can support a very large fan base with lots of diverse conversations about actors, singing styles, timing, etc. There is very little to distingush the girl who giggles simply at the thought of one of Elphaba's punch lines ("Not all of us can come and go in a bubble") or the kid who leaps to the top of heap in the playground and rallies his mates like Luke Skywalker ("May the Force be with you").

Fans are good. Fans are what help to morph and create myths. If Jonathan Larson and his collaborators hadn't appreciated Puccini, then RENT might not have happened. If Gregory Maguire hadn't been a fan of THE WIZARD OF OZ, then WICKED might not have happened.
Updated On: 1/3/07 at 11:50 PM

snl89
#26re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/3/07 at 11:57pm

I'm obsessed with Wicked and RENT, but I also love a bunch of other shows :) a big part of my obsessions with these show imparticular is because I have obsessions with the people IN them (namely idina, but I adore the entire RENT cast, both obc and movie cast) so that kind of fuels it. But also, I think there is something to be said for the fact that they're just the most easily accessable.. if you know what I mean *g*. If there were good quality..youknowwhats... of every show, I would probably be obsessed with lots more shows re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!? its just because I dont really have access to seeing a lot of shows live, so for a lot of them thats all I have to judge by. But it really is a big part because of the casts. Because what happened was I saw RENT on broadway before the movie came out, loved it, got really into the movie blog and everything, and that got me interested in idina. From there, I discovered idina in wicked. Without idina, I'd never have been interested in it at all. So it just kind of happened that way. You get obsessed with one person and you follow the shows they do, and you get obsessed with those shows by nature of knowing more about them than other shows :)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#27re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:02am

I'll admit it. I am 16, I am straight, and I love Wicked.

Now, am I some uneducated theatre newbie who squeels when I hear anything about Idina Menzel? No, that's not the case at all. But, put me near Chenoweth and I'll be jumping up and down like a schoolgirl.

BUT, let me continue with this point that I am trying to make. Why do people like you have to insult those people who only like Wicked and Rent? Are they somehow beneath you? Does it make you feel big to insult them?

It's people like this that I cannot stand. People that like to bash other people because they like to think that they know more. Knowledge shouldn't be used as a form of boasting, it should be used to educate. If you know someone who is obsessed with Wicked or RENT, then why don't you kindly introduce them to other shows instead of jumping down their throats?

I hate the self titled 'theatre elitists' who have nothing better to do than make stupid jokes against Wicked or against Idina, or whatever. It's rude, and it's just plain ignorant. Why can't you just be happy with their success? Why don't you just let people do what they want instead of making stupid posts like this where you have to act like you are somehow better than them?

RENT has a great message of hope and tolerance. Wicked shows that there is good in everyone, and to that little kid who is watching the show it can mean so much. It could give them a little dose of magic and captivate them. It can make them fall in love with theatre. Why should you want to discourage that? That's cruel.

There is nothing better about you than anyone else just because you know more shows than other people, or because you don't like Wicked or RENT. You may have all that knowledge, but if you are just going to be stupid than you might as well not have it at all.

brdlwyr
#28re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:05am

Tweens love Wicked and Rent and thus their fathers spend money which keeps Broadway alive!

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#29re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:28am

Amen, brdlwyr.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

Craww
#30re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 5:49am

Are you asking the why to Wicked and Rent, or are you asking why to the level that teenagers become obsessed? There's a certain built in contempt for both teenagers and the shows just in asking the question, so the answer should be self evident.

Wicked is a huge show, it appeals to every age demographic. The teenagers are just the most vocal because they are teenagers, and because the characters reflect friendship and youth. It's a little different with Rent. There's a built in young adult demographic in the material, and in the community aspect of the show.

It doesn't matter that there are better shows. I'm not a teenager, but parts of my personality are still very young. I can recognize when something is better than Rent, but that doesn't mean I'm going to love it more.

Teenage obsession and pop culture in general is a psychological question, that you're not going to really get an easy answer to here.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#31re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 9:33am

>> Wicked shows that there is good in everyone

Okay, I'll bite. Did you actually see the show? Do you really think that's the "message"?

Truly, we must have been watching different shows in different theatres.

http://docandraider.com

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#32re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:05am

I'm curious as to what you see as the message of Wicked to characterize it as "demonic" and "disturbed," SeanMartin?

