pixeltracker

The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07

The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#1The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 11:38am

This past Friday I saw the tour of "The Light in the Piazza" in Boston. I've been a fan of this show for quite some time, but had yet to see it live. I do however, still have the PBS Broadcast saved on my DVR and watch it all the time. I was thrilled to hear that Katie Clarke, or Katie Rose Clarke now, had joined the tour cast because I was such a huge fan of hers. I was so excited to see her, along with everyone else. I was not disappointed.

I'm going to start out by saying that this has got to be one of the most beautiful shows to ever grace the stage. I absolutely love everything about it. The music is gorgeous, the book is wonderful, the sets and costumes bring out more of the show, it's just all great. It is eye candy, as to quote Katie Clarke. Simply gorgeous.

Let's start with Christine Andreas. She was simply wonderful. I went in nervous about seeing her because I just can't imagine Margaret being played by someone other than Victoria Clark. That being said, she did a really great job. Her Margaret was much more of the disciplinary type, which was interesting to see. That doesn't mean that the love and care did not shine through, because it did. Christine has a really pretty deep alto which I enjoyed hearing. Sometimes it became too much when she was belting through "Dividing Day" but overall it was good. Her "Fable" was heartbreaking and her scenes with Roy were fantastic. My only qualms with her was her accent. In the first act she tended to slip out of it quite a bit and at some points sounded British. But as the show went on it got better. Great performance.

David Burnham as Fabrizio was absolutely wonderful. Spot on acting, and a beautiful voice! I can't say enough about his voice. It is gorgeous. His vibrato makes me melt. I really loved his interactions with Margaret. I still can't get over his "Ill Mondo Era Vuoto." It was breathtaking. My only qualm was, once again, his Italian accent. This was actually a problem with all of the Italians, except for Wendi Beramini (Franca). It sounded much to forced and not natural. But overall, a brilliant performance. Buy his cd!

And finally, the person who made the show for me, the wonderfully talented Katie Rose Clarke. Katie has grown so much in this role since the PBS Broadcast. Her voice is a thousand times stronger and her acting choices are even better. Katie is able to really show the change from the young, innocent Clara to a grown woman who sees the world through different eyes. I don't see Katie up on that stage, I see Clara. I cried extremely hard during her turning point of singing, "The Light in the Piazza." Her voice is stunning. I know we'll be seeing more of her for years to come. She is wonderful.

Other highlights for me were Wendi Bergamini as Franca. She was wonderful. Jonathan Hammond (Giuseppe) and David Ledingham (Signor Naccarelli) were great as well. I did not like Diana DiMarzio is Signora Naccarelli very much. To me, that is the role that is softer and quieter (well, until "Aiutami") and Diana's portrayal of her was much to, I don't know the word for it, fierce? At times she seemed to much like Franca and I find the characters to be nothing alike. Many other people like her, and I'm not saying she's bad, but I did not agree with the choices that she made. John Procaccino did a great job as Roy, bringing in the voice of the real world.

Overall, a fabulous production. If this tour comes to one of your cities, I highly suggest that you go see it. It was great.
Updated On: 6/3/07 at 11:38 AM

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#2re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 12:02pm

how long is it in Boston?

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

alliez92092
#2re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 12:05pm

The last performance is next Sunday.

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#3re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 12:09pm

Actually, next Saturday, but there's an added Monday night performance to make up for it. I'm seeing it tonight; can't wait!

Edit: Is there any merchandise being sold? I'd really like to get a poster and have it signed by the cast. I guess I'll just find out tonight, but I'd like to know how much money to bring.
Gracias Updated On: 6/3/07 at 12:09 PM

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#4re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 1:52pm

i'm seeing it on Monday with some friends :) very very excited! i saw it in NY and have only seen the PBS special since. i'd love to re-live it all over again

Jan2 Profile Photo
Jan2
#5re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 1:59pm

I am seeing it tonight and your review makes me even more excited! I absolutely loved Katie Clarke on the PBS special and can't wait to see her!

newsieboy23 Profile Photo
newsieboy23
#6re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 2:01pm

Any discounts? What are the cheep seat prices?

