pixeltracker

"Doubt" Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?

"Doubt" Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#1"Doubt" Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:19pm

Has any one heard any significant rumors as to who they're pursuing for Mrs. Muller in the film adaptation of "Doubt"?

I can't imagine anyone more perfect for the role (or to go toe-to-toe with Streep) than Angela Bassett.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/1/07 at 04:19 PM

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#2re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:22pm

J-Hud

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#2re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:31pm

eddie murphy in drag.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:32pm

I haven't heard any substantial rumors though Angela Bassett and Alfre Woodard are the names that keep coming up.
I personally would love to see Chandra Wilson in the role. Isn't Bassett too old to be the mother of a 14 year old?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

somethingwicked
#4re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:35pm

Bassett is going on fifty (and looks a good few years younger than that.)

Her playing a woman who had a child at thirty six wouldn't be the least bit suspect in my opinion.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.

Funny Face Profile Photo
Funny Face
#5re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:37pm

She played the mother in Akeelah and the Bee, and that girl looked like she was about 12.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#6re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?

Given some recent headlines about older women giving birth, I would say that unless Bassett is 80, she's not too old to have a 14 year old son.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

ray-andallthatjazz86
#7re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?

Your right, I just always imagined Mrs.Muller closer to 40 (Lenox was 38, I believe when she played the role off-Broadway), not that it really makes any substantial difference.
Actually, after Wilson, Bassett would be my second choice.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

somethingwicked
#8re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:42pm

I'm almost certain "Doubt" goes into production in November, so Chandra Wilson will be all tied up with "Grey's Anatomy."

ray-andallthatjazz86
#9re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:53pm

You're right again, somethingwicked. I forgot GREY'S ANATOMY already started filming and won't be done till next year. There goes that.
I prefer Bassett to Alfre Woodard, I wonder who is actually been tackled for the role though.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#10re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:55pm

Oh, I want to see Chandra Wilson stretch her acting muscles fully. This part would be perfect for her, but I totally seen Ms. Bassett.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#11re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 4:58pm

Unless they expand the role, couldn't Chandra do it on winter Hiatus?

Just give the world Love.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#12re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 5:01pm

Halle Berry.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 5:06pm

Halle could do it.

crushgroove
#14re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 5:13pm

Although I have never seen Doubt as a play. I heard it's an emotionally wrenching play. I really don't think Halle Berry is capable of it. I know she won an Oscar, blah blah blah. But I really don't think she has tremendous range as an actress...

JB Fan
#15re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 5:14pm

"Your right, I just always imagined Mrs.Muller closer to 40 (Lenox was 38, I believe when she played the role off-Broadway), not that it really makes any substantial difference.
Actually, after Wilson, Bassett would be my second choice. "

I just looked up Ms. Lennox on IMDB, she was born in 1956, making her 48 in 2004, when Doubt was Off-Broadway.

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#16re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 5:20pm

IMDB certainly does say that. But IBDB says 1965. As she made her Broadway debut 25+ years ago in Ain't Misbehavin', I'm thinkin the 1956 date is probably correct.

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#17re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 6:30pm

crushgroove, I saw the play with the original cast. I think Halle would be up to the task. It is not a big part (The character is onstage all of 15 minutes) But I could see her pulling it off. I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded the role a bit for the movie.

somethingwicked
#18re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 6:33pm

The role of Mrs. Muller is being expanded for the film adaptation.

Several new characters are also being added for the movie, and ones we never saw (like Donald Muller) will also be featured prominently on screen.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 6:39pm

I've only read the play. But I am glad they are expanding it for film. It will need expanding to make it on the big screen.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#20re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 6:41pm

thanks somethingwicked. I kinda figured that would happen.

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#21re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 9:13pm

I can see a lot of women playing this role. Kerry Washington, Sophie Okonedo, Kimberly Elise , Sanna Lathan, Thandie Newton, Viola Davis, Jada Pinkett, Queen Latifah. All of these woman are outstanding and work very hard.

As for the Halle Berry thing, I am so sick of people saying she does not have range, she bore her soul in Monsters Ball, it is a raw and real performance. Very powerful to me, and her work as Dorothy Dandridge was flawless. Give me a break about the she does not have range. The look on her face at the end of that film is remarkable. I also dont get why the sex scene in that film offends adults. It is like go see a foreign film already!

ray-andallthatjazz86
#22re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 10:39pm

To this day, I don't see how Halle Berry has an Oscar, especially with the competition that year but that's beating a dead horse. Let's just say in my opinion Meryl Streep, Philip Hoffman, and even the young (yet incredibly talented) Amy Adams would all eat her alive, spit her out, and eat her remains on that movie so I hope she is not part of the cast.
On the contrary I think Chandra Wilson (who never fails to amaze me on GREY'S ANATOMY) would be simply fantastic in the movie but I doubt she'll be available. I was going by Lenox' ibdb.com age, I wasn't aware she was 10 years older.

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#23re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:24pm

I'd like to second Viola Davis for the part, or Regina Taylor. Oh, or maybe Regina King, who may be too young for the part.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#24re: Doubt Film Casting: Mrs. Muller?
Posted: 7/31/07 at 11:29pm

I second the idea of Regina King, although I agree she is a bit young. She has proved herself lately of being so versitile from her fruitless comedic roles to her deeper, more impassioned ones. Bassett is still number one in my book, though.

I am still disappointed with Hoffman though, TOTALLY wrong in my opinion. oh well.