Sweeney Todd Poster

SporkGoddess
#50re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 7:53pm

Well, she did say that no one would go near it because people think it's haunted. Maybe that includes her.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

jam_man
#51re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 7:54pm

"When they came for the girl, I hid 'em." "'em" being Sweeney's razors. So she probably went up there at least then.

That said, it's an adaptation, so maybe it's different (though him having the same razor's is a not-so-minor plot point).

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

Ghosthost999
#52re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:23pm

I kind of imagine Lovett went up there sort of often, being how obsessed with Sweeney/Barker she is.

Mythus
#53re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:35pm

Yeah, but would she really want a portrait of Lucy? If I were her, I'd destroy it and claim someone stole it.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#54re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:37pm

Maybe Sweeney was able to sneak a picture away with him to Australia?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#55re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:42pm

Loving the poster with a passion.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jacobp
#56re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:49pm

I F!@#ing love this poster OMG....the only thing i dislike are now the Johnny depp/hot topic "fans" are going to act like they are uber sweeney todd fans grrrrrr get outta our way CANNOT WAIT FOR A TRAILER any ideas on when it'll be?

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#57re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:51pm

Aren't they showing the trailer at ComicCon?

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#58re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:52pm

Well, the movie does need an audience to make money so regardless of who the audience is I hope people flock to see this. Perhaps if this movie does decent business more Sondheim shows (ie FOLLIES) will get the green light.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#59re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:53pm

Ah. A FOLLIES movie. Remember MichaelBennett's "hint" from a couple months ago? That was false.

ray-andallthatjazz86
#60re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 8:57pm

Well, LJay, Bill Condon did mention that he was planning on doing it (using Chapin's book as a starting point) until he met resistance (the Bennett state most likely) and plans fell through so perhaps MichaelBennett wasn't so wrong after all.

#61re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:00pm

I knwo the Bennett estate is notoriously tight but I'm not sure how much control they have on Follies as a property unlike Chorus Line onwards.

However James Goldman's widow is even more notorious for not okeying things liek using the original script, viewings of the Follies tapes at TUFTS, etc--she's the one I'd immediately look at

ray-andallthatjazz86
#62re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:02pm

You're right, Eric, I had completely forgotten about Goldman's widow. Ugh, Broadway!

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#63re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:05pm

This movie put me more at ease about the movie. I can be excited now!

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#64re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:19pm

Holy SH*T! I don't even care about the skunk stripe anymore. This is just too freaking cool!

I LOVE it!

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#65re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:27pm

re: Sweeney Todd Poster

-best12bars

-skibumb5290

worrell4077
#66re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:27pm

Well I guess the Dreamworks executive from that playbill article was wrong about the poster.

This is a link to a not as clear, but a bigger version of the poster:re: Sweeney Todd Poster

Now that the poster is out, the next thing for them to do is release photos of the rest of the cast and the trailer.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#67re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:30pm

^Your image isn't loading for me.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#68re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:35pm

Keep trying to reload it. I can see it fine on here. It is the clearest version of the poster I have seen yet.

-best12bars

-skibumb5290

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#69re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:47pm

Great poster!

I love the slightly illustrated look. And his sinister expression. It feels like the "legend" of Sweeney Todd.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#70re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:47pm

Not yours, worrell4077's.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

MiracleElixir Profile Photo
MiracleElixir
#71re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 9:54pm

Am I the only one who thinks this poster is all wrong?

"Sweeney" is supposed to be heartbreaking, immensely sad AND darkly funny. The poster layout, the tagline and the shock of white hair looks like Burton abandoned the first two and is going to be reveling in the camp and gore of it, which would completely gut "Sweeney" of its impact.

Oh well. I'll hold out for a trailer before I lose faith completely, but my heart just sank a little bit.

NCGuy Profile Photo
NCGuy
#72re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 10:22pm

MiracleElixir, the article linked in the first post says the poster was made “exclusively for Comic-con.” That’s a pretty specific audience.

Plexsis
#73re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 10:33pm

very high res! Feast your peepers on this!

re: Sweeney Todd Poster Updated On: 7/26/07 at 10:33 PM

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#74re: Sweeney Todd Poster
Posted: 7/26/07 at 10:35pm

OMG, TheActr97J, Your icon cracked me up!

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine