pixeltracker

Les Miserables Revival revisited.

Les Miserables Revival revisited.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#1Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:30am

So, I went back tonight because five of my friends were rushing and I decided to get Standing Room so I could see Daphne Rubin- Vega again before she left as Fantine. Some quick thoughts:

Overall it was very good, not as good as the first time I went but there were some performances that were stronger this time around and some that were weaker. In my first review I said I was not impressed with Aaron Lazar, well can I please take that back? Drew Sarich (understudy) was horrible. I loved him as Grantaire, but his voice was way too thin. I guess I was so used to Michael Maguire's endless voice on the recordings, but I just wanted to hear Lazar's golden baritone again and his physical demeanor was excellent. Celia's voice was a bit weaker this time, but overall I still think she is amazing. And Gary Beach was much better after a second viewing, he does something different that really makes the show come to life, I thought he was brilliant tonight.

Now about Daphne. I really loved her the first time and thought she made the role truly believable and heartbreaking, I did not mind the earthy tones of her voice at all. Well, I think she got stronger over the past weeks. Her voice was much clearer tonight and she even hit some high notes in the second act. In my personal opinion her interpretation of Fantine is reason enough for why this show was revived so soon. She is also extremely friendly at the stage door. I recommend seeing her before she leaves.

Updated On: 1/4/07 at 03:30 AM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#2re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/4/07 at 7:56am

I was surprised to hear that Drew Sarich was understudying Enjorlas. He's just so...not that character.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/4/07 at 9:01am

Aaron has been out for some time now. I hope he gets well soon.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Zeitoujo
#3re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/4/07 at 9:04am

jewishboy:

where did they get their rush seats? orch? mezz?!

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

broadwaybound882
#4re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/4/07 at 9:34am

That's surprising, to be completetly frank. i've heard nothing but praise for Drew in les mis. Actually, a classmate of mine saw Les Mis recently saw the show and loved drew and she didn't even know him before then.

neilberl
#5re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/4/07 at 10:46am

I saw Drew as well, thought he was great. He spits WAYYYY too much , but he was definitely not weak.

DRV, on the other hand, was .... well, the best word is distracting. Her voice is just ... weird. And it distracts from everyone else. I was fine with her for as long as she was on stage, but if Fantine was alive the whole show, I would not have liked her at all. I guess it's good that she dies in the first hour.

Also saw the understudy for Jean Valjean - Victor Hawkes I think was the name. We were not happy when we opened the playbill, but his performance was excellent - we wound up not disappointed at all. His bio in the playbill is pretty funny also.

Norm Lewis was also good.... However, I have a question about his suicide scene... I seem to remember him "falling" from the bridge while the bridge was in the air. The day we saw it, the bridge was on the ground and he "fell" right onto the turntable. Looked like there was some sort of rope coming down to tie him up with, but it was late. Did we just happen to see a flub?

But the best part? Eponine... Celia was EXCELLENT. Updated On: 1/4/07 at 10:46 AM

Johnnytoc
#6re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/4/07 at 11:05am

I'm just not understanding why Celia is getting such praise. I found her singing to be dull and her acting to be lifeless. I was really stunned after I saw her because of all the people who love her. I suppose maybe it could've been an off day.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#7re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/4/07 at 12:03pm

My friends' rush seats were scattered along the orchestra. Most of them were the last seats in various rows on house right or house left.
I thought Drew was excellent as Grantaire, but he was just awful as Enjorlas. Two completely different roles.

I really think that Celia captures the essence of Eponine and her On My Own is so beautiful, but you cant tell that she is heartbroken during that number.

froggy2
#8re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:04pm

Wow, I loved Drew Sarich as Enjolras. I think I prefer him to Aaron Lazar, although I did like him too.

eta: I had rush seats in Row H of the mezz. Even though they were all the way to the side, they were still great seats. Much better than the side orch seats. Updated On: 1/4/07 at 01:04 PM

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#9re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/4/07 at 1:09pm

yeah while i wasn't impressed like I wanted to be with Celia I liked how it was a much tougher Eponine than I had seen before. I also had drew at my performance and I wasn't crazy about him but didn't dislike him by any means...he was just sort of there.
jewishboy glad to hear you enjoyed Daphne's performance and yeah she's aweesome offstage as well. So down to earth and fun!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

HumorousConclusion Profile Photo
HumorousConclusion
#10re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/4/07 at 3:38pm

"Aaron has been out for some time now. I hope he gets well soon."

Aaron was at yesterday's matinee, and I think he said he was in Tuesday's show.

joanna2
#11re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/8/07 at 7:31pm

Haha! Drew's voice is anything but 'thin!'

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#12re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/8/07 at 8:16pm

Neilberi - I posted a thread a week ago saying that I also thought the suicide was staged differently in the original. My revollection was like yours - and I prefer the "old" way.

MerMaggieGalinda
#13re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/8/07 at 9:22pm

I haven't really heard much about Adam Jacobs and Ali Ewoldt. How are they as Marius and Cosette?

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#14re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/8/07 at 9:30pm

MerMaggieGalinda: "I haven't really heard much about Adam Jacobs and Ali Ewoldt. How are they as Marius and Cosette?"

Adam Jacobs and Ali Ewoldt are the best Marius and Cosette I've seen to date...that is in addition to Aaron Lazar, my new best Enjolras. And, I've seen it many times, Broadway, US tour, London, and TAC (live).

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley
Updated On: 1/8/07 at 09:30 PM

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#15re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/8/07 at 9:35pm

I agree, very impressive. Both voices are above average and they both have great chemistry with each other and the other cast members. I think Ali Eldwolt is very good when playing against Valjean during In My Life; she does not give the impression of a whiny brat, which is very easy.

SDav 10495 Profile Photo
SDav 10495
#16re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/8/07 at 9:41pm

Neilberi - I posted a thread a week ago saying that I also thought the suicide was staged differently in the original. My revollection was like yours - and I prefer the "old" way.

Er...wasn't the verdict in your thread that the staging was never changed? The suicide has always been with the bridge right on the stage. There's no way they'd have their Javert jumping from the bridge every night were it elevated from the stage. I believe it was mentioned in your thread, however, that the lighting of that scene (and the show overall) has gotten brighter over the years and takes some of the mystery out of the effect.

"If there is going to be a restoration fee, there should also be a Renaissance fee, a Middle Ages fee and a Dark Ages fee. Someone must have men in the back room making up names, euphemisms for profit." (Emanuel Azenberg)

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#17re: Les Miserables Revival revisited.
Posted: 1/8/07 at 11:11pm

I saw both of them on tour, and Ali was adorable, lively, and refreshing. Adam brayed and his Marius was not too swift...but he was kinda endearing.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Videos