Can Cherry Jones sing?

benjaminthemusical Profile Photo
benjaminthemusical
#1Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:32am

I met Cherry Jones this past week end at The National Theater
one of, if not the nicest person I have ever met at a stage door.
but... I was wondering if she could sing and if she can I wonder how she would be at playing little Eddie.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#2re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:49am

No,

But she can hum.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#2re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 10:58am

Little Eddie, Big Eddie, Crazy Eddie...she can do it all!

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Garland Grrrl Profile Photo
Garland Grrrl
#3re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 11:08am

I think she can carry a tune (didn't she sing in IMAGINARY FRIENDS ?) but little eydie requires someone with legit capabilities. cherry really isn't the right person for that role anyway -- she would be a fab big eydie in act II at some point but that won't be for years.

Mind is Mantra.
Updated On: 3/26/07 at 11:08 AM

MargoChanning
#4re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 11:14am

Jones co-starred with Swoosie Kurtz a few seasons back in a play with music called IMAGINARY FRIENDS by Nora Ephron which dealt with the feud between writers Lillian Hellman and Mary McCarthy (Jones played McCarthy) in which they both had to do a bit of singing and dancing (Jerry Mitchell did the choreography). While I thought that they both acquitted themselves admirably in both departments, I didn't get a sense that either had the kind of vocal chops one would need to be able to handle a lead role in a true Broadway musical, let alone something like Little Edie which requires a really first rate singer.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 3/26/07 at 11:14 AM

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#5re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 11:19am

Probably not, but hopefully that won't restrain her from doing MOTHER COURAGE one day.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#6re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 11:30am

I don't think she has the vocal chops, but I'd like to see her in that feature film as Little Edie a helluva lot more than I'd like to see Drew Barrymore. Isn't Little Edie in her 50s? How old is Drew? 25 or something?

blueroses
#7re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 11:33am

Drew is 32.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#8re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 11:37am

She's still too young!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#9re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 12:21pm

Jones could do Forbush, though!

PEACE.

benjaminthemusical Profile Photo
benjaminthemusical
#10re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 1:56pm

Acting wise I think there are very few thing Jones couldn't do.
I would have love to have seen her as the Angel in "Angels in America"

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#11re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 1:59pm

Oh Sue, some jokes never get old! See, I gave you that one.

I believe Drew is playing Young Little Edie in the film, and Jessica Lange is playing "second act" Little Edie. I could be wrong, but I thought that was how it was working.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#12re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 2:05pm

Then who's singing the solo in "Be Happy?"

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#13re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 5:58pm

She knocked the hell out of "It's Getting To Be A Habit With Me" in Doubt

Poster Emeritus

skingdom
#14re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 6:05pm

I think she should replace LuPone this summer.

Skingdom out.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#15re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 6:18pm

Like Margo said, she can sing well enough and would be fine in projects like MOTHER COURAGE and other plays with music. But I don't think she could vocally manage a run in a full-blown musical.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#16re: Can Cherry Jones sing?
Posted: 3/26/07 at 6:22pm

She would make an Awesome Desiree!!!

What great ones do the less will prattle of