MuseOfVideoGames
#1Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 12:19am

http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/24/theater/main3405662.shtml

"Xanadu" Gains Fanatic Followers

"Fanadus" Line Up For Broadway's Offbeat Musical

NEW YORK, Oct. 25, 2007

By Mark Kennedy

Brandon Purves is the kind of guy producers of "Xanadu" only dreamed about.

He liked the Broadway musical so much the first time that he saw it again and again and again. He's seen it a mind-boggling 86 times and counting.

"It's nice to have an hour and a half to just laugh and not worry about everything else that's going on," says Purves, who works in fundraising for the Roundabout Theatre Company.

What makes his marathon even more unusual is that "Xanadu" has nothing to do with the Roundabout, which is instead staging "Pygmalion," "The Ritz" and "The Overwhelming."

That begs a question: Has he watched anything by his employers that many times? "Absolutely not," he says, laughing. "I can't see myself at 'Pygmalion' 86 times."

Purves, 28, is one of a legion of die-hard "Xanadu" fans who have fueled both excitement and ticket sales for a musical few thought would be a hit.

Swept away by the show's upbeat spirit, devotees will line up at the box office to get tickets for another viewing moments after the curtain has come down. They'll wait to chat with the performers, organize group evenings and swap photos and stories in a burgeoning online community.

"Xanadu" fans fly in from as far away as California. One married couple is so smitten that they've seen it more than 70 times between them. Some repeat customers get on-stage high-fives from the actors.

"It's infectious," says Jeffrey Suna, 52, a five-time watcher who works at a stock brokerage in New York City. "I sit there with a smile on my face from beginning to end."

Such a reaction wasn't always expected when the show debuted this summer. Many feared it would be mocked like the film on which it was based, the 1980 roller-disco flick with Olivia Newton-John as an ancient Greek muse who lands in modern California and grooves to Electric Light Orchestra songs like "Magic" and "I'm Alive."

But critics embraced the satirical script and stars Kerry Butler, Cheyenne Jackson, Tony Roberts, Mary Testa and Jackie Hoffman. Even after roller-skating injuries took out key performers, the show kept packing them in.

Fans, who've nicknamed themselves "Fanadus" or "The 'Du Crew," give multiple reasons for their affection: an uplifting script, a built-in movie fan base, familiar songs, the warmth of the actors and a small, intimate theater that lets audience members sit on stage for as little as $41, glow sticks included. Recently, 12 people dressed as ancient Greeks plopped down in the on-stage section, further blurring the line between audience and actors.

"The house manager said he's never worked on a show where he's had to tell people not to hold up cardboard signs," says Douglas Carter Beane, the show's playwright. "It's become this party that people come to."

Some celebrities also have gotten into the act. Isaac Mizrahi and Whoopi Goldberg both have attended shows, and Michael Kors' spring collection included a glittery pink dress introduced on the runway to the soundtrack of "Xanadu."

One of the first to fall in love with the show was Rob Tursi, 26, who was born the same year the film came out and calls it the "most ridiculous movie I have ever watched in my entire life." When he read in January about plans to bring an adaptation to Broadway, he knew he had to go.

"I nearly lost my mind," says Tursi, who works in real estate and has seen "Xanadu" 14 times. "I e-mailed everybody I've ever met. I was like, 'We have to go see this when it comes out. It's going to be insane."'

He and a friend caught one of the very first performances, stopping beforehand for a fortifying cocktail in case it was a disaster. "It was really an unbelievable show. I was like, 'We have to come back again, and sober,"' he says, laughing.

Tursi posted a flattering video review for a friend in California and, before he knew it, comments from across the country pored in. The actors even wrote to thank him for his support. "The cast is probably the warmest and the nicest cast that I've ever met on Broadway," he says. "That's the main reason why I think a lot of people have gone back."

When Tursi goes to the show now, the actors greet him under their breath on stage and he gets high-fives when they exit.

Brian Rubin, who does public relations for video games in Los Angeles, was converted during a Memorial Day weekend visit to New York. He caught the show that Friday and was lining up to see it again on Saturday and Sunday.

He's now seen now it a total of 25 times, not bad for someone who lives on the opposite coast.

"Having seen all the shows that I've seen in my life, it's one of the very few that I've become this fanatic about," says Rubin, 34. "It doesn't feel mass produced. It doesn't feel like every performance is the same." He recently attended a charity auction and won a bandanna and a pair of jean shorts worn by Jackson in the musical.

While other shows such as "Rent," "Wicked" and "Legally Blonde" have sparked their share of squealing fans, Fanadus seem to skew older and more professional, and includes many people who are veteran theater-goers.

"Most shows get fans, but the Fanadus seem to be oddly functioning human beings," says Bean, the playwright. "They're actually not crazy nuts. They're people who have lives."

One couple who has worked "Xanadu" into their busy lives is Andrew and Mei Francese of Brooklyn. While in line recently to see his 41st performance, Andrew, 40, an insurance underwriter, explained that he and his wife switch off attending shows so that whoever isn't at the theater can spend quality time with their 18-month-old daughter, who is, naturally, a "Xana-Baby."

"It's worked out so great because we have such stressful jobs that it's a break for her when she's here and it's a break for me when I'm here," he says. His wife, an office manager, has seen it 31 times.

The couple has even channeled their addiction into a means of helping others. They bought 16 on-stage seats for a performance on Halloween night and resold them to Fanadus, with all proceeds going to help Darfur refugees. Buyers also get T-shirts signed by the entire cast, wrist bands and Fresca.

Michael Lever, a three-time watcher from Van Nuys, Calif., thinks he knows why "Xanadu" has generated such devotion. Lever, 45, who works in TV marketing, says the show just feels right. "It has to have heart," says Lever. "You can have the right cast, a good writer, great songs, but the show has to take you somewhere, make you feel something. This does."

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#2re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 12:41am

Woo Hoo Die-Hard Fanadus!

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#2re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 1:59am

While other shows such as "Rent," "Wicked" and "Legally Blonde" have sparked their share of squealing fans, Fanadus seem to skew older and more professional, and includes many people who are veteran theater-goers.

"Most shows get fans, but the Fanadus seem to be oddly functioning human beings," says Bean, the playwright. "They're actually not crazy nuts. They're people who have lives."

Hmm, my checklist:
- functioning human being
- has a life
- not a crazy nut
- professional
- unsure how 'veteran' one has to be in order to be a veteran theatre-goer, but does see a lot of theatre
- has only seen Xanadu once, has seen Rent, Wicked and Blonde more

Seriously though, other than this little bit I thought it was a very nice article.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#3re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 6:58am

Congratulations to everyone re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story

BTW- Where's the picture that they shot last Oct. 20? -can't find it.

J*
Updated On: 10/25/07 at 06:58 AM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#4re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 7:12am

Was thinkin the same thing, J - what happened to the photos?

shesamarshmallow
#5re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 7:53am

Actually, sometimes the fanadus scare me more because they do tend to skew middle-age and professional. Leave the frightening obsessiveness to the teenage girls who have nothing better to do.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#6re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 7:59am

Oh my god theres gonna be no stopping them now!!! Heaven save us!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#7re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 8:04am

That's not really fair to say that... It is bec. youre middle age and professional you cannot be passionate about something else? and leave it to the teenage girls..

So.... The Middle Aged & Professionals should not be obsessed with a show (theater), though we accept certain norms in our society like gambling & alcoholism which are more negative and being passionate about "theater" which is more constructive & positive are critized.

And I know some of these people who were featured in the AP article and probably there are one of the nicest people and "normal " posters that I have known here at BWW.

BTW- I dont like the word, "fanatic" .. I prefer "passionate" -Just my thought !

