pixeltracker

Seeing Shows Multiple Times- Page 4

Seeing Shows Multiple Times

Dawn2
#75re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 7:50pm

And at the risk of fanning the flames re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times I'll just admit I saw Scarlet Pimpernel 1.0, 3.0 and 4.0, (not what I would consider an unhealthy amount)(and yes, I did see other shows too - my credit card companies love me - I'm quite well-rounded in my theatre viewings).

And you know what? Not one of those evenings of Pimpernel were identical. Whaddya know! Live theatre... (and Douglas Sills!)... Gotta love it!

To each his own, with love!

Malice Profile Photo
Malice
#76re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 10:51pm

the Legally Blonde guy is over the top, but I can relate to seeing shows you love over and over again. The first go around for Les Miserables had to be 10 over the years, Phantom about 5, Miss Saigon, 3, Rent 4 (And now that Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp are back it may be 5. Other multiple viewings have been Blood Brothers, Aspects of Love, Crazy For You, Hairspray, and Wicked. Hey there are movies I love that I could watch over and over again. Every time I watch Clerks the scene where Jay yells at the video store customer after Randall tells her off still cracks me up.

wickedislife
#77re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 10:59pm

Hey this is Todd, or as Broadway.com would call me "Steven" who has seen the show "Legally Blonde", 16 times. Yes, that is me in the picture on Broadway.com.

Ok well heres the thing.

Get a hobby? Well I have one, and it's Theater. What I do is perform and when I'm not studying or rehearsing I like to go see anything that has to do with theater. Is that wrong? I am not saying that Legally Blonde is the most amazing or inspiring musical ever to hit a Broadway stage, but to me it is allot of fun and it got me to leave that theater with a smile on my face. That in fact is why I have seen it so many times. I am a 16 year old who is battling major depression and this show is something that has really helped and touched me, believe it or not. I saw it the day after I got out of being treated at a hospital.

ALSO I have also seen every show on Broadway so don’t just assume that Legally Blonde is all that I worry about and my life revolves around it, because that is surely not the case.

Get a life and stop worrying about captions about people on Broadway.com

CK2
#78re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 11:47pm

I saw "Nine - The Musical" four times within a week in 2003 because my favorite actress was in it. That was an exception and I have to say I am from Switzerland so I usually come to NYC once a year (if that certain actress - see below - does something on stage, which is rather rarely). If I am very lucky it's twice a year.

I always try to see about 5 - 7 different shows (musicals or plays) that I am interested in during my one week theatre trip.

I personally would never see a show more than once, unless my favorite actress is in it. Once I am in NYC I try to see as many different shows as possible regarding the topic. I like the variety.

There's nothing wrong if a person sees a show several times when he/she can afford it and loves that certain show so much.

Updated On: 8/3/07 at 11:47 PM

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#79re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/4/07 at 12:13am

I've seen shows multiple (and I mean MULIPLE) times, but most of the shows I see repeatedly have been running for a long time. I often think the more I see my favorite shows the more I love them. Theatre is a live event. Every night is different. I love seeing how new actors bring life to their roles, I love revisiting a show when favorite cast members return, I love listening to the music and falling into a different world. I think that the span of time in which you've seen the show makes a difference. One of the shows I've seen repeatedly is Rent. As my life changes, different parts the show are more meaningful. Going to see Legally Blonde (though that wouldn't be my choice of show!) 19 times may need what this boy needs right now in his life.

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

Chrissy*J
#80re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/4/07 at 1:29am

While I've seen 10 or 11 shows, I've seen a few shows more than once. I've seen Spelling Bee 10 times since September 2005, but only because tickets are so easy to get, and I've been able to see every understudy go on, as well as the usual performers. I've seen Little Women 3 times (last time was the final performance), Beauty and the Beast 2 times, Les Miserables revival 2 times, and Grey Gardens three times. I think if people want to see shows multiple times, go for it. They're having fun and it's money towards the show.

Chrissy*J

somuchtodo
#81re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/4/07 at 7:21pm

I'm from the generation when deadheads would follow around "The Grateful Dead" from city to city for months. Mind numbing on so many different levels...