GreenGirl22406 Profile Photo
GreenGirl22406
#33re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:16am

Okay. I'm a 14 year old girl who loves both Wicked and Rent, but that's because they're great pieces of musical theater that people can relate to. I'm pretty sick of being steryotyped because I say I like Wicked or I like Rent, because I love what a lot of people consider "real" musical theater too. When I was three years old and my little brother was born, the first thing I thought was that he'd have the same birthday as Oscar Hammerstein. Not a normal thought for a three-year-old. Yes, I hate people who say that they're big theater fans and they only know Wicked or Rent (especially the so-called "rentheads" who only know the movie) but I think people really have to put up with those people and not automatically assume that all teenagers who like wicked and rent are ignorant when it comes to "real" musical theater.

Okay. Done ranting.

"In the rain, the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me forever and forever."

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#34re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 4:55pm

>> I'm curious as to what you see as the message of Wicked to characterize it as "demonic" and "disturbed," SeanMartin?

The fate of the goat professor. The death of the sister. Galinda's inability to publicly acknowledge her friend's inate character and integrity. Need I go on? This *isnt* a "nice" show, when you really look at the material. It's vicious and vindictive and only has moments you could describe as heartwarming. But it has this candy-coated gloss that makes everything go down so much easier, so much so that you dont even notice the truly hateful message it's conveying.

http://docandraider.com

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#35re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 5:11pm

D2's depraved on account of he's deprived!

I've always contended that Wicked has an almost magical appeal to teenage drama queens who identify uncannily with its protagonist. Elphaba looks funny, acts funny, and is tragically misunderstood despite being the most talented girl in her school -- at least she knows she is, even if everyone else in Shiz prefers the pretty, perky Galinda.

Gee, if that doesn't describe every self-absorbed Broadway wannabe I've ever met, I don't know what does.

Mattbrain
#36re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 5:13pm

I love Wicked and Rent but I've been able to move on to other shows.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

MamawhoBoreme Profile Photo
MamawhoBoreme
#37re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 7:15pm

I love RENT and Wicked.. more so RENT... i just think teens relate a little more to them than to like Les Miz or something. Pretty much all last year all i did see was RENT and Wicked but this year i have started to open my horizon. I am seeing Drowsy this weekend and i saw Spring Awakening last weekend. and i really wish i could see more but tickets are really expensive. But RENT was definatly my gateway to other shows. Im 21 by the way so i am not all teenager hehe.

Kristeliz Profile Photo
Kristeliz
#38re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:08pm

Teens? Ha ha- I'm 28 and "old and married" and my husband's ears would tell you just how OBSESSED I am with both. I love and respect other shows, but RENT and Wicked are my vices. I work long hours in a stressful job in NYC-- I can afford tickets now to any show I want when I want, when I'm not working, of course. We don't have kids yet, so now's the time to be a little selfish and obsess.

My point and I do have one--I think there are a lot of 20 and 30-somethings in the same boat--especially those who live in Manhattan. My "career" more than pays for my "habits" and I see enough shows to have a really balanced life. I'm not onstage, but I feel that I am doing my job as a devoted fan. Work sent me to London on in October and I was able to see Wicked four times, center orchestra. It was honestly like winning an all expenses paid trip to have your "Wicked" dreams true. All I have to say is: Best. Business. Trip. Ever. Oh and you know I thought on the plane ride.. la la just like Idina, going to work in London...so yeah, I guess I'm proud to be a Wicked/Rent "fangirl" and probably always will be.

Smartful Dodger Profile Photo
Smartful Dodger
#39re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:14pm

Amen, Kristeliz!

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#40re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:42pm

Everyone knows I'm a few years older, straight and hate Wicked and Rent BUT, I thank both of those shows for bringing so many varied and interesting people to this site. This last year or two has been a blast because I feel like I've finally found a community where I belong. So go ahead and love Wicked and Rent (and yes, I've seen them both several times) and for those of you new here, we'll try to tempt you with some other shows that you may have, or may not have heard of. I Love "The Crooked Mile" and "Do-Re-Mi" and "On Your Toes" and "Pal Joey" And especially "The Drowsy Chaperone."

I may not love your shows, but I love you all.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699
Updated On: 1/4/07 at 11:42 PM

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#41re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:25am

I may not love your shows, but I love you all.

That's...beautiful.

I haven't read every word in this thread, but the title always makes me chuckle when I scroll past it...maybe not so much the Wicked part, but after almost 11 years of Rent being *the* musical of MTV-bred whippersnappers (and for obvious reasons), it strikes me as funny that someone would ask a question like this ("What's the deal with these teens and their Rent obsession? Is it the rack of coats? Those bright red, anti-establishment folding chairs?").

