JONATHAN Sings LARSON

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#25re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/9/07 at 4:30pm

I've only gotten a chance to listen to the CD once through, but how wonderful to have this. Great liner notes. The first track manages to be light- hearted AND poignant at the same time. Can't wait to really listen to it again.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

exedore
#26re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/9/07 at 6:35pm

"I was surprised by "Boho Days" -- it's a trio performed by Anthony Rapp, Jeremy Kushnier, and Michael McElroy. Great arrangement. "

Sounds like they used the performance from last year's Library of Congress concert instead of the version on the TTB CD (which may be tied up due to that album's release by RCA). It was a great arrangement indeed.

Amazon shipped my copy on Monday, and the tracking number they gave me doesn't track a damn thing. Anybody want to guess when it really gets here?

Becky
#27re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/9/07 at 11:17pm

Sounds like they used the performance from last year's Library of Congress concert instead of the version on the TTB CD

Ok, glad to know that. You could tell it was live (plus the audience applause at the end) but I haven't read the insert notes to see if they told where it came from. I'm also glad they *didn't* use the TTB cd track - for we already have that cut - and it's nice to have something new.......

Clayford27 Profile Photo
Clayford27
#28re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/10/07 at 1:15am

"I was surprised by "Boho Days" -- it's a trio performed by Anthony Rapp, Jeremy Kushnier, and Michael McElroy. Great arrangement. "

I loved that track too, I agree that it is a great arrangement. :) Mine arrived a couple days ago, I was so excited! I loved the dvd, it was wonderful to see Jonathan perform, and I loved his backup! lol I'm so glad they made this, it's such a great thing to have.

There is only one you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself.

Anddou
#29re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/12/07 at 6:05pm

I want to buy this CD/DVD pack for my birthday, but I still don't know answer for sure about region code of DVD (but thanks LimelightMike for PM reply), so can anyone try to display region code for sure? I'm interested in it. But I don't mind really much, just a CD is still worth buying for me!

caitiesus1522 Profile Photo
caitiesus1522
#30re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/12/07 at 6:40pm

I have this and I was...very underwhelmed by it. There were a few amazing tracks, but for the most part there was a rerason this stuff was neverreleased in any form before.

BDrischBDemented
#31re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/12/07 at 8:14pm

Is the Roger Bart singing backup THE Roger Bart? I can't tell.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#32re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/12/07 at 8:42pm

It is indeed THE Roger Bart!
What's even more proof of that is Roger's TONY win for YAGMCB when he seemingly dedicated his win to Jonathan who he "dreamt of sharing this with one day'. What a kinship they had.

SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice Profile Photo
SimpleJoysHaveSimpleVoice
#33re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/12/07 at 8:52pm

Anyone know if it is due out on iTunes?

"Bad theater is better than no theater" Some smart guy.

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#34re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/12/07 at 9:22pm

I don't know. Probably at some point.

And - Rodger Bart was the original Josh in "Superbia" along with Valerie Pettiford as Roi

Marion Mazzie actually recorded some demos (including the original "Come To Your Senses") for Jonathan.

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#35re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/15/07 at 5:00pm

i must say I am very pleased with this cd. I have not yet seen the dvd but i should do that soon.

It's really great to hear the origins of two of my favorite shows and hear the emotion in Jonathan's voice. You can just tell that these songs meant a lot to him.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#36re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/15/07 at 5:07pm

I just got mine the other day. It's incredibly odd...but interesting. My favorite track is Boho Days, though. re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#37re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/19/07 at 10:21am

Just got mine yesterday, and I love it. Can't recommend it enough.

goodmorningbaltimore Profile Photo
goodmorningbaltimore
#38re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/19/07 at 10:23pm

I really love this CD! So glad it was released!! I haven't had much time to listen to it yet, but I'm in love with it already.

exedore
#39re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/23/07 at 3:12pm

Hey everybody,

Steven Nelson (CD producer) and Ashley Griffin (Asst. producer and frequent BWW poster) recently agreed to answer a thorough barrage of questions about the research and track selection process behind this album for the American Look at London blog. While the CD isn't directly related to London theatre (though there is a song about Jonathan Larson's first trip to the UK), it's my blog and I can post what I want to.

Comments are, as always, appreciated.
Jonathan Sings Larson CD Interview @ Rogue Zentradi

jenna2 Profile Photo
jenna2
#40re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/23/07 at 3:21pm

Thanks for posting the interview exedore. It was a very interesting read. Now I really hope they do come out with a volume 2!

Call the understudy / I can't go on tonight / I'm drinking with my buddy / I'm getting good and tight / Before they raise the curtain I'll be higher than a kite / So call the understudy I can't go on tonight

Anddou
#41re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/23/07 at 7:15pm

Dear Exedore,

thanks for superb interview, great job.

Your review of the disk: Can you write, if the DVD disk is regional coded to the article?? Many thanks, I am looking forward your review!

exedore
#42re: JONATHAN Sings LARSON
Posted: 11/23/07 at 7:25pm

Anddou: According to Mac the Ripper, the DVD is Region 0 NTSC. All of my players are either R1 (brought my computer over from the US) or R0, but as long as your player Does Not Suck, it should be able to convert for you.

BTW, the player listings at videohelp.com have all of the remote hacks necessary to free your player from region codes.