#1Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:11am

Is he playing Mark again?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:12am

No, he's in the Ensemble.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#2re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:14am

Although he played both Mark and Roger last weekend.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#3re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:24am

SOUTH PACIFIC next.

CurtainPullDowner
#4re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:24am

SOUTH PACIFIC next.

PlayhouseBeauty Profile Photo
PlayhouseBeauty
#5re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:47am

How do you know that south pacific is his next job and waht role is he playing?....if that is true, thats great for Matt...Congratulations!!!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#6re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:55am

Ugh WHYYY?

I hope he's got something new -- SP would be great. He's clearly very talented, but he needs to not be in Rent.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

PlayhouseBeauty Profile Photo
PlayhouseBeauty
#7re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 11:04am

I agree, Matt has so much talent. He stayed with RENT for 3 years as Mark and then goes back to be in the ensemble....I think we need a new show for Matt...lol...but hey atleast hes working!

luvtheEmcee
#8re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 11:05am

And at least he won't look so deathly BORED in a new production.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#9re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 2:55pm

And at least he won't look so deathly BORED in a new production.

A sign of a true professional.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

RentBoy86
#10re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 3:31pm

I don't get why he's back in it? Surely he has enough money to live on since he did Across the Universe or something.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#11re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 3:32pm

Maybe when you've been in Rent off and on for pretty much your entire adult life, it's like a rubber band. re: Matt Caplan back in Rent

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#12re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 8:10pm

That's really sad to have played a lead for years and years and then come back in the ensemble. Maybe the time off has made him less bored of the material?

colleen_lee
#13re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 8:13pm

A job is a job. You take what you can get.

He is on as Roger tonight.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

jezi Profile Photo
jezi
#14re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 8:14pm

He certainly didn't seemed bored the other night when I saw him as Roger. He was really amazing in the role, too. I think I was most surprised by his acting- some great choices I hadn't seen from other Rogers.
My only problem with him is that when I looked at him I kept thinking he was wearing the wrong costume, but really he was a great Roger.

Apparently he's on again for Roger tonight, too.

LizzieCurry
#15re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:45pm

That's really sad to have played a lead for years and years and then come back in the ensemble.

But it happens quite often.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#16re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:54pm

When he was on tour prior to comming to Broadway. He did lengthy stints both as Mark and Roger.

I do think that most of the current Rent cast that is there are people who tried to get gigs other places and it didn't work. Matt for example tried High Fidelity and we all know how well that turned out to be.

I have gone on record saying that I love this show. But, I think that the casting director needs to think outside the box in terms of casting. And not look at a list of people who were in the show in the last four years and rotate that list. I also think that Grief should visit that show soon. To say it needs to be tightened up is a tad of an understatment in my mind.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

LizzieCurry
#17re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:55pm

No, he didn't. He was never the principal Roger on tour, although he did start out as a double cover for both Mark and Roger.

Becky
#18re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/21/07 at 12:24am

That's really sad to have played a lead for years and years and then come back in the ensemble.

I don't find it sad at all. As a swing/ensemble, I believe he's making more money than a lead - has the opportunity to play different roles with a little variety - and isn't always in a vocally demanding role each night. What's sad about that?

Karmine Alers, Luther Creek, Shaun Earl, and the list goes on and on of people who've done the same thing - and I never found it "sad". Sometimes you also have to look at the roles that are readily available at any given time, and there's not always a lot to choose from. I'd take work where I could get it too..... Updated On: 12/21/07 at 12:24 AM

CurtainPullDowner
#19re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/21/07 at 1:16am

So Hoprfully he will stand by for Matty in SOUTH PACIFIC
This is shaping up to be an Amazing revival and He will be working in a High Profile Broadway show, Congrats to Him.

LizzieCurry
#20re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/22/07 at 10:40pm

This is shaping up to be an Amazing revival and He will be working in a High Profile Broadway show, Congrats to Him.

OK, I know Cappycakes/Tool/Camel has some crazy fans, but since when is he a deity?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#21re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/22/07 at 10:47pm

I must have been wrong bout him playing roger full time on tour.

That being said. Rent has had the same rotating cast for years and the same groupies going day in day out.

That is why he has a huge following.

I do hope that he has got a job in south Pacific. Only because it would get the entier group of Rentheads to see legitimate theatre and not just Rent or Spring Awakening or any of the other teen shows for the umteenth time.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

LizzieCurry
#22re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/22/07 at 10:50pm

Only because it would get the entier group of Rentheads to see legitimate theatre and not just Rent or Spring Awakening or any of the other teen shows for the umteenth time.

You must've missed it when a bunch of them migrated to Charlie Brown thanks to Anthony Rapp, or Aida thanks to Adam Pascal. I predict something similar (on a smaller scale) when Sebastian Arcelus starts as Bob Gaudio.

luvtheEmcee
#23re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/22/07 at 11:29pm

I don't get why he's back in it? Surely he has enough money to live on since he did Across the Universe or something.

You must not know how expensive it is to live in New York.

Craww
#24re: Matt Caplan back in Rent
Posted: 12/23/07 at 2:46am

OK, I know Cappycakes/Tool/Camel has some crazy fans, but since when is he a deity?

Shortly after he got his own Paperdoll set.

re: Matt Caplan back in Rent

It's the sales from these puppies that are finally gonna get him out of Rent, just you watch.

Videos