Yankeefan007
#1Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 4:07pm

Is that normal...for any show? (Read article for more info).

PS: What planet is David Ian on? The Atkinson is across from Les Miz?

"You're performing within four or five blocks of arguably the best performances in the world," Ian said by phone from London. "Across the street is 'Les Misérables,' up the road is 'Phantom of the Opera,' and 'Hairspray.' With all due respect to regional theaters, this is a very different pressure."

http://www.startribune.com/1555/story/1356688.html

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#2re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 4:11pm

That must have been a flub on his part, because earlier in the article he says, "Now she was being mobbed by well-wishers after the first previews of the $10 million revival of "Grease" on Broadway."
But yeah, what a weird flub, the 1 and the 3 aren't even next to each other on the keyboard...

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)
Updated On: 8/12/07 at 04:11 PM

shesamarshmallow
#2re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 4:12pm

The expense certainly isn't reflected in the production. I wonder where all the money went?

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#3re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 4:13pm

Kathleen's salary?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#4re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 4:16pm

Well, Hairspray was 10.5, Wicked was 12? THIRTY MILLION DOLLARS?!

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#5re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 4:30pm

Young Frankenstein is a reported $20 Million, so it must be an error.

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#6re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 4:40pm

Judgeing by the strandards he proberbly meant $30

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

the_gambler3 Profile Photo
the_gambler3
#7re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 4:43pm

According to Variety it's budget is 9.2 million.
Grease gets Broadway boost

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#8re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 4:47pm

Wicked's budget was $14 million, not 12.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

sundaymorning6am
#9re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 4:54pm

LOTR is $50 million...

DrTheatre Profile Photo
DrTheatre
#10re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 4:54pm

Also, is he combined the two Grease's? Both in London and on Broadway, since he produced both?

"In the U.S.A. You can have your say, You can set you goals And seize the day, You've been given the freedom To work your way To the head of the line- To the head of the line!" ---Stephen Sondheim

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#11re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 5:02pm

No because the UK production of Grease has a budget of 75 pence lol

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

jimnysf
#12re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 5:06pm

MAybe the $30 million takes into account all the production costs and advertising done in connection with the dreadful reality show?

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

neddyfrank2
#13re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 5:10pm

To answer Yankees question, David Ian is on Mars. Or at least he belongs there.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#14re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 5:10pm

Isn't Spiderman supposedly around $50 million?

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#15re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 5:36pm

What is he going to say, there's two empty theatres across the street? I think the emphasis is supposed to be on the competition and standards around them.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#16re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 8:15pm

Has this man ever been to New York? God, the least he can do is look at a map of the theatre district so he doesn't sound like a complete idiot.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#17re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 8:34pm

I'm trying to imagine a $30 million production of "Grease!"

What would they spend it on?!

Maybe they'd actually build a real time machine and zap the audience back to the 1950s for each performance.

Greased Lightin' would be an old beat-up car that would "rebuild" itself into a mega-machine right in front of the audience's eyes via Disney animatronics.

The entire cast would fly out over the audience as backup angels during Beauty School Drop Out.

The chorus would consist of 350 singers and dancers...

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#18re: Grease has a $30 Million Budget?
Posted: 8/12/07 at 9:52pm

Well, he is right about one thing. This show (I realize he said Broadway....but in any case) is a very different game from regional theatre. Most of the regional theatres in my area do challenging work, trust their audience's intelligence, and do not pander to the lowest common denominator.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

Videos