Grey Gardens London and National Tour

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#2re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:43pm

Yes!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#2re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:45pm

Wow, lucky Brits!

I hope GG stays open here, but it is going to be awfully hard to replace her.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#3re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:45pm

ooh i want a window card from the London production when it comes out now! i just got the window card for the Broadway one and i love it oh so much.

unckristen Profile Photo
unckristen
#4re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:46pm

I wonder if Maureen would get to star in the touring production.

"She sang each word, the angels heard ... They closed her mouth and shipped her south. The woman's done."

VIETgrlTerifa
#5re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:46pm

YES!!!

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#7re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:49pm

right but didn't Spring Awakening announce a tour a long time ago?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#8re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:49pm

Maureen Moore is the most obvious choice to star in the national tour, but I can't see this show doing well in terms of finances without a star in the role, unfortunately.
Now that Faith Prince is going to be in A CATERED AFFAIR, I wonder what actress, other than Moore, could play Big/Little Edie. If it's Broadway, Victoria Clark is the other actress I can think of but she wouldn't tour.
I was surprised to see they're looking for an October replacement for Ebersole, I didn't think the show would remain open till then though I'd love it if it did.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#9re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:50pm

This makes me so happy. I'll be happier if Christine tours. I wonder if Brits are familiar with the doc?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#10re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:50pm

Although I loved Ebersole in this I think the show could work wonderfully with other leading ladies.

Hey Tony road voters: NATIONAL TOUR!!! I repeat: "NATIONAL TOUR!!!"

(and this show doesn't have any teenagers doing naughty things!)

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#11re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:51pm

I think GG has a VERY good shot at Best Musical--the SA tour is a done deal and MP doesn't need the boost either--and never underestimate the GG cult...

I think Ebersole doing London and hopefully the tour is a great idea--maybe we can get back to having all out Bway legends tour in their big hits--the rest of the country deserves to see Ebersole, Stritchie, Donna Murphy, Audra--Ethel, Mary and Carol toured all the time!

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#12re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:52pm

I do hope this increases their chance at Best Musical.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#13re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:53pm

Victoria Clark would make an excellent Big Edie (Act I) and an excellent Little Edie (Act II). One problem: I think we all want Follies to come to Broadway. That won't happen so looks like she may be stepping into Christine's shoes if the show runs past October.

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#14re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 4:57pm

This is amazing news; I'm hoping to catch Ebersole but if I can't, I can't wait for the tour.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#15re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:00pm

Wow. I have to say that I find all of this very surprising. Surprising in a good way! Its great that Christine will take on the role in London and that a national tour will happen. With all of the different tours occruing in the future, does this mean though that the producers are anticipating a sweep at the Tonys?

I can see Maureen Moore doing the national tour if Mary Louis wins the Tony and does it with her. That way, there would be a name associated with the touring production. Concerning who would take over for Christine in GG, Victoria Clark isn't much of a name to tourists at all. I also can't see Victoria taking over a role for someone at this point in her career as well.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#16re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:04pm

can't wait til it opens in London! I hope it's a limited run lik Caroline Or Change in the National which was VERY successful!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#17re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:27pm

I'm not very surprised that they chose to announce the expanded productions now (as everything has been in the works for a few months.) With Tony voters increasingly looking for "road appeal," this is just the type of bait the producers want when people sit down to cast their votes.

In regards to casting--- Ebersole is only going to do the London production. The West End run and the tour are currently planned to happen around the same time, so she won't be able to do both (though I think her possibly appearing in a major market like Los Angeles for one city isn't out of the question.)

Though the press release states they're casting for a Broadway replacement for October, I think the show will sadly have shuttered by then. They're in reality only seriously looking for someone for the tour (a "name" with recognizable value ideally,) and though Maureen Moore is wonderful in the role and deserves a shot at playing it full time, she's simply not marketable (even if they did get Mary Louise Wilson fresh off a Tony win to accompany her, which is a very strong possibility at this point.) Finding someone able to perform this role who will be known by audiences around the country is nearly impossible, so who ends up getting cast should be pretty interesting to say the least.

If the show does make it past October (which I just don't see happening even if it pulled off the win for Best Musical,) Victoria Clark would be ideal casting (though her naturally refined and poised demeanor, perfect for Big Edie, doesn't lend itself to the second act nearly as ideally.) I don't see her being against going in as a replacement for a role of this caliber and notoriety, but if Ebersole can't sell tickets, how would Clark? It just isn't a realistic expectation.

Regardless, it is wonderful to see that people all over will get to experience this beautiful show.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 5/16/07 at 05:27 PM

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#18re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:33pm

What about Mary Louise Wilson? Will she go to London, too? She deserves to. Or will she be needed for a national tour? Any additional ideas?

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 5/16/07 at 05:33 PM

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#19re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:35pm

Well I guess I won't be able to see Ebersole in GG when I get to nyc next year...(if it's still open)

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#20re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:37pm

Right. I do agree mostly with you somethingwicked. Concerning Mary Louise Wilson, I do think she is more needed for the national tour than the London production. Concerning the tour, do we think its going to be a smaller one like Sweeney Todd? That was my initial thought when I read the press release.

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#21re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:39pm

Damn...I really wanted to play the role in London.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Kringas
#22re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:41pm

I can see Maureen Moore doing the national tour if Mary Louis wins the Tony and does it with her. That way, there would be a name associated with the touring production. Concerning who would take over for Christine in GG, Victoria Clark isn't much of a name to tourists at all.

Is Mary Louise Wilson a name with "tourists"?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#23re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:42pm

This is great! On the slight chance I might be able to go to London next Summer, I hope I can see it. If not, please, please let it come to Sacramento.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#24re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:42pm

No, but with the title "Tony Award winning featured actress for Grey Gardens" above her name, I think it would be an incentive to audiences.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#25re: Grey Gardens London and National Tour
Posted: 5/16/07 at 6:11pm

"Ebersole's year-long contract with the Broadway production will end in October 2007, and her Broadway replacement is now being sought."

They're playing 50% full houses in May 2007 mostly because of Ebersole's performance, and they're searching for a replacement for October? That's laughable.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 5/16/07 at 06:11 PM

Videos