pixeltracker

Regis and Kelly Broadway Week- Page 5

Regis and Kelly Broadway Week

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#100re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 9:42am

Thanks for the report! Did they talk to DHP?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#101re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 9:49am

I know I'm bias because I may be the biggest CURTAINS fan here. But that was damn good! Great representation of the show with "Show People" and the whole cast. Ms.Monk, David, everyone, it made me want to go see the show again. re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#102re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 9:50am

It is definitely the best song to use to show off the show, in my opinion.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#103re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 9:52am

Yes Rath, they talked to David - entertaining as ever and Ms. Monk - charming as ever. re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#104re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 9:54am

AUUUGGGGHHH!!!!

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#105re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 9:55am

Curtains did a wonderful job today with what space constraints they had. The choreography looked like it was made for the studio, even. Very good!

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#106re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 10:13am

I haven't seen CURTAINS yet so I can't tell how the TV performance compares with the stage version, but I thought it a very effective, upbeat performance. Lots of cast members, costumes, choreography. The audience seemed very enthusiastic, although I have to take into account that DHP is a TV performer and so were the other guests on today's show - Jerry Springer and Marg Helgenberger. Well done!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#107re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 10:26am

Tuesday 6/5 - Curtains peformed "Show People" with the entire cast- a shortened version.. that starts with David Hyde Pierce's dialogue... "Putting up a musical...most fullfiling part of......" I must say like their performance, with a little dancing , it makes the stage a little crowded with everyone there performing .. Of course, Debra Monk stole the whole performance-she was great ! Its nice to see-- one of my favorite actress- Karen Ziemba ( wish they at least talk to her and Jason Danieley too) But with a limited time and an entire cast- it does not seems possible.

My only thing is -I just wish they should have performed "Thataway" (since they will perform "Show People " on the Tonys) as I said.. I would like to see more of Karen Ziemba plus I love the song.. It was great to see Curtains...BTW- Kelly & Bryan(t) held a PLAYBILL-J*

Updated On: 6/5/07 at 10:26 AM

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#108re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 10:29am

Hyde Pierce and Monk aren't in Thataway, and they probably wanted to use them. Plus, there is a lot more to that - sets, etc. - that would have been difficult if not impossible to re-create for a tv performance.

unckristen Profile Photo
unckristen
#109re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 10:52am

I agree. Thataway would be too tough to do well on that stage and featuring David and Debra is perfect for that audience. Plus it was great for Kelly to keep talking about how this was her favorite show right now. Hopefully that will generate some more box office for them.

"She sang each word, the angels heard ... They closed her mouth and shipped her south. The woman's done."

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#110re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 10:55am

The cast seemed to be having a ball even with the constraints of the studio stage. That was a lot of dancing for such a small space! However if that song is any indication of the rest of the show and "definitely the best song to use to show off the show" it must be one of the most trite, derivative and lyrically forced scores to come down the pike in a long time. Yes that tune will be stuck in my head all day, but not in a good way. Too bad, I was looking forward to this.

PEACE.

gymdudeva
#111re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:02am

I haven't seen Curtains, and don't know much about it, but I sorta have to agree with Sueleen. It just looked like some generic song-and-dance number. I don't think it would make anyone want to see it.

But to be fair, all of these shows look bad when they perform on these talk shows. Even my beloved Spring Awakening has yet to impress very much, IMO. I guess it's just a different medium.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#112re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:03am

Haven't seen the show but the performance seemed really constrained in the studio. I also didn't love the choreography and the song for that matter. If they have a descent student rush policy maybe I'll try and see it over the summer...

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#113re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:06am

And...let's...go...up...stage...and...do...a...big...kick....
line! (cue applause signs!!)

PEACE.

Trish2
#114re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:08am

I must say this number is the best looking number to appear on any of these talk shows so far. They (producers, director, choreographer) were smart to adjust the number to fit on the stage and make it look appealing. Not at all like the bad recent presentation of SA. Those producers should rethink their "TV" strategy.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#115re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:11am

I think with SA it is a calculated strategy to make the show NOT look like a Broadway musical to lure younger people who would never be caught dead at Curtains.

PEACE.

unckristen Profile Photo
unckristen
#116re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:13am

I enjoyed the show when I saw it. It's not edgy or dramatic -- it's just fun. Personally, I questioned the choice of Show People for such a small stage, particularly since they are performing it on Sunday but I'm sure the decision was to do something to feature David and Debra as recognizable to the morning talk show audience. Thankfully, as Trish2 mentioned, they at least adjusted it for the smaller stage. As for the substance, if that's not your taste, then it's not your taste.

"She sang each word, the angels heard ... They closed her mouth and shipped her south. The woman's done."

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#117re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:17am

How would Debra Monk be recognizable to the morning audience?

PEACE.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#118re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:18am

>I think with SA it is a calculated strategy to make the show NOT look like a Broadway musical to lure younger people who would never be caught dead at Curtains.<

Of course, it's questionable whether those younger people would be the type to watch Regis & Kelly in the first place.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#119re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:20am

True, smaxie, but they do watch The View!

PEACE.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#120re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:23am

How would Debra Monk be recognizable to the morning audience?

- Well she did guest star on 3 ABC prime time hit shows.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#121re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:30am

...including winning an Emmy as Sipowicz's wife on "NYPD Blue".

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

unckristen Profile Photo
unckristen
#122re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:43am

Exactly. Debra Monk is George's Mom on Grey's Anatomy -- the daytime talk show audience knows who Debra Monk is.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#123re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 11:50am

I guarantee if you polled the Regis and Kelley audience before that performance and asked for a show of hands who knows who Debra Monk is probably two people would raise their hands. One of them would be Mother Monk.

PEACE.

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#124re: Regis and Kelly Broadway Week
Posted: 6/5/07 at 12:00pm

CURTAINS come off far better on R&K than SPRING AWAKENING did. Hopefully SHOW PEOPLE will be even bigger at the Tony's and really land in a room full of theatre people - it should be a highlight.

Videos