pixeltracker

Musicals with long stretches of no music

Musicals with long stretches of no music

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#1Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/5/07 at 7:16pm

The question about no overture has me wondering -- what musicals have particularly long stretches where there is no music? And which musicals have a long interval at the beginning with no music? Almost every musical I can think of has some music within the first minute or so (either as the opening number, underscore, or overture).

Tom148502 had mentioned Lady in the Dark as a show with no music in the beginning -- how long is it before the first number starts?

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#2re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/5/07 at 7:21pm

I'm not sure about Lady in the Dark but musicals like The King & I and My Fair Lady have only a few lines of dialogue before a song starts, not including an overture. Most composers these days like to start the show with a song to get the audience in the mood of the show.

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/5/07 at 7:21pm

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#3re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/5/07 at 7:24pm

Not including the overture, Babes in Arms has about five-six minutes before the first song.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Yero
#4re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/5/07 at 7:25pm

Drowsy doesn't start with music, and the Man in Chair speaks for a while before the overture actually starts.

"I have this mental image of Patti barreling down the street and pushing tourists out of her way." -colleen_lee

Jon
#5re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/5/07 at 7:37pm

As mentioned above, 1776 has a stretch of over a half hour with no music, about an hour and a half into the show.

Aqualline2 Profile Photo
Aqualline2
#6re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/5/07 at 7:42pm

With Jersey Boys, you have to wait a good 45 minutes before the Four Seasons sing their first of thier hits "Sherry." But, before that there are snippets of other songs from that era.

sondhead
#7re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/5/07 at 7:46pm

Les Mis

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#8re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/5/07 at 7:53pm

The long stretch of dialogue in 1776 is between "The Lees of Old Virginia" and "But Mr. Adams," which is about 30 minutes into the show, at best, not an hour and a half.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#9re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/5/07 at 8:41pm

Looking back over the past few years, Drowsy Chaperone probably is the new musical that goes on the longest before the music starts for the first time. IIRC, recent shows like Spring Awakening, Curtains, Jersey Boys, Mary Poppins, LoveMusik, The Color Purple, and The Woman in White all have music right from the get go, and in Grey Gardens, it starts very quickly.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#10re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/5/07 at 9:30pm

The Frogs act 2 has a lot of down time without any songs, but the first act is full of music.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

BroadwayAbridged Profile Photo
BroadwayAbridged
#11re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/5/07 at 11:26pm

The entire second half of Forum's Act 2. Typical of a farce; at that end point you don't want to slow it down.

- Gil http://www.broadwayabridged.com

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#12re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/6/07 at 7:50am

The Producers after the opening song there is that massive office scene before the next song.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Tom148502
#13re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/6/07 at 8:37am

"Tom148502 had mentioned Lady in the Dark as a show with no music in the beginning -- how long is it before the first number starts? "

There are several pages of dialogue between the leading lady, Liza Elliott, and her psychiatrist before the first musical numbers, which is the first of several musical numbers strung together with minimal dialogue. All the music in Lady in the Dark, except for "My Ship" occur during 3 musical "dream sequences." There are many scenes in the show without any music.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#14re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/6/07 at 9:19am

Lord of the Rings has long sections without songs, but not without music. Music is playing during action sequences like it was a movie.

husk_charmer
#15re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/6/07 at 9:37am

The Wizard of Oz goes about 5 minutes from Overture to Over the Rainbow, the Wiz has about 2-3 pages of dialogue before "The Feeling We Once Had"

Company goes for a bit too, before it's title song.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Josh Freilich
#16re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/6/07 at 9:38am

The only ones I can think of are in 1776, the Frogs, and Drowsy.

Les Miz doesn't have long stretches of no music, it is COMPLETELY music. Sung-through in the style of an opera.

"How could she just suddenly, completely disappear into thin water?" - The Little Mermaid

elvisitis1302 Profile Photo
elvisitis1302
#17re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/6/07 at 9:42am

"Les Miz doesn't have long stretches of no music, it is COMPLETELY music. Sung-through in the style of an opera."

I think that was supposed to be a joke...?

Also, Pacific Overtures has some sections that go on for a while without songs. Assassins as well.

trpguyy
#18re: Musicals with long stretches of no music
Posted: 7/6/07 at 11:39pm

Assassins

I haven't seen it, but was in a masterclass with the trumpet player from the revival (his name escapes me). Apparently there is 13 minutes of dialogue before a long, sustained, high note on the piccolo trumpet. 13 minutes of no music is awfully long for a musical.

Videos