Seeing ANY Broadway show multiple times is more sane than that.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#82re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:41pm

I saw Legally Blonde from the student rush seats last saturday. The girl who sat next to me and my sister had obviously seen the show many, many times. The usher greeted her by name and said it was good to see her in her usual seat.

She was very young, but it still seemed kind of sad to me.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#83re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:48pm

When I saw it student rush, there was a girl who seemed really young that they all knew by name.

As I say, there are worse things to be addicted to than shows. Lots worse things.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#84re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:51pm

Eh, if it makes you happy, you can see a show as many times as you want. jordangirl, yes there are, yes there are...

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

shiz_student94
#85re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:55pm

I know what everyone means. I've seen Mamma Mia! 6 times. I haven't seen it since 2005, but that was my first musical ever, on and off broadway, and I was so young I never had a say in what I saw and what we didn't see. I've seen Wicked 8 times...yes, a little obsessive. Umm..I've seen a couple other shows two times...Other than that, Wicked 8 times is the most ever. If I lived close to NYC I'm sure I'd rush shows a lot. But I'm not close.

"Sing 'till you're breaking glass or you're breaking down"

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#86re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:59pm

Way back when I saw Bob Fosse's DANCIN' six time--but over a couple of years.

I've seen a few things twice: The original A CHORUS LINE, the original SWEENY TODD,
the original LES MIS....more recently, I saw Baz Lurhman's LA BOHEME twice.

And...fanadu that I am, I have seen Xanadu twice! I hope to catch it again this fall!!

bertandrew2 Profile Photo
bertandrew2
#86re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/4/07 at 10:59pm

Way back when I saw Bob Fosse's DANCIN' six time--but over a couple of years.

I've seen a few things twice: The original A CHORUS LINE, the original SWEENY TODD,
the original LES MIS....more recently, I saw Baz Lurhman's LA BOHEME twice.

And...fanadu that I am, I have seen Xanadu twice! I hope to catch it again this fall!!

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#88re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/4/07 at 11:51pm

I recently saw LB 3 times within 5 days.
It kind of happened by chance (Becky as Elle, Becky as Serena), but in no way do I regret it.

I've seen many other shows running and will be seeing many more. Seeing a show you enjoy isn't a crime.

I saw a show today that I've seen over 10 times, and I will now, probably not see it again. Bored me to sleep.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#89re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/5/07 at 12:18am

Oh well, it's true, there are worse obsessions. He said he sees other musicals and it is therapy? I just hope he doesn't relapse when the show ends. No obsession is good for you, if you go by the clinical terms for it. It is only a problem when your life becomes unmanageable because of it.

I was just thinking about ushers, performers, lots of people have reasons to see a show multiple times. I did though mention that before. It is just difficult for me to do. Many long running shows do have changes made over time, so that makes some sense to me. Definately different versions of the same show come up over time.

If I lived closer, I might see some things more than twice but that is the most I have ever seen a show. It makes perfect sense though if it is a part you are studying or want to play in the future. For some too, it is like their weekly routine. Some people have to see a variety of shows, while others are happy seeing the same show over and over again. It just irritates me when we are limited with our options and a sitting show prevents us from getting to see other great shows. As I get older, this seems to be a common trouble for me. I think most posters here seem worried about the obsession part, if it even applies here. It's nice to be known by the staff. For some, this is their social life, so it's like watching a television show. I only watch television rarely too.

I just wouldn't want to be annoying and it is difficult sometimes to enjoy a show when you know everything that is coming up for me. That is just me. The rest of you, it's your money, spend it as you like!

Midoria Profile Photo
Midoria
#90re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/5/07 at 8:52pm

Like someone else said, there are worse things to be addicted to, but I do find it a little odd. I guess it all comes down to the theory that frequent theatre goers are settled into two camps: Those that love the theatre in general and those that love certain shows IN the theatre. Personally, I'd rather see as many shows as I can. The only exception right now is my plan to see Julia's final performance, which will bring my 'Wicked' count to (2). After that, 'Wicked' is dead to me! I like to think of myself a member of camp number 1, but a part of me understands the second camp to a certain extent. Some people just get a thrill from certain shows. It's their drug. And to me, that's better than people who go to the same clubs and pubs night after night. Or people who sit at home watching the tube. At least he's supporting people doing something that, in my opinion, is way more demanding and takes way more talent to pull off (when compared to their TV counterparts).