alliez92092
#7re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 2:05pm

Well my friend and I got our tickets from Bostix, but if you go to the theater an hour before the show you can get student rush seats for $25. We ended up paying $50 for orchestra seats.

mrs felciano
#8re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 2:09pm

Oh yay! I'm glad you liked it. I'm seeing it this Saturday. :)

IssaMe
#9re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 10:33pm

Well, guess you know by now (if you saw the show on Sunday night) that David Burnham CDs are sold in the lobby after the performance when David signs them and meets with audience members. No other merchandise is sold at this point...during Broadway Cares/EFA fund-raising weeks in L.A., Portland, and Seattle, other merchandise signed by the cast was sold (iincluding the tour poster). In earlier cities, Christine Andreas CDs were sold, but not recently. In Washington D.C., merchandise from the Lincoln Center engagement (posters, shirts, books, CDs, etc.) were sold in the lobby of the Kennedy Center and the gift shops there. In some cities, nothing is sold - it depends on the venue's concession arrangements.

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#10re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 10:40pm

Just wondering how the sets are on tour, in comparison to the sets at the Lincoln Center? How do the transitions work?

mrs felciano
#11re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 11:14pm

No merchandise! re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07

Glory Profile Photo
Glory
#12re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/3/07 at 11:24pm

THERE'S NO MERCHANDISE!? I wanted to snag a souvenir program or something at the show on thursday night. That really dissapoints me.

IssaMe
#13re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/4/07 at 8:14am

There is no tour merchandise per se and there never has been...only special items for the Broadway Cares/EFA fundraising weeks.

The only other time merchandise from the show itself was sold was in Washington D.C. and then it was the Lincoln Center merchandise shipped down to the Kennedy Center. No souvenir program was done for the tour. The cast CD is rarely sold at the show but readily available elsewhere.

In most - but not all - towns, David Burnham CDs are sold after the show (but not before or at intermission) and David signs them and meets with fans (even if they don't buy the CD).

Jan2 Profile Photo
Jan2
#14re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/4/07 at 8:29am

I was there last night and while I was sad to see they weren't selling merchandise, I did get a David Burham CD. He was so friendly and down to earth, and was kissing all of the older ladies.

The show was amazing. I was especially impressed by the set.

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#15re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/4/07 at 9:27am

ooh his cd has a lot of good music on it! i'm totally gonna have to snag it :)

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#16re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/4/07 at 2:47pm

Saw it last night; it was spectacular! I enjoyed Katie Rose Clarke on the PBS Broadcast, but she totally blew me away live! Her "The Beauty Is" and title song were amazing! I wanted to cry! David Burnham was also fantastic, I'm glad they got ride of the glasses thing that they had going for the first few stops of the tour. And Christine Andreas, although I missed Victoria Clark, was excellent as Margaret. If I could, I'd go back and see it again, but I'm completely busy all this week. It was phenominal. If you do not see this tour, you are seriously missing out.

Was anyone at the stage door last night? I wanted to get autographs, but I didn't have a pen. I didn't see anyone else at the door to mooch off of, so I just hung out at the intersection of the stage door's alley and Tremont street, and complimented the actors on their way out. Funny story; my friend didn't realize it was goign to be cold later on that night, so she was wearing a light shirt. Christine Andreas walks by and goes, "You need to put more clothes on! It's cold!". It was so cute and mother-like, and I was so surprised, that I didn't even get to compliment her on her performance. Oh me...

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#17re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/4/07 at 3:30pm

just a quick question: did David end up coming out the stage door or does he just exit out front? i'm gonna stage door tonight in the rain and i was just curious.

LilBwayLady Profile Photo
LilBwayLady
#18re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/4/07 at 6:34pm

Is anyone else seeing The Light in the Piazza in SF?

"A new chance, one that maybe has a touch of romance" -Jekyll & Hyde

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#19re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/4/07 at 6:36pm

Are you in a time machine?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#20re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/4/07 at 6:38pm

Lizzie, must be!!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#21re: The Light in the Piazza On Tour in Boston 6/1/07
Posted: 6/4/07 at 7:10pm

David's voice is so beautiful!

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

Videos