Starlight Express

beyondblessed Profile Photo
beyondblessed
#1Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 12:10am

So, let me get this straight. ALW wrote musical about cosmic choo-choo trains? And this was a hit? I checked the ALW website and saw some pics, did anyone see it either in London or at the Gershwin? I saw a brief synopsis, but I need details on this one. How was the music? This was way before my time, but I just have to know more about this show.

Going to a musical late in its run is like going to a prostitute late in her shift.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#2re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 12:20am

Have you heard "Musetta's Waltz" by Puccini?

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

TLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
#2re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 12:24am

I liked the show much more than cats that's for sure....um but I'm bad at explaining music, but I'd did enjoy the title song.

2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis

brdlwyr
#3re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 12:25am

I saw it in Washington DC in 1990. The actors were on skates mimicing trains. There are some nice songs. I have been a fan and somewhere in the basement is the casette tape of the London recording.

beyondblessed
#4re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 12:33am

yes I'm familiar with Musetta's Waltz, from La Bohème, what of it?

Going to a musical late in its run is like going to a prostitute late in her shift.

BSoBW2
#5re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 12:39am

B3TA was trying to make a joke.

STARLIGHT is everything that is cheesy about the '80's. And it holds a dear place in my heart.

It ranges in styles from blues to rap - though I am sure neither genre would accept the respective styles in STARLIGHT.

It's a fairytale of sorts. I believe ALW wrote it for his son.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#6re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 12:41am

^Read my sig.

Skip over "Make Up My Heart" on the CD, since you've heard it. Just do it. Don't ask. Don't let curiosity get the best of you.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#7re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 12:52am

It's a family oriented show, much like Joseph and Cats. It did very well in London, but not on Broadway though.

ALW wrote it for his son and daughter and the story is about racing trains. The original 1984 production score had few memorable tunes ('Only he', 'Starlight Express', 'Call me Rusty'...) and the remastared edition of this cast recording was released in late 2005.

The show was re-vamped in 1993; the orchestrations were given a more contemporary pop touch, some old songs were cut and some new ones added (especially good are 'Next time you fall in love' and 'Make up my heart').

It's not my favorite ALW, but still worth checking into.

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#8re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 1:31am

Basically, it is just Power Rangers on rollerskates the musical.

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

clarky Profile Photo
clarky
#9re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 4:11am

There is still a production in Germany running since 1988. It's playing in a theater that was build for the show, it is a fantastic production, because, the place was made for the show.

www.starlightexpress.de

Urban
#10re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 7:52am

I LOVE the German Recording of the show.

Don't ask me what though I like it since I tend to really dislike ALW's other 80s works.

For some reason 'Starlight Express' works for me. It is light and fluffy but very entertaining.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#11re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 8:04am

This show has such a special place in my heart. The Starlight Sequence (I Am The Starlight) is one of my fave ALW songs.

I've mentioned this before, but the production I saw had all these ramps that mechanically moved and reconnected (like hot wheels tracks) during the races and I was so nervous that they wouldn't hook up flush and somone would trip on their skates! As a child I was very scared and couldn't enjoy those scenes b/c of it. Fortunately, no one ever tripped.

....but the world goes 'round

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#12re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 9:01am

Oh Starlight Express. It will always hold a special place in my heart. It was the first Broadway tour I ever saw....back in 1989. I thought the tour that went around then was pretty good! The recent tour, however, was a giant mess and I couldn't even believe what I was watching!!! It's not a great show, but as a former figure & speed skater (on roller skates), I was always fascinated by it. :)

I was even in an "illegal" production of it where we had a huge bridge on stage and ramps into the isles. We skated down one isle, around the audience, through the lobby and back up the other isle to the stage for the race. So much fun!!!

Updated On: 3/9/07 at 09:01 AM

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#13re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 9:15am

If it is "way" before your time, are you 13?

JBSinger
#14re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 9:16am

It is based on "the little engine that could." And all the characters are toys, by the way. The races are fabricated by their child owner. Rusty, a steam train with no self confidence has to take on the Elvis Deisel Train and the Electric train AC/DC in a series of races. The mythical Starlight Express arrives and shows Rusty that HE has the power to win the races and believe in himself (and get the girl). The original OLC album is quite charming (yes, there are some dud songs), but the Bway version destroyed the charm and I haven't investigated the subsequent revisions. There was a "Memory" in the show called "Only He" but that power solo went away for Bway. Yes, its a little cheesy but it is a family show with spectacle, a neat set and fun numbers. It wasn't trying to be the next Evita. It has been called "CATS on TRacks" as well.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#15re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 9:30am

Only He was the same melody as I Am The Starlight. I Love it so much. It still gives me chills.

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#16re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 9:38am

I saw it at the Gershwin. I was a teenager then. I liked it because I was in the first row and they skated two inches from my face, so that was exciting. It was not a great show, or even a good show, but it was fun for a teenager. And I knew someone in it so that was exciting for me as well. But I don't remember any of the songs, except for the title song...I wouldn't go see it again if it came back to Broadway. It was more of a spectacle than a quality Broadway show. And if there was any storyline, I don't remember it at all. Just people skating by me at warp speed.
Updated On: 3/9/07 at 09:38 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#17re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 9:49am

Yeah, there wasn't much of a story. It was really Cats, but with trains. But the score is so much fun. "One Rock And Roll Too Many" is a gem. Does anyone realize that "There's Me" is almost the same song as "Think of Me" form Phantom?

*thinkpink18*
#18re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 9:56am

I saw it when I was little and loved it to death. Then again I was like eight so if I saw it now I would probably have a completely different reaction.

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#19re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 10:16am

This was the first show that I truly fell in love with (around the age of 3). My parents saw the show on their honeymoon to London and brought back the recording. I discovered it when I was very young and listened to it constantly for years. I would love to see a production to the show that originally made me love musicals. (The cast recording is still a guilty pleasure once in a while.)

Whatever happened to class?

gymdudeva
#20re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 10:32am

I also saw the touring company in DC in 1990. I think SE is much much worse than Cats (and I kinda LIKE Cats). There are a couple of nice songs, and one beautiful stage effect with lasers, but otherwise it was embarassing.

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#21re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 10:40am

This is one of my favorite ALW shows---simplistic, but it stays with you! Very family friendly.

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#22re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 10:56am

And I've mentioned this before, but the tour with the 3-D movies in lieu of the races was one of the worst theatre-going experiences of my life.

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#23re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:03am

I saw a touring production about 15 years ago at the Wang Center in Boston...it was so-so.

Then I saw the London production, which was much better...and quite enjoyable.

But it was really never meant to be more than cats on skates.

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

beyondblessed
#24re: Starlight Express
Posted: 3/9/07 at 12:46pm

no i'm not 13, im actually 20. But i wasn't born when the show opened up in London, and entirely too young for theatre while it was around in the 80s. how old are you like 70? lol