It DOES bug me when people BRAG about seeing the same show a million times. Don't brag about obsessions. It's not cute.

"I'm-Not-That-Boring-Low-Ass-Girl?! You better go up at the end!" - Seth Rudetsky to Julia Murney about her Solo CD choice

#91re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/6/07 at 9:08pm

many shows I like to see more than once (if I enjoyed them the first time) because I don't remember a significant portion of the book as the book isn't preserved in a Cast Recording (usually).
Updated On: 8/7/07 at 09:08 PM

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#92re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/6/07 at 9:44pm

I don't understand people who shuck their shirts, paint themselves in their team colors, and follow their team around the country, but hey, whatever. I also don't get people who see the same movie 23 times in the theater; at least with a live show there's going to be something different, an understudy, a swing, a line delivery, a flub.

But as long as it's not hurting the person (like, they skip eating to see shows or something) or anyone else, what difference does it make?

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#93re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/6/07 at 10:27pm

Exactly! Plus, it's fine as long as
you're not eating bananas for lunch to save money to see the show.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#94re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:21pm

Yeah I saw Brooklyn the Musical 5 times, 4 times within its last month, but that was precisely why - it was its last month. I just loved that show to death.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

keely2 Profile Photo
keely2
#95re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:30pm

As others have said: if he has the money and the time...

If I had the money to buy proper tickets for one or two shows every week (I'm in high school, so I barely have the money to rush or lotto one show a week... and sometimes I just can't bring myself to spend the time), I probably would. Granted, I wouldn't go see the same show every week, but I would doubtless end up seeing my favorites several times.

Good Prattle, my very NYC-friendly interview website: http://www.goodprattle.com

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#96re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/6/07 at 11:35pm

I admittedly see certain shows more often but it doesn't take priority over basic needs. I know people who can't afford to eat or go out to dinner once and a while, but yet see a Broadway show. Also, it's always the same show. Unfortunately in a way, this show encourages this kind of behavior, I just find it a bit ridiculous.

The_Jackal Profile Photo
The_Jackal
#97re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:49am

I would have to say that there is a level of obsession that is plain unhealthy. As other people were saying, if seeing your favorite show repeatedly interferes with basic needs, you need to take a look at your life.
Other than that, let people do what makes them happy. I know there are several occasions where I've seen shows multiple times. However, I live very far away from New York, so when I get to see a show, it's usually because there's a tour or a local production, which aren't typically around for very long, so I try to catch it while I can. I also typically find some sort of bargain tickets (like rush tickets) so I can afford this myself, being a high school student.
There are just certain shows that make me happy and in many cases, it's about a bit more than seeing the show. I'll often go with varying friends or my parents and we'll wait in line for tickets together, go out for a meal before the show, watch it, and stagedoor together. It creates a memorable evening out that I really enjoy and I believe that seeing a show with someone creates a special bond between the two as I feel going to the theatre is usually a really unique and powerful experience.
When I see a musical, I feel like I'm being transported to a different world and meeting interesting characters who I (at the risk of sounding creepy) feel almost like friends to me and sometimes I want to go to these places and see these people a few times. Plus, it's live theatre, you never know what could happen. So that's why I see shows multiple times, and if some people don't like doing it, that's perfectly understandable, but if it makes people (like me) happy and gives them a hobby and a passion, I say go for it.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#98re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/7/07 at 12:58am

DRSisLove, which show?

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

StateOfJade Profile Photo
StateOfJade
#99re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/8/07 at 3:05am

Holla, Todd! Feel no shame! (This is yo friend Jan).

To put in my 2 cents...I've seen about 30+ different shows, both plays and musicals. I appreciate all kinds of theatre. That being said, I have seen RENT 56 times, and Spring Awakening 7 times, and there are a few other plays and musicals that I've seen more than once. Mind you, this is over the course of a couple of years. But is that so wrong? Like it was previously said...to each their own.

"I really liked the show--Wish I saw Boy's Night...Am I allowed as I am not a boy anymore:)"-duffyny1