pixeltracker

Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?- Page 4

Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?

MLE Profile Photo
MLE
#75re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 10:34pm

Foster, you're right. This subject has already been talked to death.
I'm going to watch Sarah Silverman and hangout on the OT.

fachedaluna Profile Photo
fachedaluna
#76re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 10:37pm

***The BWW posters are by and large well educated in show business and their comments come from informed opinions***

I'm sorry I will debate you on the term "well educated in show business and their comments come from informed opinions". Not everyone on this board, who is posting that this show will bomb, has seen the show. Plus some have not even looked in on Castcom.

Come on, many of these posts are put out into cyberspace just to stir up discussion and discord. (thats my opinion for what it's worth) lol
Updated On: 2/15/07 at 10:37 PM

LovinGoodMusicals
#77re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 10:48pm

I was lucky enough to see the show in Chicago about the middle of previews. Obviously, some things could be changed, but overall I thought the show had (and still has) A LOT of potential. The performances (singing and acting wise) were VERY strong. Stephanie J. Block and Hadley Fraser have such amazing voices! Costumes and set pieces were very strong as well. Not to mention the beautiful Irish-themed music.

One thing that kind of bugged me about the show was the sword fighting. It seemed to be very rehearsed (not natural)and quite weak. But I'm sure that will improve in time.

Overall, I hope people do not rule out this show. I think people will be impressed.

Best of luck to cast, crew, and production staff over at PQ for a great run!!

fachedaluna Profile Photo
fachedaluna
#78re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 11:40pm

Hey AugustN

(I think it will bomb. I really don't want it to, I would it to be a huge success.
The reason i think it will bomb is because Marting Guerre was a fantastic piece of theatre, with gorgeous songs and similar river dance sequences. Plus, the story of Martin Guerre was known by many, due to Somersby. However, they could NOT sell that show not matter how many transformations the show went through and how mnay names they had attached: Iain Glenn, Maria Friedman, Joanna Riding to name but a few.)

****Then on another topic (PQ Rehearsal posting) you wrote***

I think Marcus Chait hits the proverbial nail on the head by stating that Broadway NEEDS a musical like 'The Pirate Queen'. In an age where juke-box musicals and movie-musicals are prevailing we need a traditional, narrative driven epic, with sweeping love songs and 3 dimensional characters that we empathise with.
I hope the show is a huge success. Stephanie deserves it.

Since the PQ doesn't seem to be anything like Martin Guerre, which comment do you truly believe. Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

Honesty now...this Millennium seems to be one for the strong woman. PQ has that element and more. Plus the comment that Marcus Chait stated. Maybe it's time for the bubble gum musicals to become more suffocated. Don't get me wrong I truly like the light hearted musical with all its fun music...but change is good! Something more serious & dimensional in topic is a GOOD THING.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#79re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 11:43pm

In AugustN's defense, I'd like to point out that he said:

"I would it to be a huge success."

Worth keeping in mind.

OK, proceed.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

WellIfYouInsist
#80re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 11:50pm

First of all Maria Friedman, to the best of my knowledge, only sang "How Many Tears" in the "Hey, Mr. Producer!" concert and was never attatched to any actual production of Martin Guerre.

LovinGoodMusicals - There was a recent castcom with the fight choreographer, who indicated that the fighting will probably be much better now.

brdlwyr
#81re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/16/07 at 12:42am

In regard to something that B3 posted, my opinions are always biased - they are mine!

WellIfYouInsist
#82re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/16/07 at 12:48am

That's not what he meant and you know it.

NYLG Profile Photo
NYLG
#83re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/16/07 at 12:50am

"But if a performer is giving their all and drawing you into their world, the exact wording of a few phrases isn't going to be what stays with you."

Weez: I saw the show in Chicago, and there were quite a few clunky lyrics...which, unfortunately, *I* found difficult to shake. One number, BOYS'LL BE BOYS, not only had cheesy lyrics, but it also smacked of several other B&S songs rolled into one extremely annoying package.

Let's assume, for the moment, what you say is true...that as long as you are drawn into the world onstage, then the lyrics aren't paramount. What happens if the lyrics aren't great, nor are you drawn into the action at all? THAT was my major complaint with the show. Stephanie J. Block had a few nice moments as Grania, but other than that, most of the characters lacked any connection, either with the audience or each other. So...cheesy lyrics and a hollow experience. God I hope they are able to fix this thing!

P.S. Now I can't get BOYS'LL BE BOYS out of my head...OY!!!

If you'd have been there...If you'd have seen it...I betcha you would have done the same! - CHICAGO

brdlwyr
#84re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/16/07 at 12:50am

Yes, I do.

NYLG Profile Photo
NYLG
#85Words that go clunk in the night...
Posted: 2/16/07 at 1:48am

"And I don't even have to fit a certain length phrase or aim for a rhyme or anything when I'm talking so I deserve even less leniency than someone singing a song that has a two-line clunker."

