I've seen 70 Shows this year!

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#1I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 7:42pm

I just counted all the tickets to the shows I've see this past year and apparently I've seen quite a few. I count my Broadway seasons starting from my birthday since the first Broadway show I ever saw was on my birthday. My birthday's not until the end of April so I have two months until this "season" ends but if I count the shows I have tickets for and the shows I plan to see in March and April I get 70! I think that's crazy! Is there therapy for people like me? I've seen 70 Shows this year!

Anyway, who else is "up there" with me seeing too many shows? I know some of y'all have seen more in a one-year period....I'm not a total freak...right? I've seen 70 Shows this year!

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#2re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 8:05pm

70 different shows? Or 70 including repeats?

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#2re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 8:09pm

Okay, you go me there...only 45 are shows I saw for the first time. Still! I spent around 14% of my income on shows! Crazy!

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#3re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 8:12pm

Oh, well if you include repeats, I've seen way more than you.

2 shows alone add up to more than 70 for me.
Updated On: 3/3/07 at 08:12 PM

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#4re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 8:18pm

Wow! Quite the superfan!
Okay, you're making me feel better. :) I've guess I've probably seen 100 shows total...the odd part is that seventy of those were in the last 12 months.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#5re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 8:29pm

and......?

I'm not gonna be the bitch here, but I just don't understand why people make threads like this to brag about how many shows they have seen.

I mean, good for you and all, for having that much money and supporting the arts, but why announce it to the world? It makes us poor folk very envious and upset because we would see a show a night if we could, but due to financial constraints simply cannot.

No attacks, just try to think of us less fortunate folks sometimes.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."
Updated On: 3/3/07 at 08:29 PM

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#6re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 8:35pm

Sorry...didn't mean to make anyone one feel bad. Honestly I guess I was just shocked to really know how many shows I'd seen. It got me thinking about how much money I spent on those shows and I guess I was hoping to feel a little less guilty cause I knew there were others here who've spent a lot more than me. I don't make very much money, but I work hard and sometimes I do choose to see a show rather than to eat out or buy new clothes. Broadway shows are what make my work and school bearable.
Updated On: 3/3/07 at 08:35 PM

neddyfrank2
#7re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 8:36pm

All on Broadway?

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#8re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 8:40pm

36 on Broadway, not including repeats...all at $35 or less. Again, not bragging...I guess I saw that many because it gives me pleasure.

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#9re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 8:53pm

agreed, pippin.

i think that's fantastic for you and all, and not to be a negitive nancy, but it is kind of unecessary to post it on the main board. lucky for you to live really close to the city and to be able to frivolously drop $$ every week on shows. if we all were that lucky, than the world and the theatre community would be a happier place. unfortunately, it is not that way.

but, that's nice for you.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#10re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 10:07pm

I wish I could see 70 shows.
Pity I live an hour and twenty minutes away, and train fares are a b!tch.

Anyway, congrats on the 70.

kjklo
#11re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 10:23pm

I think it's great that you've chosen to spend your hard-earned cash on live theatre. Nothing to apologize for or be embarrased about at all. Hope you can keep it up as you get older. Why announce it to the world? Because it's an inspiration to the rest of us, that's why!

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#12re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 10:28pm

Yeah, I don't think you have to apologize at all!

I've recently taken to actually using Pittburgh's wonderful theatre district, and tonight I saw the local production of Forbidden Broadway (which my theatre teacher is in) for the fourth time!

40$ without student ID, 12.50$ with. I'm seeing as many shows as I possibly can until I turn 26!

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

Pinky Profile Photo
Pinky
#13re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 10:31pm

I wish I could see 70 (heck, I'd take 7) shows on Broadway a year!!! re: I've seen 70 Shows this year! Many of us are stuck in school & pretty far from the city.

It's not an inspiration though...I'd do it if I could!!!

Penn State Forever!!!!

April Saul
#14re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 11:17pm

Hey, DO NOT let anybody make you feel guilty! From the prices you are paying, you must be a student and even if it's a lot of your income, it would be so much more expensive if you didn't have that ID. So use it and enjoy...I remember being a student in London for a semester and I practically lived in the theaters there-- when I wasn't running around Europe on a youth rail pass. It's your time!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#15re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 11:32pm

I saw 97 individual shows in the greater NYC area last year. Counting repeats, the number hovers around 130.

Since January 1, 2007, I've seen 35 shows.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#16re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 11:35pm

I've seen 30 Broadway shows and over a hundred shows if you count off-Broadway, regional, community, college, and high school.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Lizzya9
#17re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 11:39pm

that's sickening. Do you have a money tree in your backyard? Share some with the rest of us!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#18re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 11:48pm

I paid somewhere around $3000 for all of my shows. Gotta love TDF and papering services.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

neddyfrank2
#19re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 11:51pm

Shut Up Lizzya.

Can you list them?

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#20re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 11:54pm

This year so far:

1. Regrets Only (1/10, 2PM)
2. Translations (1/10, 8PM)
3. An Evening with Kathy Griffin (1/19, 8PM)
4. The Fever (1/20, 2PM)
5. The Vertical Hour (1/20, 8PM)
6. Frank's Home (1/21, 2:30PM)
7. A Spanish Play (1/27, 2PM)
8. Adrift in Macao (1/28, 3PM)
9. Dutchman (1/30, 7PM)
10. The Apple Tree (1/31, 8PM)
11. Anon (2/1, 7:30PM)
12. The Coast of Utopia: Salvage (2/2, 8PM)
13. Howard Katz (2/3, 2PM)
14. The Jew of Malta (2/3, 8PM)
15. Summer and Smoke (2/4, 2PM)
16. I Puritani (2/5, 7:30PM)
17. Mary Rose (2/6, 8PM)
18. A Very Common Procedure (2/7, 7PM)
19. Mr. Fabulous (2/8, 3PM) Left at intermission
20. Follies (2/10, 2PM)
21. Betty Buckley: Quintessence (2/10, 10:30PM)
22. Journey's End (2/11, 3PM)
Follies (2/12, 7PM)
23. Eugene Onegin (2/13, 8PM)
24. Jenufa (2/14, 8PM)
25. King Lear (2/16, 8PM)
26, Talk Radio (2/17, 2PM)
27. The Little Dog Laughed (2/17, 8PM)
28. Kiki and Herb (2/18, 11:30PM)
29. Working (2/19, 8PM)
30. Prelude to a Kiss (2/20, 8PM)
31. Dying City (2/21, 8PM)
32. Simon Boccanegra (2/27, 8PM)
33. Jack Goes Boating (2/28, 8PM)
34. Curtains (3/1, 8PM)
Prelude to a Kiss (3/2, 8PM)
35. The Pirates of Penzance (3/3, 8PM)

I don't have last year's list on my laptop.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#21re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 11:54pm

I'm so jealous of you. I wish I could see that many shows in a year. But it's awesome that you've seen that many. re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#22re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/3/07 at 11:56pm

I have friends who see between 150-200 shows a year, so my number sounds like nothing compared to them. I'm hoping to pass the 100 mark this year.

neddyfrank2
#23re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/4/07 at 12:11am

ACL- You forgot to count FOLLIES as one, you didn't put a number next to it.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#24re: I've seen 70 Shows this year!
Posted: 3/4/07 at 12:22am

Anything that doesn't have a number in front of it is a repeat viewing. I counted FOLLIES (#20) the first time I saw it; the second time doesn't count. Same for PRELUDE TO A KISS.

Videos