DRS LAYOFF?

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#1DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/3/07 at 8:14am

I am just a little confused about the DRS tour, my understanding of the tour was, a few stops were cancled to downscale the tour. Then it would start back up again, but on the National Tour section of BWW.com its posted as the rest of the Nat. Tour has been layed off?

I have tickets for the Boston stop, so I would like to know whats going on.

Thanks!

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#2re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/3/07 at 8:45am

I am also curious about this. I was also thinking of seeing DRS in Boston in March(?)

crzyrocket Profile Photo
crzyrocket
#2re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/3/07 at 10:12am

I don't know if this counts as anything, but before I left Boston for the holidays, I walked past the Opera House and they already had the marquee up for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

"The sense that everything's going right is a sure sense that everything's going wrong." -The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?

BroadwayBoy2
#3re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/3/07 at 3:58pm

I saw that marquee as well. Which puzzles me more.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#4re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/3/07 at 4:03pm

I though they already downscaled the tour and that they are still continuing the tour.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#5re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/3/07 at 4:04pm

I just called the Opera House in Boston and DRS is still scheduled to play there in March.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Broadwayluva Profile Photo
Broadwayluva
#6re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/3/07 at 4:18pm

yeah, i have tickets for March in Boston. why would they want to downscale the tour?

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#7re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/3/07 at 4:21pm

SEARCH!!!!!!!!! (I don't have WannaBeAFoster's patience otherwiese I'd post all the links for you. There are many threads! SEARCH!!!!!!)

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

BroadwayBoy2
#8re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 8:04am

"I just called the Opera House in Boston and DRS is still scheduled to play there in March."

Og good, thx for calling!

NathanLaneStalker
#9re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 8:43am

Now when you say downsize, what exactly do you mean?

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#10re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 11:26am

The show originally wnet out on the Equity Production contract at full slary and per diem (1456 a week plus around 7-800 in per diem). I think it wasn't doing as big at the box office as they wanted so they went to the cas and to equity and asked that they change the contract to the Equity experimental production touring contract which basically cuts the salary in half. Equity created this new contract to make it more economical for producers to tour shows while keeping them Equity. The one caveat is that the show has to play different markets than they would when they were on the regular production contract. Usually when a tour on the Experimental contract plays a major Market, the salay for that week goes back to regular production. I know that there was some casting done for the tour a few weeks ago for replacements. I assume that some of the people decided to leave after the announcement that the show was being downscaled.
I assume that they also downscaled other things to trim operating costs. I bet they trimmed the set a little to cut one or two of the 18 wheelers.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

NathanLaneStalker
#11re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 11:43am

Ah, well that sucks. Thanks for explaining it to me!

"I'm tellin' you, the only times I really feel the presence of God are when I'm having sex and during a great Broadway musical." - Nathan Lane - Jeffrey

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#12re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 1:53pm

Neverandy, any word on who decided to leave? (I assume Tom Hewitt will be amongst the casualties.)

When I saw the show in Miami, I asked Laura Marie Duncan how the downsizing would influence any possible cast changes. She said that the company were all waiting on hearing exactly how much of a pay cut they would have to take, and once an official number was given, they had the option of leaving if they wanted. She hadn't made up her mind yet about what she was doing, but she said several others had already said they were leaving no matter what.

I hope the majority of this cast somehow stays. They were a very talented group, and the chemistry they all had deffinetly enhanced the quality of the show.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#13re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 2:29pm

They were looking specifically for a Freddy and a Lawrence IIRC.

AnothaPartofMe
#14re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 3:02pm

The tour has been semi-recast and is now in rehearsals with the new cast at Ripley-Grier... Jack O'Brien was there on Friday. Anyone who is auditioning or whatnot at RG this week will probably run into them, they're there for the rest of this week.

And if she'll say, "My darling, I'm yours!" I'll throw away my striped tie and my best pressed tweed, all I really need is the girl...

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#15re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 3:30pm

I've said it before, but the set can't be too scaled down if it's going to fill the stage of the Opera House; the stage is pretty big. Also, why is the DRS marquee allready up? CATS is playing there next (unfortunately)

craftymarley Profile Photo
craftymarley
#16re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/10/07 at 3:38pm

Just so we're all clear though, weeks in which a tour doesn't have performances are called "layoff" weeks, regardless of downsizing. This is true of all tours. If a successful tour has a week off, the actors and crew are usually flown back to their base cities, and the week is termed a layoff. For instance, this week the All Shook Up tour has a layoff, but next week they have performances. It's not always possible to book every single week of the year.

So while the fact that DRS is restructuring and recasting is certainly cause to cancel cities, the real answer to the original question is that the show has a layoff, not that the cast and crew have been layed off.

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#17re: DRS LAYOFF?
Posted: 1/11/07 at 2:04am

You are exactly right Crafty