pixeltracker

Composers you want to hear more from . . .- Page 3

Composers you want to hear more from . . .

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#50re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/12/07 at 9:20pm

Frankel and Guettel.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#51re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/12/07 at 9:33pm

Maury. Yeston.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

rparker912 Profile Photo
rparker912
#52re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/12/07 at 11:33pm

Jim Steinman.

Ryan Parker.

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#53re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/12/07 at 11:36pm

It would be neat to hear what Jim Steinman has up his sleeve...

But I adore Jason Robert Brown (always thought it would interesting to see what he could have done with a show like RAGTIME)

and after hearing Live Out Loud from A Little Princess by Andrew Lippa I am dying to hear more of his work.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#54re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 12:43am

Adam Guettel
Jason Robert Brown
Lin-Manuel Miranda

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

garyl
#55re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 8:03am

Of course Sondheim, but not another Bounce. Strouse Strouse Strouse. I know he has a huge amount of flops, but listen to the scores of Golden Boy, Rags, Dance a little Closer. What happened to Marty?

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#56re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 8:21am

David Yazbek, no question! His "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" was genius. I hope he's working on something as we speak.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#57re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 8:33am

J.R. Brown
Guettel
Lippa
LaChiusa
Sondheim
Wildhorn
Yazbeck

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#58re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 9:17am

William Finn Definately!

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#59re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 9:40am

Frankel and Korie together again-their music is gorgeous
and Lippa

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.
Updated On: 7/13/07 at 09:40 AM

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#60re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 9:58am

Adam Guettel
Jason Robert Brown
The team of Dempsey & Rowe
Michael John LaChiusa

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#61re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 10:01am

As many have mentioned before,Frankel and Korie and Guettel.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

SporkGoddess
#62re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 11:59am

Guettel and Ricky Ian Gordon. JRB too I suppose, though I didn't much care for 13.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#63re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 1:15pm

Adam Guettel. Whoever said he was terrible deserves a f****** great slap, if you ask me.

David Yazbek. Absolutely hilarious, but nowhere near prolific enough.

Marc Shaiman. Or perhaps I'm just ever so keen to see how 'Catch me If You Can' turns out.

Jim Steinman. I wish the 'Batman' musical hadn't died. ;_;

hortonhearsasam
#64re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 1:43pm

Jeanine Tesori
Ricky Ian Gordon (more like Dream True or Only Heaven, less like Orpheus & Euridice or My Life With Albertine)
Pasek & Paul
Brian Lowdermilk
Chris Miller & Nathan Tysen
Steve Marzullo
Jeff Blumenkrantz
Jenny Giering
Joshua Salzman (I Love You Because)
Jason Howland (Little Women... I'd love to see what he could do with a better lyricist than Mindi Dickstein)
David Kirshenbaum
Joe Iconis

Maybe that long of a list cheapens the significance, but I honestly want to hear more from all of these composers. I didn't include some of my favorite composers (Michael John LaChiusa, Adam Guettel, William Finn, Stephen Flaherty) because I feel like we have a lot from them already and some of them have started recycling. So for them I'm not dying for a new show immediately...I'd rather they spend time to do it as well as I know they all can.

SporkGoddess
#65re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:24pm

I forgot about Lowdermilk!

Aww, I like My Life With Albertine re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#66re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 2:46pm

Jenny Giering!! I just discovered this morning that she has an album and almost pissed my pants in joy!

also the guy that wrote The View from Here!

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~
Updated On: 7/13/07 at 02:46 PM

madison2
#67re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 3:47pm

Guettel and Finn for me.

My favorite newcomer is Robert Rokicki. He has a new show coming, and its supposed to be great!

Ronnik
#68re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 4:38pm

Hate to break it to you, but PRINCESS BRIDE is dead, and has been for a while. Guettel had creative and financial differences with William Goldman.

The composer I'm ALWAYS wanting to hear more from is shockingly obvious :)
The Ahrens & Flaherty website

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#69re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 9:03pm

LaChiusa, Ricky Ian Gordon, and Joseph Thalken all received grants from Signature Theatre to develop and execute a workshop/full production of a new show over the next three seasons. I believe it is one show from one composer each season, or at least that was how it was explained at the recent cabaret highlighting their work.

http://www.signature-theatre.org/american_voices.htm

So, we will hear more (new stuff) from them. I am particularly glad about the LaChiusa case. I would also like to hear more from Guettel and Ahrens and Flaherty.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

#70re: Composers you want to hear more from . . .
Posted: 7/13/07 at 10:04pm

What is Guettel working on now that Goldman is being a ninny and Princess Bride is over?