pixeltracker

Seeing Shows Multiple Times- Page 3

Seeing Shows Multiple Times

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#50re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:00pm

"Some people are generally theatre fans who see everything they can (ie people such as myself and many here), and there are those who are fans of A show, and see it multiple times. There is a difference."

There are even people who seem damn near everything, but still manage to make repeat visits to shows they want to see more than once...

Fiyero13
#51re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:02pm

Well i'm a theatre fan myself but I'm just talkin about the girl who's seen spring awakening 200 times or the guy who's sent rent 1100 times, seems like beyond a healthy obsession to me

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#52re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:04pm

^^ That's what I do. But for me, it's the way I relieve stress. I'm also free most weekends and live in Brooklyn. And frankly with rush and lotto, it can be roughly the same cost as going to a movie (when you include snacks).

I also use it as an incentive to get work done. Like Tuesday, I had a paper due for my online class (those are NOT good for my inattentive-type ADHD!!!), and I knew the only way to get it done was buy a ticket to a show. I'm working summer school. I had the extra money. It worked.

I'm also single and don't have a huge grocery budget. So that helps.

But I am picky. The show has to touch me in some way. My top four repeats:

The Vertical Hour (10) ~ a) It just hit a nerve. I totally related to it and loved it. b) It was a limited run.

The Drowsy Chaperone (7) ~ I have insane lotto luck with this one, and it's my "I've had a bad day and need to laugh!" show.

110 In The Shade (6) ~ MY show. I related to this even more than TVH. Absolutely moved by it and adored it. There was no question where I was going on the 29th.

The Year of Magical Thinking (5...will be at least 6 by closing) ~ I adore everything about it. And it moves me.

(oops ~ someone snuck another post in there. I was referring to the one two up by broadwaygirl107.)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 8/3/07 at 03:04 PM

Fiyero13
#53re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:09pm

jordangrl,
you've seen shows 300 times, haha i think u might have meant the above poster

and someone start fundraising to buy this girl a hairspray ticket

broadwayjim42
#54re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:15pm

I'm planning to see Xanadu again (second time) if I go to NYC, as I hope, later this month...however, for my second and possibly third (depend if I stay late enough for a Sunday matinee) show, I will be searching out something new.

I saw "Company" twice and the second time, very close to closing, was to pay my own personal tribute to it. It meant something special to me to go again and it was so worth it. Not every repeat visit is like that.
Updated On: 8/3/07 at 03:15 PM

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#55re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:15pm

What, like put them on "Intervention"? LOL...

Hee- can you imagine that "Intervention" marathon on A&E?:
Meth head...alcoholic...anorexic...sees too many Broadway shows...heroin addict...self-mutilator...
Updated On: 8/3/07 at 03:15 PM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#56re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:28pm

Thanks fiyero13. Yeah, yours snuck in there. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#57re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:44pm

I guess, I can only hope they brought a friend with them some of the time. I can also hope that they have or are planning a career in the Arts. You can get rush tickets. For this person, maybe, you buy a cheap ticket and see it often or an expensive one and go see something else.

I would just like to see something else. After the second time, unless you are supporting a friend or concept, how can you not find it too much? At least most shows change characters and sometimes views, so that helps it a little. It is easy to miss something in a show, that tempts me to watch it more than once but I like a lot of different things.

Some people just like the numbers too! Just so they can say I saw it blah, blah times. Now though about rehab. Do you send someone to really bad shows or really good ones to cure them?

As for it being better to sit in a Theatre verses your own Home? Depends? Often times on who is sitting next to you.

I would have a difficult time because I usually pick up the songs and want to sing. Haven't done it yet but I am dreading Jersey Boys because I know so many of the tunes. I won't but it will take some of the fun out of the experience for me. At home, I can sing, laugh, do a little dance! re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times If I want to.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#58re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 4:11pm

I would just like to see something else. After the second time, unless you are supporting a friend or concept, how can you not find it too much?

Because not everyone has the same frame of mind as those who prefer to see a show twice, tops? Hey, I never understood why people buy DVDs of TV shows (I just don't see the appeal of watching TV episodes over and over again), but I don't criticize -- more power to 'em if it makes them happy.

