pixeltracker

how old were you when you were allowed to go into the city with friends?

how old were you when you were allowed to go into the city with friends?

ILoveMyDictionary Profile Photo
ILoveMyDictionary
#1how old were you when you were allowed to go into the city with friends?
Posted: 3/9/07 at 10:45pm

I'm 15 and trying to convince my dad to let me go into the city to see a show with my friends. He won't let me, even though he knows I know my way around and would only be going during the day.
Updated On: 3/9/07 at 10:45 PM

SweetQintheLights
#2re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/9/07 at 10:56pm

In the subject line, you say by yourself but in your post, you are saying with friends.
Which is it?

I am 22 am not thrilled going into the city by myself. However, that's a whole other story.

At 15, I would say no-- to going alone. To go with some friends, yea...I guess. I know some people say "NYC is as safe (or safer) than any other place." Whether I agree with that is another debate but at 15, I don't think it's the best of all ideas- especially if you are female. You may know exactly where you are going but that doesn't stop a person from doing something to you. Awareness is good but there is a certain presence of older people that "bad people" don't exactly go after.

Is this is all situations? No.

But you did ask for opinions...I think.

*runs from stone throwing*

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

ThankstoPhantom
#2re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the city by yourself?

Do you live far?

I'm almost 17 and live 2hours and 30minutes away...but I can only go by myself if my friend (who is in her mid 30s) meets me...

It's about the parent being afraid of liability and such...so although I am almost 17, I can't go without having to meet up with my friend until I am 18, a legal adult myself.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#3re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the city by yourself?

18. I know my way around but like how far do you live? Because it totally depends on that.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Shakespearean Profile Photo
Shakespearean
#4re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the city by yourself?
Posted: 3/9/07 at 10:57pm

I was 14 when I started hopping the LIRR into NYC by myself, but life was a little different back then. You know... steam engines, dinosaurs pulling rickshaws, old folks stuff... Can't you manage one semi-cool parent between you and your friends? :) Good luck!

ILoveMyDictionary
#5re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the city by yourself?
Posted: 3/9/07 at 10:57pm

I live 20 minutes away. I'd get there by train. I'd stay on the same train the entire time. And what I meant was with friends,without an adult.
Updated On: 3/9/07 at 10:57 PM

Fenchurch
#6re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the city by yourself?
Posted: 3/9/07 at 10:58pm

It's not about the age, in my opinion. Its about how you can handle yourself. I grew up in the city, lived right across the street from the Gershwin as a kid and now live behind the Palace theater, but for a while we lived in Brooklyn and my parents let me go out in the city alone when I was about 13 or 14 I believe, but this was the early 90s and while Times Square was still pretty much not what it is now, the city is still dangerous.

The best judge of whether or not you are ready is your parent, however. No one here can tell you that you should be allowed to do anything on your own, age is just a number, and no one can truly gauge your maturity level online.

Just my two cents.

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

SweetQintheLights
#7re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:02pm

The ultimate decision is really up to your parents- I don't think our responses are going to sway their decision.

Are you going to show them the thread and say "look! They went to the city when they were 13...?" re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c

Maybe one of your parents or your friends parents can go to the city with you and not necessarily hang with you but kinda...around you. Maybe you girls can go to the show and then meet up with the adult afterward. It'll probably make your parents feel more comfortable and if it goes well, it will show them that you are mature enough to maybe do it on your own next time.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

Studmuffn520
#8re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:06pm

im 15, sophmore in high school. hopefully i can go with my friends this summer. im hoping! i live and hour away on the train.

ILoveMyDictionary
#9re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:09pm

I was just wondering what the average age on here was, to see if I was being unreasonable about wanting to do this.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#10re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:14pm

I started travelling in by myself when I was 15 because I was in basketball at chelsea piers.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

gymdudeva
bwaylvsong
#12re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:20pm

I live in Brooklyn, but go to school in the city. It's about an hour-and-a=half train ride, and I've been doing it (usually) by myself since I was 14 (in the morning and afternoon). This year (I'm 17), I started riding the train at night. I have never felt like I was in danger

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#13re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:33pm

I began going into the city by myself and with friends when I was 14. Granted, I'd been living 2 hours away from the city my whole life, had been in hundreds of times, and was usually with friends who were older. I moved to the city (to attend school) a week after my eighteenth birthday.

I think it all depends on how mature you are and if you are ready. However, at 15, I think you should be able to go in with friends or alone, at least for a daytrip.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body
Updated On: 3/9/07 at 11:33 PM

TheEnchantedHunter
#14re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:34pm

I was travelling from New Jersey to NYC, by bus, alone, to see Broadway shows, from the time I was eleven.

Mayella Ewell
Maycomb, Alabama
Updated On: 4/13/07 at 11:34 PM

BobbyErikValjean Profile Photo
BobbyErikValjean
#15re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:36pm

Still not allowed to travel to the city with friends or by myself, and I'm 15.

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#16re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:44pm

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

brdlwyr
#17re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/9/07 at 11:57pm

Oh, MP you answered that question from history!!!!!!

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#18re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/10/07 at 12:09am

Brd, was that an insult????

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#19re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/10/07 at 12:13am

I'd say 15 or 16. I grew up in LA and moved to the city by myself when I was 19 and was fine.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#20re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/10/07 at 12:15am

Are you're friends the same age as you? Also, how many people would you go with and how would you get into the city?

Oh, and 15.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

Kelly2 Profile Photo
Kelly2
#21re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/10/07 at 12:23am

I started going in by train by myself when I was 14.

"Get mad, then get over it." - Colin Powell

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#22re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/10/07 at 1:20am

I went for my first time at age 14 with my best friend.

I go pretty often now, and sometimes in by myself to meet up with a few friends I've met from this site. I'm 15 now, and almost 16.

gymdudeva
isabel77
#24re: how old were you when you were first allowed to see shows/go into the c
Posted: 3/10/07 at 1:36am

i was 15 but I was def with a group of friends, not by myself and we all knew our way around really well so that's another factor that i would say is probably going to be important