pixeltracker

Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum- Page 2

Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#25re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:55am

Anyone know if after Danny and Sandy are chosen if they are going to show the rehearsal process, behind the scenes footage, all that stuff? Maybe have a 2 hour special a week or so after opening night? That is what I want to see!

gman07 Profile Photo
gman07
#26re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:02am

I'm not a big fan of Grease but I have always loved Rizzo. That character is so cool and her songs are amazing. I hope whom ever gets that part has the vocal pipes it deserves.

bwayfan4life
#27re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 11:17am

I know that the new production is combining the best of the film and the original, I hope they follow the lead of the revival. The main reason that the revival did well, it actually took the original to another level, even the less known songs were huge and the show was non-stop and very entertaining.

It's gonna be a happy new year.......RENT
Updated On: 1/5/07 at 11:17 AM

ComaBaby01 Profile Photo
ComaBaby01
#28re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 11:41am

this is such a horrible endeavor. the world has such amazing musicals practically begging to be revived, and they choose this one. again. for like the 4th or 5th time...

the stage version of Grease, any production (with the exception maybe of the 1994 revival) is Rizzo's show. in the original, there is little or no Sandy at all. I just got through playing the role. Sandy has no solos except the barely 1 minute long Look At Me reprise, where, if the musical director chooses, Sandy could belt a C. or a B. i forgot. Raining on Prom Night is a duet with Cha Cha (sometimes directors change who its with because its an "offstage voice." don't get confused, its a duet). Sandy doesn't do much of anything in Act I. Act II's a litle more involved i guess. And then the end of course. And that's basically it. Oh, and don't forget the character, or extreme lack thereof. Next to no singing, and whats there is super easy, and no acting involved if you are naturally meek and reserved. and can play a poseur slut.

What i'm trying to say is, its all Hollywood. its the "allure" of the Danny-Sandy relationship in society. But if they really wanted to cast the leads, it would've had to be Danny and Rizzo. Sandy is pleasantly forgotten in this show. But since they're adding in movie songs (going down the list of how to ruin this show), I guess that equals more stagetime (Hopelessly Devoted... such a bad song. practically written for Olivia Newton-John. no one else has hope to sing it properly.)

"Love all; Trust a few; Do wrong to none." --William Shakespeare

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#29re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 11:51am

Do we even know what theater it's booked yet? I would assume it's going into a Nederlander house, but none are free?

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#30re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 11:56am

"When America chooses"

I still predict this show will get even lower ratings than THE STARLET.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#31re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 11:59am

The Brooks Atkinson.

And I have to say, I am somewhat amused by the comments that a reality show (and adding songs and moments from the movie) is going to "damage" the great important piece of musical theatre that GREASE is.

GREASE has always been a popular hit. Never has it been a hit with critics - not the original Broadway production, not the movie and of course not this revival. But people like the show. And probably having the movie songs will make them like it more.

There really are worse things they could do...

giddyup
#32re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:08pm

I just wonder how many people will shell out those prices for, No. 1., unknowns, 2, perhaps unexperienced actors. After all, if America is choosing, look at Idol. They got rid of J. Hud before some other really bad contestants, like that red-haired kid. And, what if they take a Tyler of a Kat McPhee, who would have a great B-way voice/ability, just because of the popularity thing. Or, are these contestants already B-way performers, have agents and cards?

K2503 Profile Photo
K2503
#33re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:20pm

You will be suprised how many will buy high priced tickets. The Sound of Music Show in London ran for ages - and over those many many weeks you find these "unknows" become very well known indeed with a ready made fan-base. SofM sold bucket loads of tickets in the run up to the end of the show.

In answer to another point - in the UK we only had an hour long follow up showing what went on after she (Connie Fisher) won and opening night - it could IMO have been more.

We have the Grease TV Show now in the UK starting this year - so what goes around comes around

bwayfan4life
#34re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:27pm

It will be very interesting, but I think the show will appeal to those that are looking for a broadway star vs. a pop star. The American Idol judges have taken flack for people being voted out early such as Jennifer Hudson and others, but it wasn't the judges that voted them off. If anything the judges should get the credit for recognizing thier talent and potential and putting them into that part of the competition. If they do it right the judges for this show will only allow those that can acutally make on broadway to get that far, they are putting thier money where their proverbial mouth is.