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#42re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:39am

Beats me as I thought both were overrated

Poster Emeritus

Craww
#43re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/5/07 at 2:06am

"What's the deal with these teens and their Rent obsession? Is it the rack of coats? Those bright red, anti-establishment folding chairs?"

It's the paper lantern, actually. Vulnerable illumination. Speaks to the round and thin skinned.

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#44re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/5/07 at 2:27am

I think medical studies have proven there is a chemical reaction in the brain of children age 11- 15 when they hear Kristin or Idina shreak.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

Ty
#45re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/5/07 at 4:01am

Musicals have always had there obsessed fans that can be rather annoying to older fans not so much into the shows the 'obsessed' fans are into.

The big BIG difference is the internet didn't exist in the days of "Annie", "Once upon a Mattress" & "Cats".

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#46re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/5/07 at 11:27am

I'm 14 years old. About two years ago I was a bona-fide Wicked-and-Rent-head. These were basically the only two shows I listened to, talked about, read about, re-enacted in my bedroom when I couldn't sleep.

Nowadays? I can watch the Rent movie and admit that yes, it does carry a lovely message (albeit it beats you over the head like a Law & Order criminal.) Wicked, on the other hand, is one of the shows that I can now step back and see the flaws in - and there are many to be found.

There are two qualities that I absolutely cannot stand in the obsessed Wicked fanbase. One is that so many of these fans who really have very little exposure to theatre otherwise, will rush to call a show like Wicked "great theatre" because it "tells an amazing message of acceptance/forgiveness/good and evil/cherry pickers." It's not great theatre. Never has been, never will be. It may go down in history as one of the most overblown shows to hit Broadway in the new millenium, but great theatre? No.

The other quality that I find abhorrent in these fans is that they rush to call anyone who picks Sondheim over Schwartz a "thyeatre snob" and an "elitist." Personally, I'm not. Most of my favorite shows are Sondheim, true, and I like to familiarize myself with the older shows - but how does that make one an elitist?

SporkGoddess
#47re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/5/07 at 2:25pm

If it helps, I first heard Wicked when I was 16 (going on 17!) and disliked it. And I mean, I wasn't really a musical theatre elitist back in those days, not yet anyway, seeing as how I discovered all of the shows I now love during senior year of high school. And then I lent the OBC to my friend, who fell in love with it... Go figure.

Back in freshman or sophomore year of high school, I was into RENT very hardcore for about a year or two, then I just burnt out on it.

I think RENT appeals to teenagers because it embodies youthful and liberal ideals: living life for art, rebelling against authority, carpe diem, etc. I think as you grow older you might start to think about the characters: "Why don't they just suck it up and get jobs?" and such.

As for Wicked, it appeals to teenagers because it's about a girl who doesn't quite fit in and is hated for it. Plus it has ridiculously shallow messages that are overall feel good and make people feel like they've learned things. And... well, the music is pretty poppish.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Broadway4Life2
#48re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/5/07 at 3:15pm

I've seen the RENT tour twice and loved it. And I have yet to see Wicked (hopefully I'll see it in LA over the summer). And I love the music in both shows. But the more and more I listen to them I get bored. Why be so narrow-minded about something as broad as music?

And I know both stories are engaging and interesting but they're not the only ones.

I'll admit I first got into RENT when I saw the movie. After I saw it live I had a lot more respect for the show.

Wicked appealed to me because it's a show that features characters we all know and I was interested in their back stories. But after reading the book before seeing the show, I realized how dark the story really is and wished they would've included more elements from the book.

But I've learned to expand my love of theatre to other shows. I'm hoping to one day see all of the Disney shows. But that's just because I'm a Disney freak more than anything! And I'd love to see Sweeney Todd eventually. And I'm excited about seeing Jersey Boys next month in SF.

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#49re: What's with all of the teens obsessed Wicked and RENT!?
Posted: 1/5/07 at 7:04pm

About a year or two ago all you would've seen on my iPod was Social Distortion and Green Day. I feel that Rent bridged the gap between musicals and rock, I became very obsessed with it and it was a fine introduction into musical theatre. I have a lot of respect for the show, but as I've discovered that there's more to Musical Theatre I seen the errors in the show and it is hardly a favourite of mine. What attracted me to it was the combination of Rock and this visual story which I've always grasped for. (The music that I listen to other than showtunes and the like is by very expressive artists that paint a picture with their music.)

Now, that's why I loved RENT. As for Wicked... I've never understood it really, there are similar shows to it that are more honest and better executed.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley