David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#1David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:06am

When's he leaving? anyone know? I want to see the show before he leaves and we dont know how much time we have left...

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#2re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:16am

He probably has a one year contract. I don't think he's leaving anytime soon.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 10:45am

He's in the show until at least February. He said so at Seth's Chatterbox a couple months ago.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#3re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:17am

I bet they will try very hard to hold onto him in the show as long as they can since he was their one Tony win.

Dollypop
#4re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:22am

Actually, I think John Stamos would be a fine replacement.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#5re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 11:39am

I hope he stays until I get my butt down to NYC.

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#6re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 2:18pm

I still can't believe he got the Tony.

I just saw Curtains last week, and the show is WONDERFUL. . but Pierce's character isn't all that difficult to play. He was great in the show, but I just can't believe THAT was the standout performance of the year.

~Jacob.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#7re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 2:40pm

I have to agree. I saw the show last week. DHP is ok but not that great, he lost his accent about halfway through the show, only to regain it at the end. His signing was ok and his dancing nothing special.
After finally seeing it, I will now join the chorus "RAUL WAS ROBBED!"

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#8re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 2:48pm

It might not necessarily be a vocal workout, but that's a killer role nonetheless. Tons of dialogue, delivered at rapid pace, and both "Tough Act to Follow" and the final "In the Same Boat" are high energy and intricately choreographed. David Hyde Pierce makes it look easy, but don't kid yourself.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#9re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 2:51pm

Please don't let this turn into another whiney "Raul should've gotten the Tony!" thread. That horse has been beaten way to much...let it go already.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#10re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 2:53pm

I saw this on Friday night and thought Pierce was good, but not the standout. That honor went to Monk (and to some extent, Sikora). The crowd did go crazy anytime Pierce sang, dance, and well, uttered a word (at least initially). I liked him and his role was a fun one, but I don't think he did anything with it that any other good theatre actor could not have done. It wasn't anything that special. He got a full ovation though (not that it means anything these days), requiring me to stand to see curtain call.

I am far from a Raul fangirl, but his performance in Company far exceeded what I saw onstage at Curtains. Clearly they are different roles and while my preference could have been related to source material, other factors cannot be ignored.

Nonetheless, I hope he remains with the show to give it some visibility. Its a very good solid show with widespread appeal that is, well, original.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)
Updated On: 8/13/07 at 02:53 PM

StageFan2 Profile Photo
StageFan2
#11re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?
Posted: 8/13/07 at 3:37pm

DHP is signed through Feb.cubanpab. He isn't one to miss performances - but he should be due for a vacation soon, I think that would be the only concern.
Although I can't see any of the principle actors vacationing during the summer tourist season. Regardless of what's thought of his performance, I suspect a good deal of people are going to see David. Given this, you probably won't have to concern yourself with vacations until Sept. re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?

BTW - David is awesome in this role(IMO). He gives the show it's soul. One of the key elements of his performance is that he makes it look easy and natural. He breezes through the show as if it's something any one of us could accomplish. No easy feat. With little exception; from the time he makes his entrance to the time the curtain falls, he pretty much carries the show. Also, Debra Monk, Karen Ziemba, Noah Racey, and Edward Hibbert are all wonderful as is the rest of the ensemble. It's an assemblage of an amazingly talented group of performers.

Whenever you get around to seeing Curtains cubanpab - I hope you enjoy it! re: David Hyde Pierce in CURTAINS?