Center Stage as a musical?

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#1Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 8:09pm

Would the movie Center Stage work as a musical or even just a movin out like dance show?

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 8:12pm

If talented people were invovled, yes it would. Stroman did the film, maybe she can do the musical. I love this film.

withoutlovewithoutU
#2re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 8:15pm

Yeah one of my favorite too. The dance sequence at the end is amazing.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

Craww
#3re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 8:30pm

Only if we can get The Eyebrows to reprise his role on stage. re: Center Stage as a musical?

KillsTwiceADay Profile Photo
KillsTwiceADay
#4re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 8:47pm

oh heck yes. I've thought this for a long time. And I second the comment about "The Eyebrows." It would be brilliant.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#5re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 9:01pm

I'm actually surprised that with so many film-to-stage adaptations recently on Broadway or in development, this one hasn't found its way. It always seemed a natural for the stage.

Craww
#6re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 9:07pm

It's completely natural for the stage, but was not a great big hit, and (as much as I love it) is not a great movie. They'd rather shoehorn something with name recognition into a musical than develop one from something smaller that would support it better.

eb412
#7re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 11:04pm

i think it would be a fun show however fame has already filled its void in my opinion. i also think it would be hard to continually find up to snuff ballet dancers who could belt out some pop tunes...i know people would argue against that but even in a chorus line there are varying degrees of singing ability and only one girl has been continually praised for her singing ability. im definately not saying there arent true triple threats out there im just saying that i think for this show you would need real ballerinas and many of them would have to sing many songs. some characters in a chorus line dont sing or only sing part of a song...

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#8re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 11:08pm

I love that movie! If this was made itto a musical ti would have to have some seriously talented people attached to it.

snl89
#9re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 11:13pm

aactually, this is one movie that just MIGHT work as a musical! if some insanely talented people were involved, I could imagine it being very cool on stage.

aaand I LOVE this movie. I havn't watched it in forever though, I need to watch it again re: Center Stage as a musical?

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 2/8/07 at 11:13 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#10re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 11:36pm

it would be neat if Susan Stroman made some kind of Contact like musical out of it.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#11re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/8/07 at 11:47pm

I heard Tina Madigan and Vanessa Williams have been contacted.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#12re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 1:16am

"even in a chorus line there are varying degrees of singing ability and only one girl has been continually praised for her singing ability"

Who?

Also, totally random, can anyone tell me how to put stuff in italics?

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#13re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 1:22am

alright, I'll teach you some html. to put something in italics, just type < i > without the spaces between the characters (I can't type it out right or the board will just make my instructions italicized too), and then type < / i > (again, without the spaces between characters to end the italicization.

eatlasagna
#14re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 2:07am

so is Eyebrows Peter Gallagher... took me a while to figure that out... am i right?

lastly... i love this movie... it's a guilty pleasure... oh but dear God does the ending make me laugh.... "jodi sawyer" *clap clap clap*... aaaaargggghh..... that is EXTREMELY cheesey!!!!!

Jovie24 Profile Photo
Jovie24
#15re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 2:12am

it would be like another FAME but for just only dancers...I can see it...would be gr

"Now the best way to learn the theater, always, is to be a stage manager" -Stephen Sondheim

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#16re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/9/07 at 9:32am

Though I agree it would be unlikely to happen, this is one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies and I agree with insanely talented people, it could work.

But some people may consider it too much of a Fame copy anyway.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#17re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/10/07 at 3:47pm

Thanks Ourtime!

neddyfrank2
#18re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/10/07 at 4:13pm

I think this could work, but only if the right people were involved.

withoutlovewithoutU
#19re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/10/07 at 7:39pm

Would it be too over the top to work off-Broadway? cause, sometimes it doesn't matter if the movie on which the show was based was a hit.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#20re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/10/07 at 11:42pm

< i > is this italicized?

americanboy99
#21re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/10/07 at 11:43pm

is this?

americanboy99
#22re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/10/07 at 11:43pm

yes!

beyondblessed Profile Photo
beyondblessed
#23re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/10/07 at 11:52pm

oh HELL yes. I would so go see it.

Going to a musical late in its run is like going to a prostitute late in her shift.

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
#24re: Center Stage as a musical?
Posted: 2/11/07 at 12:26am

Heck yeah!

Although, that move that Jodie does in Cooper's ballet from fresh-faced ballerina in white to painted slut in red is a highlight for me - but couldn't be done on stage, sadly.

And I would love to hear Maureen's elephant and mouse joke made into a touching ballad - "Take it bitch!"

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller

Videos