pixeltracker

Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?- Page 6

Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?

BroadwayBoy2 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy2
#125re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/8/07 at 10:03pm

"All my friends have been screaming about how amazing the show is. I know atleast 10 people who have seen it 5+ times. So, I decided to go see it today & I was really let down.
I think it didn't deserve the Broadway trasfer.
The score was really boring. I'm sorry, but I didn't like it. It was just boring. No excitment in the music, no "cute" love songs that make you cry, etc. It was just "oh".
The book wasn't that great. I mean, I don't really know how to judge a book, but just something didn't "connect" for me.
The good things of the show were all the actors. Everyone did a great job.

I don't know why, but just everyone doesn't stop talking about at my school "OMG spring awakening" & now that I saw it, I just feel like "oh i saw it. great".

Did I maybe miss something from the show?"

I agree with you on thinking the score is boring, i have yet to see it, prob wont ever, and i dont get why people are shi**ing them selves over this.

I'll have them clawing at eachother, like drag queens at a wig sale"

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#126re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/8/07 at 10:06pm

"No excitment in the music, no "cute" love songs that make you cry, etc. It was just "oh". "

What do you want, lame upbeat pop songs? There aren't supposed to be any "cute" love songs.

#127re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/8/07 at 11:01pm

I think this MamawhoBoreme character ought to give up her boring rants. Maybe then MamawhoBoreme might have the time to learn a little something.

snl89
#128re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/8/07 at 11:10pm

"No excitment in the music, no "cute" love songs that make you cry, etc. It was just "oh". "

What do you want, lame upbeat pop songs? There aren't supposed to be any "cute" love songs.

yeah, I mean, its just not that kind of show, thats all. I LOVE "cute" love songs in a show like Wedding Singer (*tear*), but Spring Awakening isn't like that- those types of songs wouldn't fit :)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#129re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/9/07 at 12:05am

I loved every single second of it. I adore the music, the score and the actors. I could see it multiple times and never get bored. I am sad that you didn't like it. I adore it. I do wish they had more elaborate sets but other than that I could see it every month.
The only critic that did not orgasm from it was Matthew Murray.
Updated On: 1/9/07 at 12:05 AM

gman07 Profile Photo
gman07
#130re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/9/07 at 12:48am

Enough already! O.k. some like it, some don't, move on.
Updated On: 1/9/07 at 12:48 AM

educator06 Profile Photo
educator06
#131re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/9/07 at 12:53am

I agree, this show must be cool to get this much buzz! To those of you who don't like it because it isn't like other Broadway shows all I can say is SORRY!!!!!!!!!!

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#132re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/9/07 at 1:38am

I love your icon. He is my favorite actor in the show!

Bobby Maler Profile Photo
Bobby Maler
#133re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/9/07 at 2:42am

Shesamarshmallow wrote: "the show gives no indication that they've spoken more than two times, the second of which he beats the crap out of her."

Others have already commented that you are mistaken about how far back Melchior and Wendla's relationship goes back. On that point I just wanted to reiterate that there are so many clues like that one which one misses upon the first viewing...I've heard more than one person, for instance, say they thought Ilsa first came on only in the second act! I think the people who are going to like this show are those who are able to imagine the back story which is weaved artfully but never fully commented upon throughout the musical. Those who are used to a more one dimensional, straight forward telling of a story will not be emotionally involved. I'm not saying these people are close minded, we as a culture are just more used to stories which have things laid out for us. Those who are able to fill in the gaps and use their imagination to truly experience how these characters must have lived will be rewarded.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#134re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:15am

I'm just loving the interesting conversations coming out of this, rather than - its crap, everyone who doesn't love it is stupid, hating kind of responses that come out.

Um...

"Spring Awakening is amazing. It didn't get RAVE reviews for being boring. The music is amazing!!! If you didn't like it you must be blind and/or deaf. I don't get why people need to bash things that are truly new, fresh, and exciting. I bet you will love Legally Blonde!"

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

sidjones09 Profile Photo
sidjones09
#135re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/9/07 at 3:32am

"I had absolutely no knowledge of the play going into the musical, and I read that scene as rape. It's not consensual if Wendla has no idea what it is or what the consequences are."

I've seen both the Off-Broadway and Broadway productions of SA. Just to clarify the 'sex/rape' scene. Those of you that saw SA at Atlantic should remember that this scene WAS a rape. It was definitely made clear that Wendla was not consenting to the act. This was changed to be more consensual for the Broadway run. Isherwood also refers to that in his NYT review. Also, the repeat of the sex scene in the beginning of Act II was not in the Atlantic production and they changed the song. There was a great song at the top of Act II called 'There Once was a Pirate' which was awesome. 'Guilty Ones' is great too, but I wish they had put 'Pirate' on the CD as well (maybe as a bonus track)

I hope you all get a chance to see the show regardless of your thoughts, opinions, or anything that is said on this board. If you are truly a fan of theatre, this is a show not to be missed. Not because you will leave absolutely loving it, but because you can say you were there for a show that will surely take its place in theatre history as one of the most talked about and hotly debated as you can see from the likes of this thread.

"If you've got something to say, say it, and think well of yourself while you're learning to say it better." - David Mamet

Kelizascop
#136re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/9/07 at 6:24am

"I wish they had put 'Pirate' on the CD as well (maybe as a bonus track) "
Which, they did.

fairygodmother Profile Photo
fairygodmother
#137re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 1/9/07 at 9:07am

orangeskittles - lmao! well, i was making a generalised point, but unfortunately there are a few exceptions! and it has degenerated since i wrote it!

on the whole rape/no rape, its a good thing its disturbing, but i don't think they were going for an undertone of anything sinister, just a tragic mix of information - like people have said, Melchior isn't presented as a figure of anything other than hope and redeement by the end. its naturalistic, melchior isn't evil just because he wanted to experiment, wendla isn't wholly childlike and innocent, just completely misinformed. as far as i see, she is completely consensual with experiencing sex, but not with getting pregnant.

and i completely believe that one of this show's strengths is that it isn't a show that ties up all the loose ends - the play wasn't like that either, and its kept the sense of that very well. the fact that the music breaks you out of the reality of the moment and into inner monologue, plus the way the songs are presented, continues that too.

lizpotter4cp Profile Photo
lizpotter4cp
#138re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 11/4/08 at 11:08pm

"I think only teenyboppers liked it."

Um, I can't even find the right words to express my anger towards this statement. I'm a "teenybopper" and yes I love Spring Awakening, but then again so does my mom.

Really, is it so wrong to have a show us teens can actually relate to? Personally I find shows like 13 insulting, do adults really think that all teens care about are zits and crushes? Spring Awakening does not underestimate what young adults think and feel. It is so rare to find any media that has the guts to actually do that.

I can't believe that people can leave the theater unaffected. Even if you are an adult, you can't think back to the days when you thought you were going to crumble under the pressure of the world, or had a day when you didn't know what was going on in your body or what you were feeling. I have seen the show three times now and each time I left knowing that I just saw something that had changed my life for the better.

Oh and incase you are wondering I'm only 14.

ashley0139
#139re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 11/4/08 at 11:16pm

.... Almost two years later...

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

WishingOnlyWounds2
#140re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 11/5/08 at 1:06am

To the OP: No.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#141re: Am I the only one that didn't enjoy Spring Awakening?
Posted: 11/5/08 at 1:36am

Well, at least she is learning how to use the search thread at such a young age!

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611