the next Disney show?

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
#1the next Disney show?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 7:08pm

How about instead of all these inspid transfers do something with a little intelligence?

I think "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" done by MJ LaChuisa or JR Brown would be super.

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#2re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 7:12pm

Well, they're producing a new musical with music/lyrics by Andrew Lippa that isn't based on a disney film...

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#2re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 7:16pm

its called "the man on the ceiling" i think

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#3re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 7:17pm

Look at AIDA...it wasn't a Disney movie before, it was an Opera but they changed it and made it way better and upbeat..and AIDA is my favorite out of all five shows right now( the others being Mary Poppins, Lion King, Tarzan, and Beauty and The Beast)

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#4re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 7:25pm

"it was an Opera but they changed it and made it way better and upbeat"

WOW.
RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.
WOW.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#5re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 7:25pm

I think Disney should slow down with the musicals for right now... Before they (for not wanting to sound impolite) "re-invent" another calssic opera/movie/ anything else I have come to love...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#6re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 7:27pm

Nothing. Isn't there enough already?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

broadwaystageaddict
#7re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 1/31/07 at 9:16pm

Disney needs to get off Broadway or at least think of something original

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#7re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 1:29am

Huh?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#8re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 1:51am

FutureAladdin, are you 12? Do you want to know about my friend Verdi? Yeah, he like, wrote this like opera, that didn't need improvement, you know? like?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Sant
#9re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 3:45am

Hopefully Disney will next time create something totally original. Something that's NOT based on their films.

#10re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 6:08am

Yeah, I don't think Disney should do more musicals for a while. But I think the one Disney musical that has the potential to be great would be "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." I just watched it the other day for the first time in ages, and it really lends itself to being staged. The musical numbers are fantastic.

*brina-doll* Profile Photo
*brina-doll*
#11re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 6:51am

I defiantly agree with that singinmysong13! If it is ever made into a stage production; I always thought it be cool to see Alan Cummings portray Clopin.

Your aspirations are your possibilities-Samuel Johnson (and a little help from nomdeplume)

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#12re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 8:59am

I don't think you should bug disney for producing shows. You might as well be upset with clear channel which produces shows and is a STRONG supporter of the republican party. You can easilly find something bad in any production company and boycott them based on that little thing. Or you can step back and enjoy there work.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

FosseForever3 Profile Photo
FosseForever3
#13re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 1:10pm

I've always wanted Alice in Wonderland to come to the stage, I don't know why. Maybe not Broadway, well perhaps eventually...

But I agree. We have enough Disney.

"Now she wants to know WHY, if I'm so fabulous, I would WANT to take care of her child.....I answer with as much filigree and insouciance as I can muster, trying to slightly cock my head like Snow White listening to the animals. She, in turn, is aiming for more of a Diane-Sawyer-pose, looking for answers which will confirm that I am not there to steal her husband, jewelry, friends, or child. In that order." The Nanny Diaries

rockfenris2005
#14re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 1:14pm

"The Hunchback of Notre Dame" was actually done in Germany. It had a new book by James Lapine (Sunday In The Park With George, Into The Woods) and a load of new songs. It is much closer to the original Victor Hugo novel

I wish they'd have transferred it

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Julian2
#15re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 2:05pm

Before they stuff any more crap down our throat, they need to bring Der Gloeckner Von Notre Dame to the US, as close to the German version as ARTISTICALLY possible. No dumbing down for american audiences, no change of tone. It would suck to have anothere Dance of the Vampires on our hands. I want to see some real theatrical art from Disney soemday instead of just family friendly ehh.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!
Updated On: 2/1/07 at 02:05 PM

BobbyErikValjean Profile Photo
BobbyErikValjean
#16re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 3:08pm

Der Glockner von Notre Dame.

I hope.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#17re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 3:14pm

the only reason i wanna see Der Glockner von Notre Dame is that i have a teen girl crush on Drew Sarich and i wanna see him in another show

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#18re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 3:16pm

The one that's sitting there screaming to be done is HERCULES. Seriously. Here's a show that's perfect for Broadway, and they're ignoring it... maybe because the themes of corporate greed hit a little too close to home, but anyway... HERCULES! START THE PETITION NOW!

Insofar as AIDA... they "made it way better and upbeat"??? Gads, with that attitude, I can only imagine the Disney versions of TOSCA. Or RIGOLETTO. Or the RING cycle. The mind truly reels at the possibility.

http://docandraider.com

AudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
#19re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 4:10pm

I think there is enough Disney, but I can see Hercules and Notre Dame

The Best of Times is Now!

TinyDancer2 Profile Photo
TinyDancer2
#20re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 5:13pm

Nightmare Before Christmas gets my vote.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#21re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 6:39pm

Actually no blaxx I'm 15, which I don't know why age comes into this, but I am well aware of Giuseppe Verdi's opera before the musical which the musical is inspired off of, I just like the musical a lot better than the opera. Yes the opera is a legend, but I just don't see anything that makes the opera better than the musical. As for TinyDancer2 I agree Nightmare Before Christmas would be amazing!!! I really want Mulan though :)

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#22re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 6:43pm

Hercules would be pretty awesome...but they would need the right people for it.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#23re: the next Disney show?
Posted: 2/1/07 at 7:11pm

>> I just don't see anything that makes the opera better than the musical

Is there one single number in that entire score that can even come close to the aria "Celeste Aida"? I really, really doubt it.

Tell you what: if AIDA the musical is still around in fifty years, maybe your point will be well taken. But dont count on it.

http://docandraider.com

Videos