I disagree Weez. Unless you rehearse everything that you say, I believe you deserve MORE leniency than a performer who has sung a line god-knows-how-many-times...even if the clunker isn't their fault. Rehearsals and Previews are designed to provide an opportunity to work out the kinks. There is a reason that shows go through a gazillion fixes before they open on Broadway...and I believe that clunky lyrics qualify as kinks.

Lyric writing is a craft...a craft for which theatre-goers often pay $100+ a pop to hear. The one consistent complaint I have been hearing since October, even among PQ lovers, is that many of the lyrics are questionable. A professional performer should not have to struggle to sing ANY awkward lines once they have been identified as such. Additonally, the lyricist should be amenable to fixes once there has been some feedback...and God knows there has been tons of feedback with the reviews and the message boards. I'm not saying that the creators of PQ should change things based on the Gospel according to BWW, but there have been some reasonable comments and suggestions. The powers-that-be would be remiss not to at least consider some of what has been said/written about the Chicago production. We are talking BROADWAY, here...the standard should be higher than community theatre.

As much as lyric writing is art, when millions of dollars are spent to get those lyrics heard, it is also business. If an attorney is paid a ridiculous amount of money to write an airtight contract, there had better not be ANY clunkers. I realize that we are talking about a subjective art form, which is not exactly contract law, but still... If a lyricist is being paid a ridiculous amount of money for his/her words, then there is really no reason for it to sound amateurish.

If you'd have been there...If you'd have seen it...I betcha you would have done the same! - CHICAGO

galindagirl2 Profile Photo
galindagirl2
#86Words that go clunk in the night...
Posted: 2/16/07 at 2:00am

Oh goodness..I hope it doesn't bomb. It's about time Stephanie became a "name".

It's All Good Profile Photo
It's All Good
#87Words that go clunk in the night...
Posted: 2/16/07 at 2:50am

I have no attachment to the performers or creative team of the show and yet I really want it to succeed. I think the story sounds fascinating and with B&S music it can only be epic. If anything, hats off to the producers and creative team for attempting something new. This is the show I have been most looking forward to in 2007. So bring on the Pirate Queen. I'm ready.

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#88Where has it been writ my life should come to...
Posted: 2/16/07 at 7:17am

"Lyric writing is a craft..."

I agree that many of the lyrics for PQ in Chicago were abysmal. A great performer might also be able to overcome mediocre sets, but that doesn't mean we'd want to see Stephanie belting in front of a flimsy cardboard mockup of a ship. Here's a quote from Talkin' Broadway's review of the Chicago opening that I think sums it up:

"Boublil, who wrote the lyrics for Les Mis in French and had them translated into English by Herbert Kretzmer, seems still not ready to be writing verse in English, even with the assistance of the fine American lyricist John Dempsey (The Witches of Eastwick, The Fix). Like Boublil's lyrics for Miss Saigon (co-written with Richard Maltby, Jr.), his verse here still favors short lines and monosyllabic rhymes (like "me" and "be" ) with payoffs you can guess from five or six beats away."

I did like the lyrics for "If I Said I Loved You", "I'll Be There" and "Let A Father Stand By His Son".

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#89Where has it been writ my life should come to...
Posted: 2/16/07 at 9:24am

I have seen this show(on a format we can't talk about) and have to say i thought it was awful.
The show just seemed to plod along from one average number to another(the queen's stuff was dire).
The performances were good and i wish the cast well but the show itself i just can't see working.

Ive been in shows where rewrites have been needed etc and you can normally tell when your in rehearsals what will be changed etc but watching this show i just don't see how it's gonna be saved.

It's biggest problem is it's slow and pretty dull,the sets are also pretty naff and the story doesn't seem to spike.

As i say i do wish the actors all the best because it certainly wasn't there fault but the show itself (my opinion) seems to be DOA

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

rockfenris2005
#90Where has it been writ my life should come to...
Posted: 2/16/07 at 11:35am

I must say I'm, personally, surprised with myself for not showing any interest in PQ. I followed "Les Miserables", "Miss Saigon" and "Martin Guerre" and I love those scores. The original French "Les Mis", incidentally, is such a more powerful show than the English one ever was. I wish someone would revive it, perhaps in France, but alas...

"Martin Guerre" was doomed by all the re-writes. I really hope they get this one together, I would love if they had another hit. I'm not excited that they're not performing their usual duties on their next show, but I'd imagine it would take a while to get on if PQ is a stinker.

Also, I find it interesting that PQ is the first time they've launched a show on Broadway. Can anyone explain that??