J*

Updated On: 10/25/07 at 08:04 AM

WonderRobbie Profile Photo
WonderRobbie
#8re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 8:15am

Well I'm glad that everyone knows I'm an alcoholic now... lol
CHEERS!!! :o)

WR: "Jeff, are you going get this game when it comes out?" JB: "I wouldn't be able to write another musical..." ~NY ComicCon 2/8/09

[believe]

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#9re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 8:16am

How agest of you! Cant you read the light side of what i wrote? It was meant with no harm OK. I actualy saw the show last Friday night.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

shesamarshmallow
#10re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 8:21am

I say that mostly in the hopes that I grow out of my obsessiveness when I am middle-aged and professional. I hope to have things that I am more passionate about than a piece of theater, because right now I don't really, and that's sad.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#11re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 8:27am

I am not refering to one person. I am speaking in general terms bec. I know this is coming ....

By the way.... I also work with some middle aged & professional guys here in Boston and they spend almost 2K-5K just to see the RED SOX's game. Some of them have season tickets and I am sure they spend a lot of $$$ ..

Hey ..Why can't it be theater ?

BTW- I am not here to argue with anyone... Sometimes I dont understand my co-workers who are soo obsessed with the RED SOX , specially with the World Series. It seems to me that they are happy and not hurting anyone .

Frankly - I am very happy for them too. re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story

J*

Updated On: 10/25/07 at 08:27 AM

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#12re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 8:56am

One more thing...

It's very hard to put your real name, age and picture on the newspaper and say how much youre passionate about a certain show. These guys does not get anything... nada.

I really admire them for going out there ..so let's be nice to these guys re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story

J*
Updated On: 10/25/07 at 08:56 AM

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#13re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 9:05am

<< I say that mostly in the hopes that I grow out of my obsessiveness when I am middle-aged and professional. I hope to have things that I am more passionate about than a piece of theater, because right now I don't really, and that's sad.
>>

I have plenty of things that I am MORE passionate about--- my wife and daughter are REALLY the only things that matter to me (and the rest of my family, of course)

My charity work is more important as well.

Doesnt mean that I dont have other passions. I am a HUGE sports fanatic--- ( I know... sports and theatre NORMALLY dont go togehter, but my dad was the same way.

So, I am a middle-aged professional.... that obsesses.

Its all good. :))

Ed_Mottershead
#14re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 9:10am

YEAHHHHHHH!!!!! Sick that I didn't get a stage seat for Halloween, but I'll be there. I LOVE this show. PS: I am middle-aged, professional and the theatre has been my great love all my life. Xanadu is such a feel-good show that it transcends my feelings about "run-of-the-mill" theatre. And I LOVE theatre!! Looking forward to seeing the Fanadus next Wednesday!!!!

BroadwayEd

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#18re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 10:13am

Congrats guys, great article. Very fun.

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

guymy13 Profile Photo
guymy13
#16re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 10:47am

Nice article guys!

WonderRobbie Profile Photo
WonderRobbie
#17re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 11:28am

Thank you both! ;o)

WR: "Jeff, are you going get this game when it comes out?" JB: "I wouldn't be able to write another musical..." ~NY ComicCon 2/8/09

[believe]

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#18re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 11:32am

Excellent article. :)

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#19re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 11:59am

I hope to up my 'three time watcher' status next month upon my move to NYC.

(seeing my age in print. Yikes!)

:)

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#20re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 12:13pm

Yikes is right Singingbackup!!!! How do you think I feel?
I'm 7 years older than you - argh!

The story's starting to pop up on other websites...
https://kdka.com/entertainment/entertainment_story_298113137.html
... but I'd really like to see a print edition with our pics somewhere re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#21re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 12:25pm

Eh, I'm a kid at heart, to I guess it all balances out.

MuseOfVideoGames
#23re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 1:15pm

Does anybody have any clue as to why the story is being branded a CBS story and only showing up on CBS sites? I can't remember ever seeing the AP give a story to one outlet like that as an exclusive. Has anyone found it in print anywhere? I haven't seen today's Daily News or Newsday. Has anyone else?

Brian
(If you couldn't guess, I'm the Los Angeles videogame publicist in the story -- hence my screen name here...)

lois128 Profile Photo
lois128
#24re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story
Posted: 10/25/07 at 5:39pm

re: Associated Press: Xanadu - Fanadu - 'Du Crew Story

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." Sherie Rene Scott
Updated On: 10/25/07 at 05:39 PM

Videos