Also, it's not always the case that just because someone sees one show many times it's not at the expense of blowing off other shows.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 8/3/07 at 04:11 PM

istillbelieve24601 Profile Photo
istillbelieve24601
#59re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 4:21pm

I don't see the problem seeing a show multiple times with different cast members, and some shows you need to see multiple times just to absorb everything (Les Mis for instance) but once you go past twenty, I think it becomes unhealthy. True, seeing Legally Blond 16 times in 4 months isn't really harmful, but would it kill him to see it 15 times and donate the money for the 16th ticket to charity instead?

Cosette: Roses are red. Marius: Violets are blue. Eponine: You're so in love! Marius: And so not with you.

LizzieCurry
#60re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 4:23pm

I must be unhealthy, because I'm way past 20 for Les Miz. HOW-EV-UH, it took me 11 years to get there. What should I do, ethical oracle?

Rymes_With_Witch Profile Photo
Rymes_With_Witch
#61re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 4:26pm

"I mean, it's one thing to have seen Rent 16 times over the last 11 years (which I still a lot IMO, but a little more sporadic)."

I thought that was funny because I actually HAVE seen RENT 16 times, over the last 8 years. But it was over the span of 8 years. I normally need a break after seeing a show twice in a short period of time. I definitely agree it would be wise to see other shows too, if you have the opportunity. But, then again, maybe he has seen them and this is just his favorite. Meh.

I've also seen other shows multiple times...Wicked (4 times, twice w/OBC, once with Shoshanna Bean, and once on tour with Stephanie Block), The Color Purple (Twice w/OBC), Into the Woods (3 times, though they were amateur productions...I will go to any production of ITW to see their take on it) Spelling Bee (twice with the OBC) Les Miserables (4 or 5 times, tours and Broadway revival) The Pillowman (3 times...twice on Broadway and one regional production). As an actor, I think this is something we do because we identify with the story, and because we like to observe the actors and their performances, and the variations in each performance. And if its a favorite performer, we want to be able to see them as much as possible while they are still in the show. I see it as kind of part of our work/research. And its fun. :)
Updated On: 8/3/07 at 04:26 PM

Dollypop
#62re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 5:06pm

I've said this many times: It is a waste of time and money to see the same show over and over again. It's also a form of insecurity.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

burnsy Profile Photo
burnsy
#63re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 5:07pm

Updated On: 8/3/07 at 05:07 PM

LizzieCurry
#64re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 5:16pm

I've said this many times: It is a waste of time and money to see the same show over and over again. It's also a form of insecurity.

This is often true.

No, I'm not being a hypocrite. I never said I was innocent. re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times Or secure...

Updated On: 8/3/07 at 05:16 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#65re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 5:32pm

Lizzie, if you're not secure, I don't know how much hope there is for the rest of us.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

LizzieCurry
#66re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 5:33pm

Invest in velcro.

wonderfulwizard11
#67re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 5:39pm

*rimshot*

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#68re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 5:43pm

Do not see how they can afford it or why you would want to see a show a gazillion times

To each his own however

Poster Emeritus

wonderfulwizard11
#69re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 5:45pm

Because you enjoy it?

I saw Sweeney Todd three times, including once from the front row. I don't get up to NYC much, but I don't regeret any time I saw it. I loved the show, and really nothing playing at the time interested me.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#70re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 5:49pm

I refer to those who see a show 40/50 times or consider suicide if their favorite show closes

Poster Emeritus

misschung
#71re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 6:32pm

Well I would hope we'd all be concerned if anyone considered suicide anyway.

What's wrong with seeing a show 40-50 times? I know people who go to the same vacation spot ever year, stay in the same town, frequent the same restaurants. Is it wrong for them to do that, because they aren't expanding their horizons to the rest of the world? Some people never leave New York. They still have unique, extraordinary experiences within a specific geographic location. The same can be said for a certain show. I doubt anyone involved in any show, whether they are a performer or fan, has completely explicated it to the point where there is nothing new to be discovered.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

jojo1973
#72re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 7:03pm

Hi

I saw Damn Yankees the revival 14 times, Blood Brothers 12 times and Scarlet Pimpernel 21 times. I think when you fins something you enjoy see it as much as you want.

Dollypop
#73re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 7:05pm

...and you're bragging about it?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#74re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 7:44pm

As I said, to each his own

Since I am not J Paul Getty, i would rather see 50 shows once than 1 show 50 times.

Poster Emeritus