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#91Where has it been writ my life should come to...
Posted: 2/16/07 at 11:43am

"Also, I find it interesting that PQ is the first time they've launched a show on Broadway. Can anyone explain that?? "

Les Mis, Miss Saigon and Martin Guerre were produced by Cameron Mackintosh who is based in London.

I belive Doherty and McColgan who are producing PQ are based in Dublin. Perhaps they didn't think Dublin was a big enough theater town to launch this new project.

Edit: I just don't get Martin Guerre. I know many people who post here consider it to be a great score, but I've never been able to hear anything of merit there. I'm basing this on the London cast recording and having seen the show in Minneapolis. Is there some other recording available that shows MG's brilliance?

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie
Updated On: 2/16/07 at 11:43 AM

rockfenris2005
#92Where has it been writ my life should come to...
Posted: 2/16/07 at 1:33pm

They all have their flaws. Musically, the Complete Symphonic Recording is the way to go. Performance-wise, Chris really grates on me. I also think M.S. has some of the worst lyrics I've heard from a major successful musical. I could make some examples but I'd be here all day, and I don't want to take up the thread (examples that immediately come to mind are Thuy and Kim's confrontation, What A Waste w/ The Engineer and etc. Just... yeesh!)

To be honest, I was panicking when I heard the same lyricist Maltby Jr. would be "doctoring" Pirate Queen. I hope the lyrics aren't as bad as some of those.

Another thing I'll say, I'll never understand why certain people think Martin Guerre is the superior score to Miss Saigon. Saigon has such heartbreaking music, for me, but there were only 3 or 4 songs I liked from Martin Guerre. I fell asleep, no matter which version

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#93PQ DISCUSSION THREAD
Posted: 2/16/07 at 1:46pm

I have seen this show(on a format we can't talk about) and

You really formed an opinion about a show in it's entirety based on some partial crappy illegal bootlegs? Wow.

I mean, even if you loved it... just, wow.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#94PQ DISCUSSION THREAD
Posted: 2/16/07 at 5:14pm

its a pro shot company video of the show

and yes thats what i formed my opinion on,a perfect copy of the show on dvd

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#95PQ DISCUSSION THREAD
Posted: 2/16/07 at 5:22pm

By saying you can't talk about it (Oops - guess you just talked about it, huh?)I assumed it was a bootleg. My bad, I apologize.

I hope whoever you got that from doesn't know you're publically telling people you think it's awful.

Lady Italy Profile Photo
Lady Italy
#96PQ DISCUSSION THREAD
Posted: 2/17/07 at 1:00pm

****NO, IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT BOMB !!!!**** So many are basing opinions on Chicago previews and that's truly not fair. Let the show open on 'BROADWAY' then we can talk bombing.

Some of these threads are so pessimistic it's cruel. And I believe the majority of the board writers (on the subject of PQ) haven't even seen the show. The comments are only based on what they hear and read. So much of what we think in this world is dependent on what we hear...not what we truly know.

Come on all you beautiful people out there in message board world. Let's think like Popular and TechEverlasting. Let this show open. (Thanks XOOOOXX)

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#97PQ DISCUSSION THREAD
Posted: 2/17/07 at 1:02pm

its not amazing nor bad...its average.....i would give it a
6 1/2 out of 10

brooklynbecca Profile Photo
brooklynbecca
#98PQ DISCUSSION THREAD
Posted: 2/17/07 at 1:13pm

I saw this back in October. I'm sure it has made tons of changes by now, but at the time I was fighting not to laugh at it (not with it). The fact that it's called the Pirate Queen would make one think that they'd be on a boat more than just twice. When I saw it, she was on a boat at the beginning as a stowaway, and then at the top of act II, when she actually fought. So, she was not very much of a pirate. Anyway, it had it's good points. Linda as Elizabeth I was my favorite part. She'd enter in these glorious costumes (that I think will get the Tony), sing ungodly high notes, and offer the only humor in the show that was intentional. When she was offstage, I was dismal.

However, the Chicago audience seemed to be more forgiving than I was. They applauded loudly enough. There wasn't a standing ovation or anything, but no one was bashing it in the lobby or anything.

The sets and lighting were cool, and the dancing was, well, you know how Irish dancing wins people over. I just thought the show as a whole kinda blew.

I'm sure it's been tweaked a ton, but if it hasn't been, it's dead in the water when it opens here.
Updated On: 2/17/07 at 01:13 PM

FallintoLight Profile Photo
FallintoLight
#99PQ DISCUSSION THREAD
Posted: 2/17/07 at 2:03pm

Can we stay positive about it? I really think that if people, who have not seen the show and even people who DID see it in Chicago, went in with an open mind they will have an enjoyable experience. It IS begin tweaked and improved upon. I said it before in the Hilton Seating Question thread and I'll say it again...We believe what we are fed...rather than thinking for ourselves!
Updated On: 2/17/07 at 02:03 PM