pixeltracker

Broadway performers who smoke- Page 2

Broadway performers who smoke

Dover
#25re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/2/07 at 11:14pm

"My vocal teacher claims that everyone in theatre either smokes or knits. Everyone."

LOL. Probably true. Though I'm happy to say I probably know more knitters than smokers on Broadway.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#26re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/2/07 at 11:37pm

I know what Idina smokes.

Only the word around town is she's not the only one who likes to light it up.

re: Broadway performers who smoke

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

rgaywrites Profile Photo
rgaywrites
#27re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/2/07 at 11:46pm

Though this is a pretty silly thread, I can attest to the fact that there are indeed theatre performers who smoke. As with anything, there are exceptions and really, everyone has a vice or two. Some of my favorite times have been smoking on a theatre loading dock between performances on two-show days. During the AIDA tour last year, we were walking up to the theatre and saw what I later realized was about half the cast, mostly dancers, smoking in the parking lot between the tour bus and the semi.

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#28re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:02am

Foster, there were some pictures on BWW and comments about her and taye at Rent10 and what they had been smoking due to their eyes. The mods saw fit to remove the comments. Plus there is an interview on Youtube from the premier of Stella Got Her... Where she and Taye look LIT!

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#29re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 12:09am

There's a video on the Rent blog with Idina, and she looks [and acts] stoned all the way through. Haha. I love her.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#30re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:11am

I vowed to myself that I would never EVER smoke after I saw Les Miz, and saw Daphne Rubin-Vega smoking with a couple fiends after she signed autographs at the stage door... If smoking raveges one's voice like that, I NEVER get why singer do it... I'm a knitter...

ETA: but, hey its the smoker's choice, and I'm not the kind of person to stop others doing what they want as long it it doesn't bither me...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!
Updated On: 8/3/07 at 02:11 AM

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#31re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:20am

i seem to remember Shannon Durrig being a smoker.

Tkt2Ride Profile Photo
Tkt2Ride
#32re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 5:56am

I have known and heard of a few. Most do it either to change their voice or to avoid eating. It can ease anxiety for a short while. Backfires when you get addicted and then makes the problem worse.

It's a gamble with your health but some people have no trouble with it, except after paying the price for a pack of cigarettes. It should be expensive because of the high health risk, trash pick-up. Other than that though, I have seen smokers really try not to bother those who don't and only a few really make a stink about not being able to smoke in Bars and enclosed Areas. Yet no one makes anyone smoke, more than once or twice, so it is a choice.

I don't care, as long as I don't have to pay for their health insurance and they don't smoke up the room so I can't breathe. It is a very difficult habit to break. Everyone I have grown up around who smoked either quit or died. After seeing a really great Woman suffer and die of emphysema, I was convinced it wasn't for me. At least she went out on a train. It was all in her mind and quite a trip but I rather suffer and die another way.

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#33re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 11:22am

The wholw world should smoke...something, anyways!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#34re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:02pm

I don't know about Idina and Taye but if you ask me Lauren Pritchard is either drunk or high in this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzSW2bZfwwM

I know you. I know you. I know you.

LoringsGuy
#35re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:11pm

I've never understood why people say smoking cigarettes relaxes them. Nicotine is a STIMULANT, not a depressant. If anything, any anxiety you're feeling would be exacerbated by smoking, so if you think having a cigarette is relaxing you, it's all in your head because physiologically it's having the adverse effect.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#36re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:15pm

It relaxes them because they're addicted to it. Feeling the need for another fix, and then feeding that desire, would OF COURSE relaxe them.

ComaBaby01 Profile Photo
ComaBaby01
#37re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:17pm

I think the fact that it's a stimulant eases the anxiety because it makes the user feel more confident and happy, thus easing anxious feelings and even, perhaps, relaxing them. If only because they feel more confident.

"Love all; Trust a few; Do wrong to none." --William Shakespeare

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#38re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:23pm

It may be true that it gives them confidence but if given the choice between being insecure or dead what would you pick?

I know you. I know you. I know you.

LoringsGuy
#39re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:30pm

Nicotine increases your heart rate and gets you more hopped up----physically, you're NOT more relaxed. I think the correct response would be to say you've temporarily satiated your addiction and thus able to "function." To say you're relaxed is misleading.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#40re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 1:42pm

Sandra DeNise from the Jersey Boys Tour smoke.

Updated On: 8/3/07 at 01:42 PM

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#41re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:51pm

"Nicotine increases your heart rate and gets you more hopped up----physically, you're NOT more relaxed. I think the correct response would be to say you've temporarily satiated your addiction and thus able to "function." To say you're relaxed is misleading."

I don't agree!!! It may increase my heart rate but IT DOES RELAX ME!!!!

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#42re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:55pm

is fellatio...i.e. deep throating bad for your singing voice?

Just wondering.

Yes. That's why there are no straight females or gay men in Broadway shows.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

Lm4dham052 Profile Photo
Lm4dham052
#43re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:59pm

Cape Twirl- Great response...def made me giggle

"I used to want to change the world, now i just want to leave the room with a little bit of dignity"

Bruce Memblagh!
#44re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:16pm

I guess whether they smoke or not it is their choice. As with drinking or others. Just as long as they dont then start blaming their smoking for any vocal problems or illness they develop, or expect others to pay their insurance or to keep them in breath freshener - especially when attending the theater and in close proximity of non-smokers.

What I cannot abide are smokers who then moan because they have very little money! Serve them right totally.

So if they want to smoke, let them but let them accept any consequences that might occur.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#45re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:20pm

"I guess whether they smoke or not it is their choice."

Wait a second. Is somebody holding a gun and forcing them too? How can you even justify the idea that it's not a choice? Of course it's a choice.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#46re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:21pm

If the alternative to a cigarette is jittery, sweaty, crazy withdrawal symptoms...OF COURSE the cigarette will relax you.

Bruce Memblagh!
#47re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:24pm

"I guess whether they smoke or not it is their choice."

Wait a second. Is somebody holding a gun and forcing them too? How can you even justify the idea that it's not a choice? Of course it's a choice.

Oh lord, it's a turn of phrase dearie. Although the number of smokers who claim it is no longer a choice, but merely a dependency......

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#48re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:26pm

Yeah. Hmmm...I guess that's why there are smokers who manage to quit eventually. Because SUDDENLY it must become their choice, right? Suddenly they have the choice to say "I'm going to suck it up and deal with withdrawal" or "I'm going to ween myself off."

Bruce Memblagh!
#49re: Broadway performers who smoke
Posted: 8/3/07 at 3:26pm

"Wait a second. Is somebody holding a gun and forcing them too? How can you even justify the idea that it's not a choice? Of course it's a choice."

Someone has lost the point somewhere methinks.

Videos