Curtains, The Musical

rcbarron Profile Photo
rcbarron
#1Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/3/07 at 5:32pm

Don't you think this is a major hit? I saw Curtains two weeks ago and the crowd was laughing, giving robust applause during scene transitions, and seemed to love it. I know I did.

What do you think about it? I'm wondering if this Kander & Ebb creation will do well.

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#2re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/3/07 at 5:46pm

Welcome to the boards!

I loved the show and hope it will do well!

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like you've already found it! re: Curtains, The Musical

Here's a link to a thread about Curtains. Updated On: 5/3/07 at 05:46 PM

rcbarron Profile Photo
rcbarron
#2re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/3/07 at 5:48pm

Thanks. Debra Monk owned me during her "show business" tune. She was amazing don't you think?

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#3re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/3/07 at 5:50pm

Absolutely! And I'm glad to hear the show is being well-recieved!

I'm seeing it (for the third time) at the end of the month!

rcbarron Profile Photo
rcbarron
#4re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/3/07 at 5:56pm

See, that's what I thought. When I walked out of the show..I was like..."i could see that again". It seemed that there were so many jokes that when others were laughing I did not catch some of them...

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#5re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/3/07 at 7:05pm

Hey welcome rc! re: Curtains, The Musical

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Curtains. I loved Curtains. Of all the shows I've seen this season, Curtains has been my absolute favorite. I've seen it twice and have tix to next Sat. Matinee. Both times I saw it the crowds were wildly enthusiastic. The music; even though its taken some criticism, has been stuck in my head since I saw the show. "It's a Business" and "That-a-way" are great! But my favorite was "Show People". How did you feel about the music? Did you find it "forgettable."

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#6re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/3/07 at 7:14pm

It is indeed a big hit, though I found Grey Gardens to be the best of this season (and last season for that matter). I'm quite happy for Mr. Kander and Mr. Ebb wherever he may be.

rcbarron Profile Photo
rcbarron
#7re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/3/07 at 9:08pm

Without a doubt, "It's a business" is my favorite. I was actually in tears at the shear force and talent Debra Monk exibited during that song. The evening I was there, on a Sat night, she got a huge ovation and when she tried to get the show started again the audience would not let her...it was truly amazing to see the recognition. But this is not the only time those magical moments unfolded. David accomplished the same on several occasions...The music is great, "Show People" is good to...

BroadwaySinger2
#8re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/3/07 at 10:23pm

I'm seeing Curtains this summer and I absolutely cannot wait - it sounds wonderful!

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#9re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/3/07 at 10:25pm

I saw Curtains on Tuesday and I enjoyed myself so much. It is such a fun show, I couldn't stop smiling the entire night. I thought Debra Monk was fabulous as well. Her one liners were hysterical. I thought the dancing was great, Megan Sikora is incredible. I would definitley see this show again.

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

BDavis0092
#10re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/3/07 at 10:36pm

I personally found the music VERY "forgettable". I saw it a month ago and really can't remember a single tune from the show. I actually wish I had enjoyed it and I tried my hardest. I'm just not a fan.

www.youtube.com/BwayNY225

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#11re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/4/07 at 1:25am

jv92- Interesting that you made that statement about Grey Gardens and Curtains, as I saw the two on consecuetive days and thought Curtains was the much better show. It was much more memorable than Grey Gardens. I can't remember any of the songs from that show, and I was sitting in the front row!

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

Nick Plasia
#12re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/4/07 at 2:08am

Curtains is pretty baaaaaaaad.

madophelia Profile Photo
madophelia
#13re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/4/07 at 10:06am

misto625 - I felt exactly the same way. I saw both GG and Curtains and, while I admired Christine Ebersole's performance and was amazed by how they used the documentary's material for Act II, Curtains was overall far more entertaining and the music has stayed with me. I can't remember a single song from GG, whereas I'm still humming several from Curtains. The show put a smile on my face throughout. What more can you ask?

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#14re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/4/07 at 12:53pm

I haven't seen GG (but might this summer) but from things I've heard, I think Christine Ebersole is pretty much a lock for Tony for Best Actress. I really have to see the show to judge about the other aspects of the show.

I've heard the music to Grey Gardens and Curtains though, and Curtains is by far more entertaining and enjoyable, and I think that may appeal to Tony voters (if it was between the two).

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#15re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/4/07 at 12:59pm

Curtains and Grey Gardens are very different and I loved them both!

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#16re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/4/07 at 1:02pm

Yes they are different. But they are going to be in the same Tony category, so when it comes down to it, I think (music-wise), Curtains is more appealing, though Grey Gardens has some beautiful melodies.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#17re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/4/07 at 1:59pm

Debra Monk had some good one-liners, but Edward Hibbert's exit one-liners were the best!

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#18re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/4/07 at 2:03pm

Curtains would have been a GREAT show in 1956. A real tired business mans show.

But who cares. Debra Monk is in it and she gets me twitterpatted.

What great ones do the less will prattle of

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#19re: Curtains, The Musical
Posted: 5/4/07 at 5:20pm

I am still waiting to hear from someone who saw Curtains in both LA and Broadway, to see what has changed.

I saw it in LA in August, and found it very enjoyable. The best part of the show was David Hyde Pierce's comic timing/lines. I wish he sang better. I am very surprised/happy to see the numbers consistently above 80%, it has a good chance of staying around until fall when I may have a chance to see it again.

My favorite musical number was the one when they were bedding down and they kept popping up from behind the sheets.

I don't think it stands a chance agaist Grey Gardens. I think GG is a tight masterpiece. But, I have heard the GG CD dozens of times and saw it on Broadway and have only seen/heard Curtains once in the tryout/preview stage.
Updated On: 5/4/07 at 05:20 PM