pixeltracker

Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical

Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical

jmacisawesome
#1Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 7:38pm

I saw Young Frankenstein the other day, and I'd been hearing wonderful things about some of the cast, Sutton Foster included. But I came out of the show finding nothing special in her performance. It felt like she didn't fit in the role and tried too hard.

So, I have a hypothetical question.

If Sutton Foster were not the NAME that she is (Tony winner for Millie, Broadway sweetheart, etc.), if she were not famous, and played the role exactly as she is now, do you think she would have garnered the positive reviews that she has?

Yankeefan007
#2re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 7:43pm

Yup.

jake6970
#2re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 7:56pm

How do you think she got famous in the first place? Great reviews.

Yankeefan007
#3re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 7:58pm

She worked for it like everyone else. It's not like 'Millie' was her debut.

jake6970
#4re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 8:03pm

Lots of people seem to think it was...but she worked very hard in the chorus before that in Les Miz, Grease, etc.

jmacisawesome
#5re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 8:05pm

I'm not saying she was bad in EVERYTHING she's been in.

I liked her in Millie, and I adored her in Drowsy. I'm talking about Inga. As a stand-alone role.

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#6re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 8:30pm

no, i agree. She had some funny moments in YF but i could see someone else do better in the role. And I loved her in Millie and Drowsy.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#7re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 8:37pm

i think she did a great job - i blame Inga's short-comings on Mel Brook's ego.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#8re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 9:46pm

Yeah, I thought she did a great job with sub-par material. I'd say the show is at fault, not her. I don't think I would've enjoyed anyone else's performance more than hers. And boy can she yodel (well, I thought so...I'm not an expert on yodeling).

mauriposa
#9re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 9:53pm

I agree with Gumbo. I haven't seen the show in its entirety yet, but from what I have seen, she isn't given a whole lot to work with in this show.

bebe de broadway Profile Photo
bebe de broadway
#10re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 10:08pm

I have to go with a maybe. I LOVE Sutton. She was fantastic in Drowsy, and is just an all around really sweet person to speak with, but she didn't spark in YF like she did in Millie and Drowsy. I know this is dumb, but her accent bugged me. I adore the movie and the campy over the top german accent is an integral part of Inga's character for me.

Sutton can sing and dance with the best of them, but I'm not sure the balance of her campiness was in check with the show.

On another note: anyone think that the first two songs of the show could be completely cut? I felt like they just dragged on. (and no scalpel in the thight?!?! That's one of the best parts of the movie!)

"I'd rather be 9 people favorite thing than 100 people's ninth favorite thing." http://youtube.com/profile?user=nekoexcel

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#11re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 10:15pm

I have to agree...I love Sutton Foster, but she fell short for me in this show. Yes, she was an awesome yodeler and might have done her best with the amount of material Inga has in the show. But, I just think someone else could have done better.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#12re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 11:29pm

I thought she was Hands Down the best damn thing in that show.
Yes, the material could have been better but she elevated it and charmed my sox off.
Is it the movie Inga? Hell no, but that is part of why I liked her so much, she made it her own.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#13re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/5/07 at 11:39pm

The funny part of YF for me was that other than Christopher Fitzgerald, I thought everyone else's parts were fine, but not sensational. IMO, he was the strongest performer of all. When I attended last week, it wasnt' until Fitzgerald's curtain call that part of the crowd got on their feet. I guess that's what Brooks was going for, the show being able to survive without major star power.
Of all the roles, Foster's will be the easiest to replace, followed by Bart's. Bart does not have a strong voice or dancing ability, but his comedic timing is strong but can be replaced by a dozen or more actors. Guess Brooks has the last laugh!!

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#14re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/6/07 at 12:37am

Yeah, there are lots of yoddlers out there?
I know a lot of cock-eyed comedians.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#15re: Sutton Foster in YF hypothetical
Posted: 12/6/07 at 8:30am

Good singers can be taught to yodel. Great comedic actors cannot be taught. No knock to Sutton, but the yodel was all she really does in this show but she does it well. Fitzgerald carries the comedy throughout. That's what made the show work for me. It's a Mel Brooks show, the comedy is foremost, it's not a Swiss Miss commercial. If that number were to be cut from the show, it wouldn't make much difference. If Fitzerald is cut, it changes the entire complexion of the show. That's the difference.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Videos