pixeltracker

Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott

Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#1Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:24pm

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/blogs/wolcott

Xanadu is kitsch, and camp, and self-critiquing kitsch-camp, a merry combo of A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum ("Calliope, come hither" "I'm already hither") and Mamma Mia!

Let me say what must be said, otherwise that subway mouse shall pursue me in my sleep.

I loved Mamma Mia! And I loved Xanadu, as did the audience, and I loved the audience for loving Xanadu.

It was like taking Ecstasy in Broadway ticket form.

Our love glinted and radiated and swirled like the reflections of the mirrored disco ball that crowned the climax of the show's pagan revels.

The belle of the ball is Kerry Butler's Kira/Clio. She is a flowing vision on roller skates, a blonde creamy confection of Olivia Newton-John, the divine Kyle Minogue, and Sarah Michelle-Gellar. She does things to vowels with her mock-Australian accent that should earn her a birdbath perch on musical-comedy Mt. Olympus. I truly, truly dug what she was doing, and I shall now pause to run a comb through my hair.

The supporting cast had it rocking, and I was tickled to see a former CBGB confederate, Annie Golden (former lead singer of The Shirts), taking a bow at the end as the audience clapped along to the finale reprise. Then we poured out into the streets, where there was a major police action near the Nasdaq HQ, at least a dozen police cars with lights flashing.

(more via link above)

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#2re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:26pm

I think someone is a fANADU.

SkierRob02 Profile Photo
SkierRob02
#2re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:27pm

Agreed.

"Theater is not only the meeting place of all the arts, but the return of art to life." -- Oscar Wilde

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#3re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:29pm

"Xanadu is kitsch, and camp, and self-critiquing kitsch-camp"

I love that quote.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#4re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:29pm

I wont be suprised if XANADU gets a lot of good reviews when it opens -It's gaining momentum!!!

J*

Updated On: 7/2/07 at 04:29 PM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#5re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:31pm

I had to laugh with this quote.. "It was like taking Ecstasy in Broadway ticket form. "

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#6re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:32pm

Wouldn't that be great! I am hoping for super reviews. Even if it does not happen, the theater will still be filled to capacity.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#7re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:33pm

Craig, how many times did you see the show?

Is it addictive?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#8re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:34pm

Craig- Is there gonna be a XANADU video preview here ? I can't hardly wait for that !

J*

WonderRobbie Profile Photo
WonderRobbie
#9re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:35pm

I saw the show from the stage yesterday... I will never sit in the regular seats ever again! More brilliant than the first two times I saw... if that's possible... :o)

WR: "Jeff, are you going get this game when it comes out?" JB: "I wouldn't be able to write another musical..." ~NY ComicCon 2/8/09

[believe]

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#10re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:35pm

"It was like taking Ecstasy in Broadway ticket form"

Haha love it!

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#11re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:37pm

I've seen it twice. Once early in previews and once to see Curtis.

There will be... ummm something for xanadu fans very soon... all in good time :)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#12re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:38pm

WonderRobbie- I agree with you- Second Time I saw it was better !

BTW- I love your avatar !! I will get a pic pose like that too & post it here (but after July 29th for my Grey Gardens' tribute) Nope - Better! I am going to dress like a muse !

J*

Updated On: 7/2/07 at 04:38 PM

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#13re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:38pm

I just got my 'bump' of E for July 20th!!!

GoSmileLaughCryClap Profile Photo
GoSmileLaughCryClap
#14re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 4:40pm

And Wolcott is no slouch. He's been writing great stuff for great publications for years....

James Wolcott (born 1952 in Baltimore, Maryland) is an American journalist, known for his critique of contemporary media. Wolcott is the cultural critic for Vanity Fair and contributes to The New Yorker. He also writes a blog.

Born in the suburbs of Baltimore, Wolcott attended Maryland's Frostburg State College for two years. From there, he moved to New York City to work at The Village Voice.

Since then, Wolcott has been a columnist on media and pop culture for publications such as Esquire, Harper's, the New York Review of Books, and New York Magazine. He was lured to Vanity Fair by the late Leo Lerman, then editor.

Wolcott wrote a novel, The Catsitters, published in 2001. In 2004, he published Attack Poodles and Other Media Mutants, a bitter critique of right-wing media in the US. In addition, he recently contributed the foreword to Geoffrey Beene's forthcoming book, Identity.

He is married to Laura Jacobs, a contributing editor of Vanity Fair.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#15re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 6:00pm

Please let this show hang on until I arrive in August! I'm most excited about seeing this than anything else on Broadway. I really hope it does well.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#16re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 6:10pm

I'm pretty sure that no matter what it'll be playing in August. I'm hoping for November so my sister can see it.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#17re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/2/07 at 7:02pm

It WILL be playing in August!!!!! :))

#18re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/3/07 at 11:23am

this show so rocks.. i can't wait to see it again..and again.
Updated On: 7/3/07 at 11:23 AM

broadwayjim42
#19re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/3/07 at 12:00pm

I agree with Wolcott's comparison to "Mamma Mia"--I felt that same way with the knowing laughter and/or applause at when and how certain songs were worked into the story. The difference is that "Mamma" attempts a streamlined, coventional storyline...this one's just a loose-limbed, unpretentious goof.

And I more I think about it, the more I want to see it again--onstage please!

#20re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/3/07 at 12:36pm

I have a spare tix for xanadu.
7/8/07 sunday night at 7:30, the night prior to opening.

row J seat 2 right orchestra (on the aisle)
do you or anyone you know want it?

PM me
can u help?
thanks

:)

broadwayjim42
#21re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/3/07 at 1:11pm

Also glad he mentioned Annie Golden--have loved her since "Hair" and "Leader of the Pack."

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#22re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/3/07 at 4:06pm

Don't foget Annie in Assassins and The Full Monty.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#23re: Xanadu praised by Vanity Fair Blogger Wolcott
Posted: 7/3/07 at 7:01pm

Xanadu sounds so good! I totally want to see it. I hope there will be an OBCR!! (Screams)

Videos