It's gonna be a happy new year.......RENT

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#35re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:34pm

In my opinion,Danny and Sandy are probably the worst male and female lead in musical theater. It's weird they don't have a theater booked yet.

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#36re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:37pm

The Brooks Atkinson.

thanks...but isn't Moon for the Misbgotten an open run?

"Some of us have it worse, you know, Dana. Some of us are dating lesbian men. Okay? C'mon."

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#37re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:39pm

I don't know why (almost) everyone here is getting "bent out of shape" because of a GREASE revival.

This reality show business is somethin else though...I think it's totally unnecessary.

I'd rather see another revival of GREASE than another horrible movie-to-stage musical adaptation, jukebox musical or ill-conceived Disney show [well, maybe only Tarzan fits into that category IMO.]

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#38re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:39pm

No its limited. As it should be. The only production of MFM that could ever have an open ended run is the one starring Brittany Spears.

Madame X Profile Photo
Madame X
#39re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:41pm

LOL, that's what I thought, but links I pulled up listed it as open ended. Gracias.

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#40re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 12:46pm

I really doubt that anyone will watch this show

Yankeefan007
#41re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 1:51pm

It'll be a good show. Compelling for the theater geeks, to say the very least.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#42re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 3:59pm

no ts a limited run madame x

ThankstoPhantom
#43re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 4:50pm

Watching previews of this at the movie theater last week, a girl on the program spoke to the camera while waiting outside for ther turn to audition for the judges...

"...I mean, how many times do you get to audition for Broadway?!"

I sat in my seat with anger...that may be her individual experience, but in today's common spoken-English language, her statement was speaking collectiviely....hundreds audition for it almost every day...thousands per week, thousands per month. It's a career for people who work their asses off from high school and beyond. I'm not even going to write in detail what actors do everyday to get their next job, I think BWWers know by now.

This girl's statement disturbed me, and it subtely summed up why I detest this program so much. I am sure some of the contestents (that's another issue of mine) are theatre-folk...but I am sure the majority will not be, not fully understanding how hard it really is....If I do watch this program, I will be enraged if I see one person on the show crying their eyes out in the corner: "This is so hard!" and not even be in the elimination round yet. Yes, IT IS HARD. I fear that they won't understand this at all. But I will make my final judgement after watching the program.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Yankeefan007
#44re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 4:58pm

"How many times do you get to audition for Broadway!?"

....for a waitress in Arkansas, none. For a pre-school teacher in Tennessee, none.

Not everyone has the ways and means to pack up and move to New York.

You can't deny that this is a great opportunity.

ThankstoPhantom
#45re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 5:04pm

Yankee, I definately agree with you that it has the potential to be a great opportunity for people like that...perfhaps because her quote was out of context, I took it the wrong way.

But I definately stand by my post that I do not have full faith in the project, but I will be watching it before I make a finale judgement.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Yankeefan007
#46re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 5:09pm

I see where you're coming from, as well....no hard feelings and my post wasn't meant to be as nasty as it probably sounded.

I do agree with you that it takes jobs away from the starving artists, but so does casting Julia Roberts in Three Days of Rain when someone like Michelle Federer, her standby, could have done better....but this isn't a debate about celebrity casting.

ThankstoPhantom
#47re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 5:14pm

No big deal, Yankee!

Mistress_Spouzic Profile Photo
Mistress_Spouzic
#48re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 5:24pm

im sure just like every other bway show, itll run until its not profitable. They could easily continue to use the show for a reality show even if it isnt to cast the replacements- sadly Im sure being a replacement wouldnt sound like as big of a prize as originating the role.

gertiecummings Profile Photo
gertiecummings
#49re: Grease Will Run for 1 Year Minimum
Posted: 1/5/07 at 6:17pm

"You're the One That I Want" ISN'T EVEN IN THE STAGE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Therefore it's pretty pointless the show is titled that.

Is Broadway really selling out?