pixeltracker

And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....

And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....

BroadwayPer4mer03
#1And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 5:42pm

I think it is a pretty tough year for this award. There is no clear front runner and no clear underdog. In my opinion, I think Jerry Mitchell WILL win while Rob Ashford SHOULD WIN. DISCUSS.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#2re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:27pm

Rob Ashford! He did really great work in Curtains and seems a likely winner to me. I don't know what everyone else thinks.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#2re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:29pm

Rob Ashford's choreographer for Curtains is absolutely horrendous, and I am a supporter of his. This one goes to Jerry Mitchell (but I have a fear Mary Poppins will sneak in there because of the aerial stuff; let's hope not!).

neddyfrank2
#3re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:30pm

I don't think that Jerry Mitchell will win this year. I think that this year it is going to Mary Poppins with a possible upset by Spring Awakening.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#4re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:35pm

i do not think spring awakening should win, from what i've seen. i dont know, but when a show originates in the west end, i dont know if they deserve too many tonys, unless the show is drastically changed, which it almost never is, as much as i support mary poppins. IMO

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

neddyfrank2
#5re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:38pm

Why shouldn't a show originated in the West-End win any Tonys?

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#5re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:38pm

I can't see Spring Awakening getting an upset in this category. The one real number where the choreography grabbed was in "Bitch of Living". I would like for Rob Ashford to win. His choreography was impressive (if not accurate with the time period) and was the one consistently pleasant thing about the production (this only extends to material and production values, not the cast).

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

neddyfrank2
#7re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:39pm

Rob Ashfords coreography was a complete let down from his previous work.

The only reason that I think Spring Awakening has an edge is because the coreography is something brand new and something that Broadway has never seen.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#8re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:42pm

Yeah, but there was so little of it and it didn't always make sense. "Mirror Blue Night": Melchior suddenly break-dancing? Explain?

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#9re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:24pm

THE PIRATE QUEEN, oh wait...

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#10re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:29pm

I loved Jerry Mitchell's work in DRS and I have yet to see Legally Blonde (hopefully Friday), but as of right now, Rob Ashford for Curtains gets my vote.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

goofy108 Profile Photo
goofy108
#11re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:32pm

legally blonde's is good but this one goes to curtains. just watching the preview video gets me tired. its unreal how much choreography there is.
there is barely enough to taste in spring awakening.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#12re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:41pm

THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGIN', oh wait.....

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#13re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:44pm

I would love to see Jerry get it...because I loved LB and I love him.

But I am thinking Poppins (ehh) or SA. I know I know...I mastered the Knees that they do in "My Junk" but you never know with the Tony Voters.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#14re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:45pm

I think it'll be Jerry Mitchell - esp. since he was snubbed for best director, and best musical. It'll be the bone they throw to "Legally Blonde"

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#15re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:59pm

He wasn't SNUBBED for best director. His direction is nothing special.

Jerry Mitchell will not win.

My money's on Matthew Bourne for MARY POPPINS.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Trish2
#16re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:08am

Too bad Andy Blankenbehuler (sp) can't be nominated for IN THE HEIGHTS. Although i didnt care for the show, his choreography was the best in NYC this season.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#17re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:25am

SPRING AWAKENING's choreography is at its best in "Mama Who Bore Me", "The Bitch Of Living", and "Word Of Your Body". It is not glitzy traditional choreography, which is why many people on this board don't get it.

But it is innovative, unique, and fits these characters' emotions in this particular show to a T. Bill T. Jones has been respected in the modern dance community for years. This is his first shot as a full on Broadway choreographer and he scores a home run. Expect him to take home the Tony.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#18re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:31am

You're right, Foster. People don't "get" the choreography because it's not glitzy and traditional.

You're so much smarter than the rest of us.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Chardonnay
#19re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/17/07 at 3:55am

I'm dumb and biased, but I'd love to see Jerry take this one. Whether he deserved best director or not (I haven't seen the show) the cast members praised the **** out of his unique approach. I'd really like him to at least get some recognition. Besides, the video preview shows some fantastic work by Mr. Mitchell... really new and inventive. My opinion.

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#20re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/17/07 at 5:56am

i dont see Jerry Mitchell taking the prize, I expected a lot more from the choegraphy in BLONDE

but i have no clue who will take it then, but I'm personally rooting for Rob Ashford and CURTAINS

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

Claire4
#21re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/17/07 at 8:41am

I think this, if anything, is the only thing Legally Blonde is going to get.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#22re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/17/07 at 8:54am

LEGALLY BLONDE's choreography is Mitchell's least impressive to date. He won't take it. Ashford's crotch-centered choreography is as excrutiating as THE WEDDING SINGER. He hasn't topped or even met the brilliance of his Tony winning choreography since MILLIE. Don't expect CURTAINS to take any Tonys home.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Claire4
#23re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/17/07 at 8:56am

Oh, believe me, I'm not saying it's his best. Hardly. I just think if they give Legally Blonde anything. This will be it.

Trish2
#24re: And the Tony for Best Choreography goes to....
Posted: 5/17/07 at 8:57am

Well, there is clearly no front runner in this category.

Mitchell came up short this time with bizzy, pedestrian, cheerleader choreograpy. With the exception of the synchronized jump rope number, the rest of the pieces were choppy, sloppy and had NO style. Too busy concentrating on the direction I assume, as usually his work is more definitive.

Bourne and Mears have no clue when it comes to Broadway choreography and this only helped that show fail in my opinion. Cast members flapping around in Tap shoes with no phrasing or "steps" is still mind boggling to me. And the walk around the proscenium arch suspended by huge wires was a cop out due to their obvious limited "show" vocabulary. Bourne fares better in other dance mediums.

Ashford's work on Curtains seemed the most solid and true to form. I wasn't a fan of his actual style, but his composition stayed true to the form, and he knows how to build a number in the traditional sense. He's done better work in the past.

Jones' work is SA actually showed the seamless transition form staging to choreography. You didn't know where the director left off and the choreographer took over, which in my book, is a successful collaborative effort. His use of the modern dance form really worked for this show and he was the right choice. Anything bigger, showier or more "Broadway" would not have worked. Though, I still did not come out saying that it was the best choreography on Broadway, only that it Worked. This may be enough to earn it the prize though.

Again, it could go to anyone in this year of lackluster dance.

Videos