pixeltracker

And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......

And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......

jimnysf
#1And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 4:22am

NY Daily News...

Lance Bass in orbit over B'way gig

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, July 6th 2007, 4:00 AM

He never made it to space, but Lance Bass is going to Broadway.

The former member of 'N Sync is set to join the cast of the musical "Hairspray" next month, the Daily News has learned.

Bass, a wanna-be astronaut who tried to buy his way onto a Russian Soyuz space mission in 2002, will take over the role of Baltimore dance show emcee Corny Collins when he joins the Tony-winning musical on Aug. 14, the day before "Hairspray" celebrates its fifth anniversary on Broadway.

Bass' cast mates will include Jerry Mathers, who starred in the classic 1950s sitcom "Leave It to Beaver," pop singers Darlene Love and Tevin Campbell, and fellow former boy-bander Ashley Parker Angel of O-Town...

Lance Bass

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 4:49am

Wow, am I the only one who thinks this is kind of sad? He went from making who knows how much money in N Sync to playing a small role in one of those shows that casts people like Hillary Duff's sister...

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#4re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 5:09am

actually...this is a very welcome news to me :P Anybody know how long he is gonna be there?
Updated On: 7/6/07 at 05:09 AM

FrontRowCenter2 Profile Photo
FrontRowCenter2
#5re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 5:31am

I don't think it's sad at all - if he still has all the money he made then more power to him for trying something new - we know he can sing, he can dance, not bad to look at - he might just do extremely well. Could be the start of a new career - and not a bad way to start taking "baby steps"

Yankeefan007
#6re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 7:46am

How did the News get that scoop before Riedel?

Parks
#7re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 7:48am

This is the first time Corny has been stunt cast, right? Interesting. Hope he does well!

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#8re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 8:00am

I think he'll be a good fit for the role.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#9re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 8:10am

Hell, he managed to voice-act Sephiroth and not get too many complaints. I'm sure he'll be fine. ^_^

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#10re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 8:23am

Good for him. We know he can dance, we know he can sing (deep sexy voice actually), and he's rather easy on the eyes. Joey Fatone has done well in theatrical ventures and I personally would love to see him in this.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

Schuyler
#11re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 8:24am

Wasn't this posted already. I think the thread was removed. Anyone know why?

Dreams595
#12re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 8:29am

"actually...this is a very welcome news to me :P Anybody know how long he is gonna be there?"

Lance will be in until January 6th, 2008.

Updated On: 7/6/07 at 08:29 AM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#13re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 8:44am

"Wasn't this posted already. I think the thread was removed. Anyone know why?"

Probably because it wasn't broken by BWW. That's what happened last weekend...

But seriously...I don't think I'm destined to see this show. I'm 0 for 8 in the "easiest" lottery to win without him in there. *sigh* At least my friend who entered the Ave Q lotto for me last night won, so I can cross that show off my to-see list.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

SCBWannabe Profile Photo
SCBWannabe
#14re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 8:47am

I am pretty excited about this....NSync was my life back in the day.....like yesterday! LOL

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#15re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 8:50am

This is probably jusst about the only thing that could get me back to see Hairspray again.

Fosse76
#14re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 9:06am

"Wow, am I the only one who thinks this is kind of sad?"

The only thing sad about it is the fact that half the "kids" in the show look older than he does. I think this will, at the very least, be interesting. Corny Collins isn't exactly Jean Valjean.

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#15re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 9:10am

No.. the reason it was deleted was the same reason that several posts from this thread was deleted. It's completely inappropriate to bash someone for their sexual preference.

That being said - I'll re-iterate the fact that personally, I object to the phrase "stunt" casting and prefer the phrase "star" casting. Stunt casting has a negative connotation it would seem and implies that the person is being cast for no other reason than their name regardless of talent.

Many of the people (celebs) who are cast in shows are not STUNT casting. They HAVE the acting/singing chops. They are being cast as "stars" very different.

Clearly Lance has talent, so to imply otherwise - for this role or another - is, in my opinion, wrong.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#16re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 9:31am

It's completely inappropriate to bash someone for their sexual preference.

Wow. I'm kind of glad I'm reading the edited version, then. And count me in on the side of those who think this might work.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#17re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 10:02am

well said Craig

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#18re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 10:29am

"Stunt casting has a negative connotation it would seem and implies that the person is being cast for no other reason than their name regardless of talent."

I didn't read the previous thread - what does the term "stunt casting" have to do with Lance's sexual orientation?

I have to slightly disagree about the term "stunt casting." I believe that actors are sometimes cast solely because of their name even if their singing/acting/dancing skills are mediocre at best. I'm not saying Lance is "stunt casting"; it's not fair to judge before you saw him perform in the role.

For some reason, I immediately thought Lance was going to play Link when I saw the thread title. He was always in the background during his 'NSYNC days, so I can't wait to hear him in the spotlight for once. I'm considering a trip to see the show.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#19re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 11:13am

It has nothing to do with his orientation. Parks made a comment about stunt casting. I was responding to two different "issues"

And as I said (which you seem to be agreeing with in a slightly different approach).. There is STUNT casting and STAR casting. Many times the stunt casting people are talking about is actually STAR casting.

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

millie_dillmount
#20re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 11:17am

Okay, I get that. I was a little confused by your post for some reason. re: And as of August 14th,  the next Corny Collins is......

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#21re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 11:18am

I like the term "star casting" a lot better, he will be terrific, can't wait to hear the stagedoor stories.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

JerseyScoundrel
#22re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 11:19am

Why Corny Collins though? Seems like a weird choice for Bass.

"This is a stupid story. It never stops. But we keep making lemonade! We're opening the biggest f***ing lemonade stand you ever saw!" -Walter Bobbie after a long day of Sweet Charity Rehersals (Newyorkmetro.com)

NJgirl
#23re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 11:47am

I actually don't think this is a bad choice in casting. I'll be very interested in seeing him. We know he's got the talent. Going with a "younger" Corny brings it more in line with the movie...and Lance will no doubt boost sales for the show.

millie_dillmount
#24re: And as of August 14th, the next Corny Collins is......
Posted: 7/6/07 at 11:49am

This is going to be one star-filled show if Alexa Vega, Ashley Parker, and Jerry Mathers are around when Lance is!

Videos