Mandy Bruno+Les Mis= Awful!

Lauren_T
#1Mandy Bruno+Les Mis= Awful!
Posted: 5/12/07 at 10:30am

Ok saw les mis a few days ago...How the heck did Mandy Bruno get cast? She is awful!There are so many other girls out there that can sing her into the ground...how do so-so people get cast on Broadway? I see this time and time again...makes you wonder...It is almost like she had her agent call and say...Mandy wants to be in les mis...and they said..ok!. please, I seriously felt like my money was wasted when she came on. So disapointed! Ugh!

Updated On: 5/12/07 at 10:30 AM

massofmen
#2re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 11:04am

i concur. She is pretty bad. I could understand if they needed ticket sales and or...no thats really it.
I just don't understand how when you have one of the darlings of broadway waiting in the wings to be Eponine (Megan McGinnis) how do you cast this person who cannot sing this role. Seriously..Cannot. And let's not talk about the acting. Cause its dormant.

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#2re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 11:11am

I watch Guiding Light and the girl can't act so I was curious if she could at least sing... I guess not

I'm always curious how certain people get cast when there are so many more talented people out there

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#3re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 11:13am

I thought she was fine in "Beauty and the Beast" (the Pittsburgh CLO production).

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#4re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 11:16am

She is a nice girl if that saves her =D

massofmen
#5re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 8:30pm

my mom is nice, but she can't sing worth a poop. sometimes casting just boggles the mind

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 8:39pm

Well, I suppose I can think of a few other (pro) Eponines I've sat through in the past who make me think I can probably bear Mandy...not that that makes it ok. re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

theminutepast
#7re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 9:35pm

I expected Mandy Bruno would be bad. It makes appreciate seeing Celia so much more (not that I didn't already!).

theminutepast
#8re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 9:36pm

Lizzie, do you plan on going to NYC to see the revival? Just curious.

LizzieCurry
#9re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 10:12pm

Yes.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#10re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 10:32pm

Decided to catch the matinee today (May 12, 2007) and I have to agree: I saw Keenan-Bolger's understudy and she is far better than Bruno. But maybe she'll grow into the role as more time passes.

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#11re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 10:53pm

You know, Eponine is one of those parts where the actress can suck and the she’ll still have the audience eating out of her hand. There were people yelling “woo!” after On My Own for Dina Mori****a, who was the weakest of the eight Eponines I’ve seen.

Meanwhile poor Cosette is so underwritten than even an excellent actress in the role can go unnoticed or get written off.

I wish more actresses would play Eponine as a dark crazy character instead the martyr. If I were an actress, I think it would be a lot more fun to give Eponine some kind of borderline personality, because given her life, it’s easy to see why she’s go kind of crazy. What’s the fun in playing her as a meta-symbol for unrequited love? Oh yeah, you get lots of teenage girls kissing your butt at the stage door.

It depresses me that so many Eponiens are mediocre, because I am an Eponine fan. I like Eponine because she is a whiny wretched creature. (I’ve always loved the bad characters over the good; it’s Daffy Duck over Bugs Bunny for me.) Perhaps some of the actresses take the role for granted, because it’s written very sympathetically already. Meanwhile the Cosette actresses work harder to make something of that role because there is so little.

My point? It saddens me to hear (from what I’ve read around the web) that Mandy has taken the teenybopper approach to the role instead of inserting some much needed grit into the street rat.

LizzieCurry
#12re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 11:08pm

I like how Dina's last name gets bleeped out on this board. It's fitting, somehow.

massofmen
#13re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 11:17pm

was it ms. mcginnis?

p.s.
#14re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/12/07 at 11:28pm

I wish more actresses would play Eponine as a dark crazy character instead the martyr. If I were an actress, I think it would be a lot more fun to give Eponine some kind of borderline personality, because given her life, it’s easy to see why she’s go kind of crazy. What’s the fun in playing her as a meta-symbol for unrequited love?

On an earlier thread, Lizzie noted: If Celia is crazy, then she's more like the book Eponine.

I loved Celia's Eponine. She seemed to me to be portraying Eponine as two steps up from Anybodys, Tomboy of West Side Story, rather than a half-step down from Cosette. ( I think Eponine is slightly younger than Cosette -- and remember, she (at least when wrapped in her overcoat) does get mistaken for a boy). Celia was perfect.

Having said that, both Megan and Marissa were excellant as Eponine, though so much different from Celia's. The two times I saw Mandy Bruno [her opening performance and one week later], she seemed to me to be trying to portray Celia, rather than her own Eponine. I don't agree that she has taken a teenybopper approach to the role, but I do agree that she should insert some of her own grit into the role.

p.s. Hail Celia

wendy kroy
#15re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/13/07 at 12:32am

That is why it is incredible that Judy Kuhn got a TONY nomination for her portayal of Cosette in the OBC because that role is so unwritten. That just shows that the part can be played quite well.

Jimmcf Profile Photo
Jimmcf
#16re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/13/07 at 12:45am

Frances Ruffelle was the original and the best.

My mother always used to say, "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana." - Rose Nyland

wendy kroy
#17re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/13/07 at 12:47am

I agree. Frances Ruffelle was THE ABSOLUTE best. And Kelli James (her successor) was also brilliant.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#18re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/13/07 at 12:52am

Who did she play

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

LizzieCurry
#19re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/13/07 at 1:06am

Well, if Kelli James replaced Frances Ruffelle...then obviously, she was Valjean.

chino Profile Photo
chino
#20re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/13/07 at 7:37am

Wow! Good thing I am reading. I was about to see it again because I wanted to see the replacements. Guess not.

Lea can still do it! re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis

Colle
#21re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/13/07 at 9:59am

Please tell more about Kelli James as Eponine. I have not heard much about how she was like as Eponine.

allvocal Profile Photo
allvocal
#22re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/13/07 at 9:49pm

I didn't think she was great... I thought everything she did was pretty bad... strangly thou.. I didn't hate ON MY OWN.. random eh?

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#23re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/13/07 at 11:03pm

to reply to HumATune, The roles are written like they are in the book (which I like a lot...), Cosette is shallow, and innocent, and really not the focus of the "miserable" story when she grows up... Eponine, on the other hand, is a Martyr...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#24re: Mandy Bruno...Les Mis
Posted: 5/13/07 at 11:18pm

Kelli James played Eponine after Frances and was wonderful.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Videos