...yes please.

(*Yes, I am bringing that up again!*)

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#27re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 3:37pm

I really liked it with Ellena. It was great minus the fact that they seem to like keeping the temperature on BROIL in there.

But what a shame.

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#28re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 5:06pm

Not surprising. I thought it was a thoroughly uninspired revival with only Elena Roger's performance lifting it above the mediocre.

Fosse76
#29re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 5:40pm

"Aren't there union rules about taking sets from overseas?"

What union would that be?

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#30re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 5:59pm

Pass. But usually when something opens up on broadway or the West End, they will redo a set rather than taking an existing one, because if they ALL used existing sets, then professional set creators would be out of work REALLY fast.

I'm sure Actor's Equity exchanges could be arranged really easily. It seems we have quite a few Broadway actors in the West End at the moment. ^_^

The revival itself was fairly bland, I thought, but the principal cast lifted it above mediocrity. I was very impressed with 'em all. Will totally have to add a final trip to 'Evita' to my crowded theatre-going schedule. XD

vmlinnie
#31re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 6:32pm

It was a really big show, big set. Roger was great, but incredibly small!

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#32re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 7:24pm

Bring on the Broadway Transfer! If they put it in a medium-size house like the Neil Simon, it should be able to fill the seats.

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#33re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 7:31pm

The actors were great (mostly), but the direction seemed scattered or lacking. Although I really liked Philip Quast, I don't think you're supposed to feel quite so sorry for Peron, and although I'm sure Matt Rawle is talented, it didn't work to have so little sarcasm and opposition from Che. While individually the actors were (mostly) wonderful, the overall effect was muddy.

But Elena Roger is/was the main reason to see this production, and I'm not surprised they would close it soon after her (rumored, projected, whatever) departure.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

ThankstoPhantom
#34re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 8:06pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the tentative Broadway production went under some revision (the production has been considered bland, as was made evident by previous posters).

Just bring in Roger!

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#35re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 9:59pm

Hmmm.. So the London production kind of sucked and the last US National tour was beyond dreadful. Has it occured to anyone that perhaps... IT JUST IS NOT A GOOD SHOW????

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#36re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 10:04pm

I think that is what people are getting at unless you have a star like Roger and a director like Prince.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#37re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 10:18pm

When done well it is a very GOOD SHOW.
Eden almost got it in London so let's see her in the role at some point.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#38re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 10:46pm

Dame -your the first person I've ever read say that Evita "...JUST IS NOT A GOOD SHOW????" Even lloyd webber haters for the most part like Evita.

Why it wasnt successful in London remains a bit of a mystery to me. Again, I think the marketing at RUG is awful. The revival got awesome reviews - especially Rogers.

But they bungled so many things - even look at how they handled distributing the recording - then did a highlights version, they recorded it before it opened and then released it late. It was June/July - not exactly prime time to debut a Major revival.

I don't know for sure - obviously - but I just think that once again RUG messed things up. Evita should have been teflon, especially in the UK. For it to close before it's 1 year anniversary is incredibly disappointing.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#39re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 10:49pm

I guess DAME didn't get the role at some point.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#40re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 2/28/07 at 11:31pm

"Aren't there union rules about taking sets from overseas?"

What union would that be?"

That would be United Scenic Artists, Local 829 and, of course, the Teamsters.

Do you want to piss off set designers and Teamsters?

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

COOOOLkid
#41re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 3/1/07 at 12:00am

Is the gross for London theatres posted somewhere online? I'd love to find out about it.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

MovieGuy1031 Profile Photo
MovieGuy1031
#42re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 3/1/07 at 12:02am

How is this recording? I almost purchased it but got Bernarda Albe instead.

...needless to say, it was a hapless mistake.

"The nice thing about the rain is that it always stops... eventually."

- Eeyore

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#43re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 3/1/07 at 12:07am

I really enjoy this new recording -

the orchestrations are beautiful - Elena Rogers sounds terrific(I hear she's better live though...)

Particularly like You Must Love Me (with the new orchestrations) and The Money Kept Rolling in

Only complaint - it's a highlight recording rather than the complete score

chino Profile Photo
chino
#44re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 3/1/07 at 12:15am

It's time to go back to Broadway, Eva.

The cast recording is amazing. I just wish it was complete though. I hope when they decide to tranfer here, they will release a complete recording.

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#45re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 3/1/07 at 12:18am

doubt they recorded a complete recording and REALLY doubt they'd re-record it, especially if Elena came to broadway...

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#46re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 3/1/07 at 2:11am

You Must Love Me sounds good on the CD but it stops the show dead in the second act - it is totally not needed.

I liked the production overall - the opening and everything leading to Buenos Aires was terrific, better than the original. After that, the gigantic set kind of took over. It bothered me that Che - Matt Rawle - didn't have a beard and had an English accent. I can't really defend this position but I wanted more of a Spanish feel to things and other than Elena there was none.

That said I liked it a lot and I believe it WOULD do well in New York and that Ms Roger would be the next Toast of Broadway if given the chance. Re it's so-called lack of success, the theatre was packed when I saw it - last week - and there were no discounts. It was not exactly a flop.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#47re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 3/1/07 at 6:47am

I was talking to someone whos partner is in the show and apparently it has lost a lot of money.They also said the plans to take it to new york were never spoke about(it was hearsay) .I very much doubt it will transfer since its seen as a bit of a dud now.

Also they will prob use the set etc for a UK tour

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Updated On: 3/1/07 at 06:47 AM

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#48re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 3/1/07 at 7:03am

I recently saw this production and thought it was spectacular. Elena Roger is simply stunning. I really hope they bring it over for everyone to enjoy, especially since Elena is bursting with such talent.

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

Nosferatu Profile Photo
Nosferatu
#49re: London Evita to Close May 26th
Posted: 3/1/07 at 9:26am

Too bad, one of the greastest show and revival in town !

Sarah bernhardt to a fellow actress: "Have you got stage fright, dear?" "No," the young lady aswered astonished. "Don't worry, it will come along with talent!"

Videos